Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another Water Leak

Views : 2101

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2015, 09:09   #1
ChrisHollis

Unhappy Another Water Leak

Hello, I wonder if you could help me please?
I have a 2004 v50 and I get a lot of water in the drivers footwell. (4-5 litres over a month period). Yes we have had a lot of rain as well (I live in Wales).

I don't have a sunroof.
I have checked the A/C drain and it is clear (I havent used the A/c since).
I have poured water down the windscreen, and it pours out at the back of the front wheelarches.

Door seals could be another cause. Are the door seals the rubber on the body, around the door aperture, or on the door?

Does anybody have any other suggestions.

Thanks in anticipation.
ChrisHollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 09:20   #2
ASt85
Premier Member

It might be worth checking that the scuttle below the grill and not just around the drain is completely clear - I had a similar problem with an 850 some years ago if I left it pointing downhill a steep hill in the rain - the drain didn't cope in heavy rain and water would find its way in. Parking uphill wasn't a problem.

Other thought - does the V50 have rubber bungs in the driver's side floor pan? Its possible one has become dislodged. It might also be worth checking behind the wing=liner to see if something has come adrift.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 11:05   #3
iainmd

Although you say you don't suspect the windscreen, have you ever had your windscreen replaced?

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 11:20   #4
ChrisHollis

Thanks As185 & iainmd for your quick replies.

I only purchased the car at the end of May '15 so I am not sure about its history. All I can say is the windscreen has all the Volvo & SRS stickers on it.

I will check the scuttle, and the same as you its parked facing down hill on my drive. I dont know about the bungs I will have a look at that as well.

Fo you know anything about the door seals and the likely hood that they may leak?

Once again thanks for the replies. A couple of thing to check there.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 14:07   #5
ASt85
Premier Member

The door seals usually only wear or perish where the driver gets in and out and clothing, belts etc repeatedly over compress the seal, then the repeated damage wears it through - as its the B pillar seal that gets the damage I wouldn't have thought it likely to leak ...unless there a very heavy rain in a following wind.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 11:07   #6
ChrisHollis

Sorry for not replying sooner, i lost my internet.
I removed the skuttle panel and gave everything a good clean. Lots of muck & leaves. When it was clean i could see the drain wasnt correctly connected the aperture in yhe panel. Reconnected.
Dried out carpets as much as possible, no we wait and see.
Thanks for you help both of you.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisHollis For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 13:00   #7
ASt85
Premier Member

Hopefully all will now be well and thanks for posting the update.

Tags
doorseals, leak, seals, v50, water