Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing transmission fluid - is this correct? 97k

Views : 421

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2017, 10:46   #1
arcticsequoia

Question Changing transmission fluid - is this correct? 97k

Hey guys,

I've just purchased a 2003 S40 with 97k miles on it.
As such I'm now going through all things maintenance as I'd like to keep it for at least 100k+ more.

Something I thought of straight away, is ATF, as I think it may never have been replaced, and new transmissions are seldom cheap.

Today I've had a look at the dipstick, and luckily the liquid doesn't seem too dark.

Two questions:
  • I checked with the engine having been off all night. Doesn't the dipstick indicate there's too much ATF? Look at the above pic.

From my understanding, it should be fairly straightforward to replace the ATF. As I understand the 2003 S40 does not have a removable filter pan, but rather a simple drain bolt.

Am I correct in thinking that all there is to this for a change is:
  1. Lift up car
  2. Carefully remove drain bolt with 24mm wrench
  3. Drain fluid carefully into pan, with some alluminum foil/funnel ready if it starts going all over the place
  4. Re-tighten drain bolt, measure how much has been removed
  5. Refill same amount with a funnel from the dip stick. Turn on car and shift gears stationary and wait a few seconds each time.
  6. Repeat the above several times/drive around the block until the fluid color gets to a decent color.

Now I've never been much of a car guy beyond shifting head lights and wipers, though I have a bunch of tools laying around and have put together computers from scratch for years.
From what I've been seeing online and from videos etc, this looks to be a fairly simple procedure.

Is the above procedure correct? Just wondering if I can do this myself, as the local shop quoted me $730/£560 for a change, which I am not very keen on paying..

All feedback is much appreciated!
arcticsequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 12:46   #2
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Above is correct. When checking level I would not rely on the measurement when cold. Instead drive for 10min to get it to "operating temp - VIDA specifies a temp range" and then check vs the "hot" on the dipstick. Dump and refill to same level should be fine but make sure you double check with dipstick to be safe. Also don't bother shifting through the gears as you need to take it for a ride to get it to proper temp.

The tin foil comment is a good one as the sump plug is located just above the cross member so the fluid does tend to run all over the place (which in turn makes it difficult to measure the exact amount that has come out). I ended up cutting a plastic cup in half lengthwise to direct the fluid into a container. It's a bit messy so don't go thinking that you will be able to direct into a container with a small orifice. Instead have an oil drain pan available.

Be sure to use a verified compatible fluid that meets the JWS3309 spec.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post: