Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Getting to '97 940 wingmirror motor

Views : 445

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 20:59   #1
rhagg

Default Getting to '97 940 wingmirror motor

Hi all, first post here and happy to be with you - looking forward to learning lots and getting stuck in

I recently bought a 1997 940 estate with ~200k on the clock. It's been pretty well looked after, I've got a decent list of small fixes and cleans etc but overall it runs well and nothing major seems to be popping up so far!

I am having some trouble with the electronic adjustment of the passenger side mirror. The driver side moves well but the passenger side will only go up/down and not left/right. I can hear the motor trying to move when I try to move it L/R and occasionally it will make a small jump. I don't want to hold the control for too long incase I burn out the motor.

I feel that the internal mechanism is either dirty or damaged and I want to get into the mirror body to look.
The manual says that for my model I should be able to reach around the inside edge of the mirror and just pull the mirror out - I've given this a try but I'm having to apply quite a lot of force behind the mirror and I really don't want to stress it and break it!

Has anyone had any luck getting into the motor and mechanisms? Is it just a brute-force job or am I missing something? I've read some more forum posts about this but they weren't super enlightening and I couldn't find any further videos or info about the process!

Any help greatly appreciated - don't want to rush into this job and break the mirror so happily awaiting responses! Thanks!
rhagg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rhagg For This Useful Post: