Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sticky vanes...?

Views : 209

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread : Constantinos

Old Jul 1st, 2024, 12:00   #1
DazN

Default Sticky vanes...?

I just joined so... Hello!

I inherited my Father in law's 2010 XC90 a couple of years ago and it's been a great car (it was his since new) and we've been everywhere in it (104K miles)

It failed the MOT this year on the handbrake efficiency so we fitted the adjustors and it finally made it through. I recently had some issues with the swirl arm and Engine Service Required message so now carrying a couple of spares just in case.

The reason for my post is I think we now have a problem with the turbo and after reading many posts on here, possibly the sticky vanes issue. It first happened on an overtake whilst on holiday. I dropped it down to third and floored it and suddenly it stuttered and it felt like fuel starvation. It was fine for the rest of the holiday and has been ok apart from the occasional stutter until recently when it started to become a bit more regular. When it happens, the car still drives but it is just like the turbo has been switched off and it obviously has massively reduced power. No warning lights on the dashboard. This weekend it did it again and, whilst waiting at a level crossing I turned it off and then started it again and the turbo was back to normal operation.

Does this sound like sticky vanes or something else? I am getting the codes read this week and see if we can narrow it down a little.

I came close to trading the old girl in for something new last week but I couldn't quite bring myself to do it. The new car I drove wasn't half the quality of the XC90 and it was going to sort me back £20K. The XC90 owes me nothing so I thought she deserved another shot (I also have no power steering at low speeds now so this is another issue that needs investigating!)

Unless of course, you all convince me I should have traded the old beast in for something newer and more plasticky?
DazN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 12:28   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

First thing is it is imperative to get any fault codes read with a DECENT, preferably Volvo code reader. Then just get the car fixed as it sounds like a car very much worth keeping.

If you have any future issues with the handbrake efficiency, make sure you have Volvo original shoes fitted.

I do wonder what the depreciation on the considered £20,000 replacement car would be ? I suggest that the first years figure would likely easily pay for any repair you might need to your present car ? If you are fortunate enough to have £20,000 spare, leave it in the bank and have some interest. If not, save on the financing costs on £20,000 ?
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 12:41   #3
DazN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
First thing is it is imperative to get any fault codes read with a DECENT, preferably Volvo code reader. Then just get the car fixed as it sounds like a car very much worth keeping.

If you have any future issues with the handbrake efficiency, make sure you have Volvo original shoes fitted.

I do wonder what the depreciation on the considered £20,000 replacement car would be ? I suggest that the first years figure would likely easily pay for any repair you might need to your present car ? If you are fortunate enough to have £20,000 spare, leave it in the bank and have some interest. If not, save on the financing costs on £20,000 ?
This was pretty much the thing that made me stop and think. Let's say I pay £20K for a car and by the time it's paid for it's worth £12K... Plus after the test drive I got back in the Volvo and it made me realise how much I like the car despite it's current woes!
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 15:15   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

diagnostic check should show what's happening check to see if your car has the vacuum engine mounts if it has and they are not holding vacuum this can cause limp mode it was quite common on the earlier cars try to get the codes read. also have a look at intercooler and hoses for any leaks its common for old intercoolers to split or bow.

Last edited by Simmy; Jul 1st, 2024 at 15:26.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 15:50   #5
DazN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
diagnostic check should show what's happening check to see if your car has the vacuum engine mounts if it has and they are not holding vacuum this can cause limp mode it was quite common on the earlier cars try to get the codes read. also have a look at intercooler and hoses for any leaks its common for old intercoolers to split or bow.
Is 'limp mode' an actual thing ... ie will it show up as a code/event? Obviously there is no feedback from the dash (no lights)
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 17:50   #6
GrahamBrown1
Register Keeper - S80, P2, and P3

Sticky vanes did sometimes effect the older euro 3 engines which turbos are vac controlled. Yours on the newer euro 4 engine is electronically controlled. I’ve not seen any of these with stuck vanes but have seen faults with the electronic actuator. But you obviously need have it professionally diagnosed as others have mentioned.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 19:13   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

yes limp mode is an actual thing its an inbuilt thing to stop you damaging the engine and to make you seek mechanical repair. ask if any one near you has vida and will read your codes to find your fault. vida can read all modules and read live data to test components. how long since the fuel filter was changed a dirty filter would also give the symptoms described

Last edited by Simmy; Jul 1st, 2024 at 19:24.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 23:04   #8
DazN

Ok so someone at my son's cricket team is a mechanic and brought his diagnostic kit along tonight and read the codes for me...

He said there were multiple instances of ECM-1540 which I believe is Turbo pressure too high?
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 23:05   #9
DazN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
yes limp mode is an actual thing its an inbuilt thing to stop you damaging the engine and to make you seek mechanical repair. ask if any one near you has vida and will read your codes to find your fault. vida can read all modules and read live data to test components. how long since the fuel filter was changed a dirty filter would also give the symptoms described
Hmmm I did suspect fuel when it first happened, but it definitely feels boost related now that it's happened a few times.
Old Yesterday, 13:53   #10
Mike A

I would certainly change fuel filter for a start as this can give the same symptoms
Mike A is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike A For This Useful Post: