Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Constant alignment problem, Help.

Views : 656

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 20th, 2012, 13:57   #1
cogs

Default Constant alignment problem, Help.

I wonder if anyone has an opinion about a problem I have had for sometime.

I have a phase 2, 51 V40 1.9D sport. I guess the sport bit only applies to the trim as according to the VIN number plate it is fitted with comfort suspension.
I have the wheel alignment and camber etc. all checked and set up and the car will be fine for a few days and then it will go out of track and start pulling either left or right. I have the alignment done again and all is fine for a few more days and then it goes out again and so on.

The track-rod ends have been replaced, the suspension checked over by myself and a good garage, they say all is fine. All bolts are tight and all rubber bushes and link bars are OK. Shocks and springs all good. All this has been check front and back of car and there are no signs of accident damage anywhere.

The only thing I have my doubts about are:
In the Haynes manual it states On 2000-on sport or dynamic models the reference hole on the upper spring seat should be turned clockwise 20 degrees in relation to the lower hole.
So does this apply only to sport and dynamic suspension after 2000 only or to all 2000 onwards set ups including the standard and comfort. Mine is set at the 20 degrees setting.
The local Volvo dealer told me it didn't matter as that was the caster setting and would not give me the problem I have. They of course offered to look at it but I can't afford their prices.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing the problem ?
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 13:52   #2
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs View Post
I wonder if anyone has an opinion about a problem I have had for sometime.

I have a phase 2, 51 V40 1.9D sport. I guess the sport bit only applies to the trim as according to the VIN number plate it is fitted with comfort suspension.
I have the wheel alignment and camber etc. all checked and set up and the car will be fine for a few days and then it will go out of track and start pulling either left or right. I have the alignment done again and all is fine for a few more days and then it goes out again and so on.

The track-rod ends have been replaced, the suspension checked over by myself and a good garage, they say all is fine. All bolts are tight and all rubber bushes and link bars are OK. Shocks and springs all good. All this has been check front and back of car and there are no signs of accident damage anywhere.

The only thing I have my doubts about are:
In the Haynes manual it states On 2000-on sport or dynamic models the reference hole on the upper spring seat should be turned clockwise 20 degrees in relation to the lower hole.
So does this apply only to sport and dynamic suspension after 2000 only or to all 2000 onwards set ups including the standard and comfort. Mine is set at the 20 degrees setting.
The local Volvo dealer told me it didn't matter as that was the caster setting and would not give me the problem I have. They of course offered to look at it but I can't afford their prices.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing the problem ?
I had a similar issue happening for years and went through the same kind of maintenance items over time hoping that THIS time, the pull to the left would finally be eliminated but no dice (I've had my '03 V40 since 2004). The really interesting bit is that recently I caved and went into the dealership for what I thought was an unrelated issue that's also been driving me nuts: a noise coming from front wheels when a max turn radius is made, a sort of a clunk that to me was associated with the shocks.

Interestingly after a full once-over of the entire front end, the mechanic found out that my spring seats were broken. I thanked them and promptly turned down the $800CAD repair. However, whatever he did in his troubleshooting activities fixed the pull issue!!!! I have no idea what a caster setting is but I'm wondering if this might have been tweeked as part of the troubleshooting just to get access to something...
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 15:54   #3
stephend
Premier Member

That's interesting!

Caster setting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_angle

It certainly doesn't surprise me that a broken part would keep throwing the settings off.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote