Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on spare parts please

Views : 154

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2024, 00:36   #1
Lifes too short

Default Advice on spare parts please

Hello all, I recently bought a 1988(K jet) manual 240 saloon with around 100,000 miles on it. I have had a few different Volvo's before but this is my first 240. I had hoped to have it as a second car and slowly work on it and enjoy the learning process along the way. Long story short I only have my 240 now and I need a somewhat reliable daily driver for work( 30 miles daily mon-fri).
I don't have a lot of experience working with cars but am a handyman as my job . With a combination of professor YouTube and my trusty Haynes manual I think I can do most things.
I will be changing leads, plugs, distributor cap. all filters and fluids. Cam belt,auxillary belts and oil seals. I will also be switching the fuse box to the blade type. I will be carrying a fuel pump relay as a spare with me as I read that this is a common fail point.
I would like to ask what other things people would recommend to replace and/or carry as a spare part to be able to do roadside repairs?
I really want to keep this car and I am willing to put the work in .
Any advice will be greatly received .
Thankyou.
Lifes too short is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lifes too short For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2024, 10:47   #2
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Hi:~
I have the same car/model as yourself. firstly they are brilliant cars to own & work on, nothing complicated in terms of technology to hold you back.

Your initial servicing list is fine (I have done the same) keep the older ignition parts that you remove as spares, purchase the the best parts you can-I don't specifically get hung up on Volvo labels but do get decent items.
The rotor arm on my car "Beru" the distributor cap could be the same?
Oil filters for many years are Mann W917 usually via GSF and at good prices-sometimes Volvo branded if not silly rates.
Timing belts are straight forward (see forum details/other) Gates or Volvo.
Same for other belts but keep older as spares.
PCV can be removed and cleaned out without removing any major parts- inlet manifold stays in place etc.
K-Jet systems will normally be fine with very little servicing required.
The fuel pump relay is a worthwhile spare- keep the old working one.
I would live with the fuse system if in good order- keep the fuse & holders clean.
Make sure that the area is free from water leaks & dampness (normally via the windscreen leaking)
Again if you change any water hoses and condition is ok then these become the spare items. I use stainless steel hose clips- older items can weaken when rusted.
Water pumps are another easy change if needed (buy the better makes-see forum advice- not expensive) change with timing belt.

Not a great deal of spares are required,I'm sure you will add some others as you wish.

The rest is down to regular checks & maintenance/servicing/oil changes.
It is worth inspecting the bodywork for rust, the forum information is good reading for potential problem areas that need work or preventative measures.
The rest is a leaning curve but most definitely one that is manageable on these cars.

Enjoy the drive,you will love it!
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2024, 15:27   #3
Lifes too short

Thanks a lot for the advice Bob. I am looking forward to getting started.
Cheers !
Lifes too short is offline   Reply With Quote