Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 977885

Replies : 6714

Users Viewing This Thread : Steve 940

Old Yesterday, 12:19   #6711
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Surely breathers have nothing to do with oil pressure...? Crankcase pressure, yes, of course, but not oil pressure!

cheers

James
That's probably why they weren't attended to when the carbs were rebuilt and why they're now giving a problem.

On the Rover V8 (aka POB215/Buick Special) engine, they certainly do have an effect on oil pressure, not forgetting performance and fuel economy too.
I've had several Rover V8s in my time and all had blocked breathers when i first got them.

Don't forget though, if the crankcase pressure goes up, the pressure into the oil pump will go up and therefore the pressure out of the pump as well. Perfectly logical when you think of it that way.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 17:29   #6712
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I wouldn't dispute the virtues of a crankcase ventilation service for a moment - just the link to oil pressure! I'd have thought you'd have to have horrendous blow-by to raise the crankcase pressure enough to affect the oil pressure when the engine is un-loaded, such that crankcase ventilation will be the least of your worries! Maybe, maybe wide-open at high RPM, but I'm really struggling to see it happening close to idle.

I don't know what the oil pressure specs for an RV8 ought to be, but the Redblock I have an oil pressure gauge on never drops below 3 Bar (~45psi), even at idle when roasting hot. Could this not just be a particularly healthy one?

Anyway...it may well need a crankcase ventilation service, it just struck me as a bit damning to condemn it as lashed up based on an oil pressure reading!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 18:02   #6713
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I wouldn't dispute the virtues of a crankcase ventilation service for a moment - just the link to oil pressure! I'd have thought you'd have to have horrendous blow-by to raise the crankcase pressure enough to affect the oil pressure when the engine is un-loaded, such that crankcase ventilation will be the least of your worries! Maybe, maybe wide-open at high RPM, but I'm really struggling to see it happening close to idle.

I don't know what the oil pressure specs for an RV8 ought to be, but the Redblock I have an oil pressure gauge on never drops below 3 Bar (~45psi), even at idle when roasting hot. Could this not just be a particularly healthy one?

Anyway...it may well need a crankcase ventilation service, it just struck me as a bit damning to condemn it as lashed up based on an oil pressure reading!

cheers

James
A particularly healthy V8 will NOT show in excess of 45 psi at idle as this one appears to show. It is well known in Rover circles that the oil pressure should only be 35psi hot at 2000rpm or above or it will blow oil seals.

The Rover V8 engine uses what is essentially a "sealed" PCV system except for the Y shaped feed from the rocker cover to the carbs. Usually they block up on the carb stubs and that is when crankcase pressure builds, no need for blow-by to create it!

The redblock is a completely different animal and yours appears to be normal for a redblock. Horses for courses as it were.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 18:25   #6714
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I can well imagine that oil pressures in that range could cause leaks - sealing technology has come on a long way! I suspect I have fun ahead getting my B30 to remain oil-tight! In the interests of cordiality I'm going to bow to your greater familiarity with these engines when it comes to the cause, but I do remain a little sceptical!

Out of interest, do the oil pumps have a pressure relief / over-pressure valve?

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 19:54   #6715
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I can well imagine that oil pressures in that range could cause leaks - sealing technology has come on a long way! I suspect I have fun ahead getting my B30 to remain oil-tight! In the interests of cordiality I'm going to bow to your greater familiarity with these engines when it comes to the cause, but I do remain a little sceptical!

Out of interest, do the oil pumps have a pressure relief / over-pressure valve?

cheers

James
I understand your scepticism, i was also sceptical when i was first told this ~35 years ago. It is right though.

There is an oil pressure relief valve, yes. From memory it's set to open at 65psi but i may be wrong on that. Also many of the later, larger engine models (3.9 upwards) if they overheated they could cause the oil pressure relief valve spring to go weak, causing it to open much too early like ~6psi which isn't enough to protect the engine - you can guess the end result!

Also many moons ago i ran a series of Mk2 Cavaliers, all 1600 and they shared a problem with the oil pressure relief valve spring going weak. This showed as the oil pressure light flickering at idle even when cold and barely 2bar of pressure hot and running (2000rpm or higher) according to factory fitted gauges.
The spring was ~£3 at the time, took about 5 minutes to fit and cured it instantly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: