Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate Wiring Solution - Once & For All?

Views : 3452

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Good Idea?
Yes, I would want this. 5 71.43%
No, I would not want this. 0 0%
Not for me, but I imagine some would like it. 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 05:10   #1
TheHungriestBadger

Lightbulb Tailgate Wiring Solution - Once & For All?

Hi all,

So, bear with me here, it's gone 4am as I write this. Everyone is sick of the tailgate wiring issues, right? I was looking through the paperwork for my '90 245, and it's already been through three of them since 2000, and now it's looking for a fourth (not quite 100% rear wiper operation, no central locking on the tailgate... Probably borrowed time before the MOT-able things start to go as well).

How about I design essentially a 'megaRelay' that slips inside the tailgate (there's got to be room, surely? There's already a wiper motor in there after all), and all it requires is a single low-resistance switched positive, and maybe one or two other tiny wires for sending a data signal - I'm confident I could handle that wirelessly, but I don't necessarily trust the cyber-security of wireless over a wired equivalent.

This whole system would consist of two small circuit boards (which could probably be packaged down the line as relays with a ton o' pins if desired):

- One would probably end up under a kick-panel somewhere, near all the existing relays, and would have all the existing connections 'terminating into it'. This would turn the existing power connections into simple signals (i.e. the current-carrying rear demister would now be a binary on/off signal).
- The other would be in the tailgate and would route the proposed single switched live, as appropriate, to the relevant accessories. This would be achieved based on the aforementioned data wire(s).

Essentially, this would keep all the existing functionality, it would just condense the 8 or so wires that are currently mounted in the hinges, into only a couple of wires. Given these would have to be added in anyway, they could then be brought inside the car, and any section exposed to flexing be made pluggable at both ends allowing for massively increased serviceability if it were to go wrong.

I think I'll leave the conceptual rambling there for now, please let me know your thoughts and also please play Devil's Advocate for things I'm likely to overlook. Obviously, the first victim of such an experiment would be my own vehicle.

P.S: A rough block diagram is attached and linked, wiring colours should be fairly accurate, but this is only for demo purposes.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XdQ...usp=share_link
Attached Images
File Type: png Volvo 240 Tailgate Relay.png (41.1 KB, 18 views)

My electronics website/blog thing: https://unintegratedcircuit.wixsite....egratedcircuit
TheHungriestBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheHungriestBadger For This Useful Post:

Tags
240 electrical, harness, tailgate