Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

canis is in the market for an XC90

Views : 2069

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread : Harley Dave

Old Yesterday, 17:58   #41
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Ah, so you were talking about opening them up and adding an LED strip to make them look [i]more like[/] the 2014MY lights than modded earlier ones...?

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 21:31   #42
canis
Non Fragile

My fuel cap isn't locking. None of the pictures I can find look the same as the rear fusebox in my car, and I have no sticker inside telling me what's what, so I've no idea which relay handles the solenoid for the fuel flap.

But following Tannaton's advice earlier, to focus on one thing at a time, I'm betting on the outside chance that fixing the alarm might solve this automagically. So I watched this video which I stumbled into in another thread. The final word on the video was "Now get out there and make an impact!" Alright E Freddy. I will.

So I had another cuppa tea. Then the words of Derek (Vice Grip Garage) rang in my head, "Remember; Your project won't work if you don't" and the ground was now dry, so I had no more excuses to procrastinate.

The alarm is held in place by a security bolt. I just about managed to get a grinder in there to grind it off, and found a replacement bolt for re-fitment later. It's a torx head, which i hate, but oh well. I hacksawed my way into the alarm and teased the connectors from the circuit. A liquid was seeping from the battery bank, but I don't see anything burned on the circuit board. It was only very little. The biggest issue was getting the batteies out, they're plastic-welded in and put up a sterling fight but I was victorious in the end and overcame their refusal to budge.

What these videos never tell you is where to find replacements. I highly doubt ASDA sell these. I suppose probably any rechargeable battery would do, but I'd like to match it if possible just for my own piece of mind, because this car isn't about experimentation. I need to put it to work, it needs to start paying for itself.

The batteries read:
Code:
N2H 280 E49
2 4 2 8
made in Germany
I'm unable to interpret that, but I expect google will know. There wasn't enough charge remaining to ascertain the voltage, but they're almost certainly 1.5v each since 3x1.5v matches logic gates quite nicely. I'll find something.

EDIT: A bit of web searching reveals they're 7.2v. I didn't look hard at the circuit, but I'm guessing this is so it can regulate a precise 5v for TTL logic chips. Carrying on...

So that's where I's up before rain stopped play. While I was putting a stand under the car so nobody would steal my jack in the night, I took the opportunity to crawl under the car and take a butcher's at the driveshaft. I can twist the driveshaft about five degrees, which I imagine is normal as gear teeth mesh one way then the other. Laterally there is a tiny amount of play at the rear UJ, it's tiny, but probably is enough to be the culprit. I then spent several minutes gazing in awe and wonder at the engineering. I need to learn more about this Geartronic business, because it's a vague term and an awful portmanteau.

Meanwhile, I can't find any play on the front wishbones, or any other bush. The front suspension appears to be in good order. The nearside has been replaced at some point in the last couple of years, it would appear. The offside is very rusty, but the bushes are still perfectly good. So I'm guessing a caliper is malfunctioning, so I shall take them off and give them a good workout, some fresh grease, and see how that goes. They're huge! But I suppose that's the weight of the car.

I can't wait to paint it underneath. I really want to pressure wash it all, but my outside tap sprung a leak last winter and my plumbing is terrible, so that's still a job which remains outstanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg accumulatorbattery.jpg (230.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by canis; Today at 22:04.
canis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 22:11   #43
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

hi canis the replacement battery is a stack of button cells shrink wrapped off ebay it comes with a plug which connects to the board. to fit you need to remove some plastic from the bottom part of the alarm i have a few alarm parts if you break or over cut any part of the case iv cut open at least six alarms in my quest for a serviceable unit i saw an xc on sainsburys car park earlier this week was this you?
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 22:21   #44
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
hi canis the replacement battery is a stack of button cells shrink wrapped off ebay it comes with a plug which connects to the board. to fit you need to remove some plastic from the bottom part of the alarm i have a few alarm parts if you break or over cut any part of the case iv cut open at least six alarms in my quest for a serviceable unit i saw an xc on sainsburys car park earlier this week was this you?
That wasn't me, sorry. Would have been good to meet you and say Hi. I think I'll order one of those battery packs from ebay. If I get stuck for parts, I'll give you a shout, thanks.
canis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 22:30   #45
Simmy
Premier Member

the one i got was abt £20 was the blue one check listings for suitability
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote