Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VNT turbo actuator adjustment - Please help

Views : 1325

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2016, 18:32   #1
rcruz

Default VNT turbo actuator adjustment - Please help

I need to adjust my VNT turbo actuator arm, but I have no refence values to guide me.
Can anyone post the reference (expected) values for a 2003 V40 1.9 TD (115Hp) - engine D4192T3?
I need the expected boost pressure for RPM 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 and 3500.
It would be great to get this reference values with and without load.

Thank you guys!
rcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2016, 09:25   #2
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

These things are set up on a specially calibrated rig.

I don't think you can set them by rule of thumb on the car.

That said, I believe there is a maximum boost pressure (but there is no dump valve?)

However the ECU limits the boost in 1st and 2nd and in neutral not much seems to happen at all.

The infinitely variable nature of the turbo is going to make fine tuning a bit of a nightmare.
Old Sep 27th, 2016, 10:40   #3
960kg
Premier Member

I have never owned one of these diesels but Volvo give this chart for setting the boost...

I am sure you will understand it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boost Figures 1.9D.jpg (96.2 KB, 34 views)

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2016, 12:19   #4
rcruz

Thank you guys.
I do understand the values 960kg, but I already have those. Got them from VIDA. But these values and instructions are for use with the volvo special tool for adjusting the actuator (which I don't have).
I also understand that this is not the right way to calibrate the actuator bobthecabbage, but right now it would be a great help just to get some Bosst/RPM reference values from a similar vehicle.
That way I could tune the actuator and then read the values to make sure they are not under or over the reference ones.
Anyone, please?
rcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2016, 13:34   #5
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

I guess the pertinent question would be, why does it need adjusting?

I found this video and looking at it it seems that really you just need to buy a vacuum pump and set it up that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A476plY-sjo

Measuring the boost at different rpms is going to be fairly arbitrary. I don't think it will help you set it up.

The car measures boost via the MAP sensor so it works in a feedback loop (continuously variable). All you need to get the right boost is that the actuator moves to its full extent at the specified vacuum. Then the car controls the boost according to the map in the ECU (which will probably adjust itself within limits).

I realise you probably know all this but it seems there is one way to check/set the actuator and to be honest its fairly simple (not withstanding ease of access etc!).

Tags
turbo, vnt