Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

canis is in the market for an XC90

Views : 3640

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2024, 05:27   #1
canis
Non Fragile

Default canis is in the market for an XC90

Hello everybody. I'm back. Back on the forum. For those who don't know me, I made my infamy on the V40 classic thread. Well, I've had a brief spell with a Ford Focus and I have to say, I don't like it much. But I've been given the proverbial green light by my wife to buy an XC90.

Yessss!!!!! Finally, I can build my ultimate family-support-mothership vehicle. It must be automatic, because I'm extremely lazy. It can't be underpowered, the Ford taught me that, it's embarrassing on a motorway. It must have a towbar, mainly for the CANBUS affair. It must not have cream interior, I personally can't stand it and seriously wonder just ... why? Nevermind, anyway, I'd rather it not be grey. You can call it silver if you like, but really it's grey. Metallic, but grey. It's not necessarilly a deal-breaker, but again... why? I'm very attracted by chrome bits.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235574101329

So we went to see this one. Looks pretty good from the pictures. It's the right colour. Black interior with fake woody bits. Cool! But appearances can be deceptive. That bright shiny showroom in the background - does not exist!

We arrived at a compound reasonably presented, as acres of rubble go. Before we even had crossed the rubble, the salesman was attempting to sell us warranty.

You know that expression, "if ya squint it's mint". I mean, I wasn't exactly expecting it to be in pristine condition, but this was broken everywhere. Minor things, but everywhere. He was reluctant to hand over the key, which was broken and entirely shagged out, and mentioned the warranty. The seats were all in disarray, my main things was seeing them all operate. The base cusion of the middle chair wouldn't stay down, looked like it needed some springs pushing back in. The rear seats were a jumble. I tried to access the boot for a better look, but the tailgate couldn't be opened. Maybe there's a trick to this, I don't know. But that's hardly suprising since I've never even touched an XC90 before. The salesman said he could knock two hundred quid off. This round figure came way too early in the negotiation to be anything other than his standard patter. He also mentioned the warranty again. My wife noticed the window switches were all damaged. We were beginning to talk more openly. "It's such a shame, it's the right colour." amongst other things. I opened the bonnet, which he seemed to want to do for me. It woudln't stay up on it's hydralic rams. Fine, I'll fix that, but there wasn't much to see. Just acres of black plastic.

He said he could knock fifty quid off for the tailgate because it's "probably just a sensor or something like that." I was thinking more like two hundred. Once again he insisted that anything wrong would be fixed under warranty. All I could see was wrongness everywhere. I mean, there's nothing here I couldn't fix, but not at this price. He again insisted it would be an easy quick fix. I asked why he didn't do it then, "I ain't got time mate!" he snapped.

That was the final straw. I hated his attitude. He asked what I'd be willing to pay as we started to walk away. I said I'd seen one in Altrigcham for £1300. He said he couldn't go that low. I agreed we wouldn't be able to reach a deal.

I would've been willing at something begining with 14. But I'm not buying this car for this money, and certainly not from him anyway.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186458470570

So we drove down to see this. I hate the colour, but I can add stripes or something. It's quite a long drive from there so we got burgers on the way. We love to eat in the car, we love being out and about in it, so it's important we get something we like. Our car-picnics are legendary. Out V40 was one of the family, we ate in it, we slept in it, we've been all over the country in it, and even around France. When hurricane Katrina hit us while we were camping, the V40 sheltered us. It was a long and cramped night, six of us in it. I want that family vehicle again.

We got out the car, and were told they usually only show by appointment, but since we were here we might as well look around. The chap was very pleasant, looked professional if appearances are your thing. A veteran thug sat on a car bonnet shouted across "It's sold." The chap asked whether any money had actually been paid, but the response from the veteran-thug was the same. So we just left.

So...

I'm in the market for an XC90. Preferably black, must be auto, no cream, I've got about £2000, and I just remembered I need 4WD too because I sometimes tow on agricultural land.

Am I being unrealistic?

~canis

Last edited by canis; May 28th, 2024 at 05:41.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2024, 09:53   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Hi, 'canis', long time no see!

Have you clocked the '04 one currently for sale on here? It's up for a grand in Ashby de la Zouch (N. Leics.). Seems a decent motor - may be worth a look-see?

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; May 28th, 2024 at 09:58. Reason: Punctuation.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2024, 11:27   #3
Carlosos

No not unrealistic but you are going to need to be patient. Loads and loads of bad ones around and you just don’t need to entertain them. You can be picky so don’t be afraid to walk away from a leaky engine bay it’s just not worth it. I was about the same budget as you and although not mint after viewing plenty I was happy.

You might have to get over colours if you want decent condition as dealers have a habit of getting hold of clean ones and putting them up at 10k.

Be picky with condition and don’t rush.
Carlosos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlosos For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2024, 14:17   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

be aware that an xc can eat all your cash they are becoming a get rid of car because of emission zones and high ved there will be some well looked after ones out there view plenty and check everything . im sure some owners will explain what to look for.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2024, 17:14   #5
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Hi, 'canis', long time no see!

Have you clocked the '04 one currently for sale on here? It's up for a grand in Ashby de la Zouch (N. Leics.). Seems a decent motor - may be worth a look-see?

Regards, John.
I thought I'd looked there. Must have got sidetracked. I've replied to the thread, thanks for pointing that out. Good to see you, John. Hope things are well.
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2024, 18:13   #6
GrahamBrown1
Register Keeper - S80, P2, and P3

All I would say is have some money in reserve, check the 4wd and check the hand brake. The handbrake never works on them, ever! Everyone I have ever viewed has never worked yet supposedly well looked after…. So I use that test as a guide to how well it actually has been loved. Check the heater works cold and hot, that caught us out when we bought ours. It was cool as out but come winter the matrix is blocked. Mildly warm at best. There a big bus, tyres suspension all more expensive than a normal car. Also check corrosion on the rear end. It’s thick stuff but you don’t want any mention of corrosion around structural points etc there only getting older and it’s all steel unlike the P2 cars with ally components.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2024, 20:57   #7
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
check the hand brake. The handbrake never works on them, ever! Everyone I have ever viewed has never worked yet supposedly well looked after…. So I use that test as a guide to how well it actually has been loved.
I've no idea how these even work! What would be the test? What's the procedure? I know you press the pedal to apply, but to release is a pull handle, is that electric? If so, does it know it's handbrake is applied? If so, will it refuse to engage drive because of interlocks? If so, how do I test it?

Erm, I have questions lol
Old May 28th, 2024, 21:10   #8
GrahamBrown1
Register Keeper - S80, P2, and P3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
I've no idea how these even work! What would be the test? What's the procedure? I know you press the pedal to apply, but to release is a pull handle, is that electric? If so, does it know it's handbrake is applied? If so, will it refuse to engage drive because of interlocks? If so, how do I test it?

Erm, I have questions lol
The car should hold on no more than 5 clicks of the pedal and not rock hard to press. It is all cable operated no electrics. A small pedal cable and larger main cables. Cable adjustment is awkward to say the least. They only work with genuine shoes and bedding in. The shoes are inside the rear disks like the other P2 cars and suffer the same delaminating of the shoe materiel. My argument has always been they worked when they were new so why not now. Usually this is down to garages not knowing how to sort them out and aftermarket bits. There is no need for any extra adjusters that people like to fit. Didn’t have them when it was new either. As longs the cables and expanders are free, genuine shoes and a good adjustment and they do work. I have spent many hrs sorting one out and got it in the end. Why a pedal and not a leaver like the other P2 cars I don’t know haha.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; May 28th, 2024 at 21:13.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2024, 21:12   #9
Simmy
Premier Member

cable operated works same as any other cable operated volvo brake its just applied by foot pedal.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2024, 10:05   #10
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Hello everybody. I'm back. Back on the forum.
... But I've been given the proverbial green light by my wife to buy an XC90.
~canis
Where DO we start...

Tug boat sound. The 2.4 uses hydraulic lifters, listen to it from a cold start. There should be no rattling and after just a few seconds it should sound 'sweet'. If you hear a chuffing sound - run! Lift the bonnet & put your hand in the air intake that sits atop the rad. If you can feel a pulsing with the sound then its an indication that lifters have failed. This often needs a head rebuild AND camshafts. Onve expensive sound I can tell you: move on.
- Gearbox. The one fitted to the 2006 model is sh1te. Its the least reliable in an XC90 and over £3.5k to replace. Ask me how I know! Just stay away.
- AWD issues (Haldex & DEM) are easily sorted.
- Exhaust. My back box recently failed. It was £350 plus for a rear box so instead I had a complete stainless system fitted for £400
- Parts are less easy come by now for the Ph2 IMHO. This means prices have crept up.
- CEM can be an issue with poor waterproofing causing them to corrode and giving odd symptoms. Get it sorted via Volvo Diagnostics in Tilbury (same as DEM rebuild).
- Gearbox wont shift into 6th unless you doing 50+ no matter the load. This impacts consumption.
- Consumption not good, ever, but better on younger than 2010 apparently. I find running tyres at 40psi is best compromise.

I'll never part with mine and I've told my family it can carry my coffin! To me its far more environmentally friendly to keep and old vehicle on the road than keep buy (sh1te) new.

Overall, just enjoy it [/LIST]

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YorkshireDave For This Useful Post: