Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Charging failure Service urgent" plus red battery light

Views : 870

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2024, 00:05   #21
Simmy
Premier Member

11 .9v is an indication of a dead cell within the battery its not worth running a volvo with a dodgy battery if it fails out on a journey you would struggle to push it even to the side of the road .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 15:14   #22
Paul Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
11 .9v is an indication of a dead cell within the battery its not worth running a volvo with a dodgy battery if it fails out on a journey you would struggle to push it even to the side of the road .
Okay, to try and answer previous posts

In summary, as I said the car stood without use for about ten days, I do not know if the battery was low before it stood but it had started with no problem previously, its been very warm so air cons been on which wouldn't help, usually I do more longish trips but with health problems we haven't been out so much, so probably had several short trips before being stood for a while

As said I had only covered about three miles in total after it stood , 1.5 miles before the charging warning came on

It had a new battery in Sep 2022, by that time I had the car five years, throughout which it had been fine starting every time, but it started to be sluggish so decided it was time for a new battery, on checking I found the battery fitted was not the spec it should have been, it had an 096 fitted, 70Ah 640A, it should have a 110

So sought out the correct spec, 110 80Ah with CCA between 700 & 800, the one I bought was an Energizer premium 740A 80Ah 4 year gaurantee

To date it had always started first touch and showed no signs of a problem

I was busy all day yesterday but put the battery on trickle charge this morning so will see what the state is after a charge

I have a quick fit up the road who can test batterys FOC so can get it tested as well

Before taking the battery out earlier it started and the alternator was kicking out 14.2+

The charging warning did not come on but warnings often take a mile or two to come on

So whether there is a parasitic drain from something I do not know or the battery is faulty, or the alternator has an intermittent fault is yet to be proven
Paul Bearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 16:54   #23
Simmy
Premier Member

good place to start is a load test your local kwik fit should be able to test .be mindful its there job to sell you something.then a quick look to see if any lights are stuck on glove box boot light. sat nav aerial amplifiers have also been known to cause drain this can be eliminated by removing the fuse to see if it has an effect on the battery drain also check the light switch position this has caught out many volvo owners report back with your findings
Old Jul 13th, 2024, 17:18   #24
Paul Bearer

[QUOTE=Paul Bearer;2958174]Okay, to try and answer previous posts

In summary, as I said the car stood without use for about ten days, I do not know if the battery was low before it stood but it had started with no problem previously, its been very warm so air cons been on which wouldn't help, usually I do more longish trips but with health problems we haven't been out so much, so probably had several short trips before being stood for a while

Charged the battery off the car yesterday for ten hours

I used the car this morning mindful of any warnings but none came up, only did about 4 miles with a couple of stops

I booked a test with kwik Fit, same day, and free, they were very busy (tourists ;-) but I only had to wait 15 minutes or so, they tested the battery no fault found, tested with engine running, again no fault showed up, tested the charging with and without load and once again no fault, all running as it should

So unless its an intermittent fault, I can't say what the case of the warning message might be

I would have thought that if it was a battery problem the warning would say as much, but it was "Charging failure Service urgent"

When and if I can get my car into the mechanics, he can check the error messages then, otherwise I will just have to keep an eye on everything

I was thinking of joining a breakdown service, this has reinformed the idea, next question is which service?
Old Jul 13th, 2024, 17:58   #25
Simmy
Premier Member

did they use a load meter? or a multi meter with a multi meter it would show no faults if you had it on charge for 15 hours its not a true test if a battery load test was not done.
Old Jul 13th, 2024, 20:19   #26
Paul Bearer

Quote:
did they use a load meter? or a multi meter with a multi meter it would show no faults if you had it on charge for 15 hours its not a true test if a battery load test was not done.
Splitting hairs perhaps but it was ten hours, yesterday, fitted back and stood overnight, then started and run about four miles with stops then stood for a few hours

They used a Bosche tester, all I can say is on the print out is :-
Charging test
Load off 14.16v pass
Load on 13.92v pass
Old Jul 13th, 2024, 21:35   #27
Simmy
Premier Member

was there any mention of the amount of amps and how quick the recovery was after multiple load tests? as its not just about indicated volts. you may need to use it and monitor before and after usage
Old Jul 13th, 2024, 22:15   #28
Paul Bearer

Quote:
was there any mention of the amount of amps and how quick the recovery was after multiple load tests? as its not just about indicated volts. you may need to use it and monitor before and after usage
Yes monitor was precisely what I was going to do

As we all know, little warnings and signs do not generally just disappear for ever, there must be a cause which may evolve and come out at a later date

The only additional information on the readout was Diode Ripple - 0.54v Pass
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Bearer For This Useful Post: