Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BLUE - 2017 Volvo V40 T2 R-Design Progress Thread

Views : 32576

Replies : 134

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2024, 15:44   #131
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
great write up as always iv followed all your posts including the v50 ones its alway good to see what other volvo folk are doing i'm not very tech savvy so dont post pics i don't even have a smart phone .. keep up the good work
Thanks for the support Simmy, really appreciate it.

It's good to know that people like what I do and find it interesting.

I just use Flickr for picture hosting. Upload the picture, copy and paste the appropriate link for the size of the image you want and away you go.

You could use any form of camera that lets you get the pictures onto a PC. Just a lot easier and quicker with a smart phone as you can upload directly to Flickr and it keeps the hi-res image quality etc.
I still have to use a PC to get the pictures into the thread though as Flickr on my mobile doesn't give me the same options. Plus I still much prefer to use a PC or laptop rather than a tiny screen on a mobile device........

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 17:28   #132
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post
Thanks for the support Simmy, really appreciate it.

It's good to know that people like what I do and find it interesting.

I just use Flickr for picture hosting. Upload the picture, copy and paste the appropriate link for the size of the image you want and away you go.

You could use any form of camera that lets you get the pictures onto a PC. Just a lot easier and quicker with a smart phone as you can upload directly to Flickr and it keeps the hi-res image quality etc.
I still have to use a PC to get the pictures into the thread though as Flickr on my mobile doesn't give me the same options. Plus I still much prefer to use a PC or laptop rather than a tiny screen on a mobile device........
Thanks for sharing the pictures and your progress on your car. Like Simmy, I also appreciate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 18:02   #133
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Thanks for sharing the pictures and your progress on your car. Like Simmy, I also appreciate it.
Thanks Kev, means a lot buddy.

Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
The Following User Says Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2024, 17:22   #134
Petey80
Premier Member

Default Jaguar Wheel Nuts and another Wash & Wax

Just a little update today.

Got a new set of Jaguar wheel nuts the other day to go with the Jaguar alloys at the end of the month.

Ordered them from e-bay

Went for full black ones as I didn't fancy chrome or silver

Perfect fit, well the 1 I tested was a perfect fit. Sure the other 19 will be as well.

19mm head and M12x1.5 thread pattern.

I know they probably won't go with my bright silver wheels, but they'll be covered by these anyway

I just hope the yellow caps go with the bright silver wheels and yellow calipers...

And as it was a lovely cool, fairly overcast morning, I gave Blue another wash and wax.

Put down a layer of Soft99 Mirror Shine over the majority of the car and used their Fusso Coat on the rear spoiler and bottom part of the boot.

I used a microfiber applicator pad for the mirror shine, but it didn't feel as good going on as it did with a dedicated microfiber cloth. I'm unsure as to where that one went....?????

Used the FibreKing shampoo today and it was pretty decent. Plenty of soapy suds. Didn't take any wash pics as the wife was also doing her car and the sun kept popping out so I didn't have time as I had to fight with everything drying on the car.

10 days to go until the wheels are in for their refurb. Then on the 13th day, they'll be on the car and an alignment will be done, just to be on the safe side.
I know changing wheels doesn't affect alignment, only suspension components do. However, it was done when the NSF suspension arm was renewed at the time of purchase.

I also had it checked when I got the Goodyear's on the back end. It was fine then, the OSR was just out, but nothing to worry about.

I just feel with going to 18 inch wheels and fronts being 7.5 inch wide and the rears being 8.5 inch wide it'll be better to get it checked over and any little adjustments done so the brand new tyres don't get wiped out.

I'll be travelling a decent distance to get the alignment, so that should help things settle in. I finally found a decent garage that knows how to align a car so have taken my V50 and the wifes i10 there and shortly Blue will go there as well.

They're that good, in my opinion, that even if you have a worn out front anti roll bar or steps in tyre tread or anything that isn't right, they'll mention it to you before they carry out any adjustments.
I took my V50 there once and they explained the tyres had steps in them so probably wouldn't wear that well even after an alignment.
Told them I was planning on putting 16's on soon and they said to leave it and come back when the 16's are on and they'll do it then. Never had to go back after they did it and the tyres wore perfectly.

They use a Hunter system, but it's just the fact they actually know how to use it and know what they're doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 00:43   #135
Kev0607
Premier Member

A decent alignment place is hard to find nowadays. Its not just about the equipment, its knowing how to use it. There's no point doing an alignment if there's worn suspension parts or dodgy tyres as you mentioned, yet most alignment places don't even look at the suspension. All they do is; Put the car up on the ramp, make sure the steering is straight and lock it in place, use the lasers to do the necessary adjustments, give you a printout that shows its within spec, then you pay (or sometimes pay upfront!) and you're out the door. Next car comes and the next...

That printout is their proof. If that says its within spec, even though there's play in the suspension that they didn't look for, you haven't really got a leg to stand on. They could turn around and say you hit a pothole down the road and that put the alignment out or damaged the control arm or ball joint. There's no proof of anything.

Honesty and good workmanship goes a long way, but business is overtaking honesty nowadays and has done for a long time. More often than not, the people doing these alignments that don't bother to check for suspension wear before aligning a car aren't even mechanics. So even if there was a problem, they couldn't fix it. All they're interested in is money. They don't want to turn custom away.

Last edited by Kev0607; Yesterday at 00:50.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote