Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005 Euro3 D5244T Timing belt interval

Views : 124

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread : Borgi

Old Jun 29th, 2024, 15:23   #1
Andymharrison

Default 2005 Euro3 D5244T Timing belt interval

Getting the bits together to do a service on my 2005 XC90 and thought I had better check that I was right that the timing and aux belts were not due this year.

So I checked the service book and receipts that came with the car.

The book says 108K or 6 years for both, however many of the receipts are from dealers and have a service breakdown which says 10 years timing, 5 year aux. I am assuming this is for newer models?

Can anyone confirm I am correct in thinking that the 2005 Euro 3 D5244T engine is 6 yearly for both belts and hasn't changed to 10 & 5?

They were last done in Oct 18 at 102K by the previous owner, car has 126K now so mileage isn't an issue but on a 10 & 5 schedule I need an aux belt this year.
Old Jun 29th, 2024, 17:40   #2
GrahamBrown1
Register Keeper - S80, P2, and P3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymharrison View Post
Getting the bits together to do a service on my 2005 XC90 and thought I had better check that I was right that the timing and aux belts were not due this year.

The book says 108K or 6 years for both, however many of the receipts are from dealers and have a service breakdown which says 10 years timing, 5 year aux. I am assuming this is for newer models?

Can anyone confirm I am correct in thinking that the 2005 Euro 3 D5244T engine is 6 yearly for both belts and hasn't changed to 10 & 5?

They were last done in Oct 18 at 102K by the previous owner, car has 126K now so mileage isn't an issue but on a 10 & 5 schedule I need an aux belt this year.

Volvo changed the interval to 10 years. Aux belt was always done with the cambelt service on these.

The euro 4 and onwards 5 cylinders are on 18k service intervals. Tho I’m racking my memory here to think the euro 3 engines were on 12K intervals meaning timing belt would fall at 96,000 miles and not 108.

If done by the previous owner do you know what was done? Hopefully a cheap water pump hasn’t been fitted or a cheap belt kit. If the aux belt is still original it will want changing.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2024, 18:31   #3
Andymharrison

You're right, sorry, I was looking at the wrong page when I typed that.

There are 2 pages for Routine Service, 12K or 12 months and 18K or 12 months. XC90 is in the 12K section. That page says 72K or 6 years for the S/V40 diesel and 96K or 8 years for everything else in the 12K section.

Now I'm more confused!

I have the receipts from the previous owners, the timing & aux was done in 2013 by a main dealer, no mention of the water pump. That fits with an 8 year schedule. Then the next owner has them done again in Oct 2018, not long before selling the car. That receipt isn't from a dealer but says Genuine Volvo next to the belts and tensioners but just says Water Pump on the next line.

I'm planning to get that changed with the timing belt just in case it is an aftermarket one.

I'm confused now as to what needs changing and when though! If the service handbook is still correct it looks like both belt are on the same schedule and on 8 yearly so don't need doing until Oct 26. Maybe Clan will put us to rights?

But I'm of a mind to do them all after Christmas during our off season, in very cold weather, around 0, it takes a good while to come up to temperature so I think I am at the beginning of needing a new thermostat. As I understand it that needs the power steering pump off, which needs aux belt off and coolant draining to some degree so it makes sense to me to all belts, water pump and thermostat in one job.
Old Jun 29th, 2024, 22:50   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymharrison View Post

You should find what you need to know in the Official Volvo service sheet attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 97001357.Rev.10.12 .pdf (1.01 MB, 14 views)
Old Yesterday, 12:04   #5
Andymharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You should find what you need to know in the Official Volvo service sheet attached.
Thanks for clearing that up Clan, 10 years for both belts.

Interesting that it does clearly say renew transmission oil if used for towing. I've done it myself but people do seem to have a job persuading dealers to do that.