Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

restoring black plastic?

Views : 796

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2021, 10:00   #1
glynh

Default restoring black plastic?

Hi all, i have a black plastic boot lip protector on the v60, circa 7 years old which is now a light grey.

so is there any simple way to tidy it up? i could by a new one but removing the old one will probably damage the bumper and dont want to spend £60, just to tiidy it up.
Old May 31st, 2021, 11:42   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynh View Post
Hi all, i have a black plastic boot lip protector on the v60, circa 7 years old which is now a light grey.

so is there any simple way to tidy it up? i could by a new one but removing the old one will probably damage the bumper and dont want to spend £60, just to tiidy it up.
There are a number of proprietory products on the market, most use the name "Back to Black" or variations thereof (Back to Black is a specific product) and there are a number of "cheat" products including (but not limited to) WD40 and peanut butter.

Plastics are a petrochemical product and the reason they fade is they have dried out and lost the oil component of their mix. This can also make them brittle. I've tried a few of the proprietory products, all do the job but some fade quicker than others. I've not tried peanut butter but i did try WD40 on my lawnmower grassbox which had faded to near white from dark charcoal/black originally. It brought it up to almost black again and has lasted reasonably well, however i suspect with some experimentation i might find a longer lasting solution.

I'm sure there was a thread on it a couple of years back and the various products that could be used to restore plastic trim - the Back to Black style products can be used on any colour trim as they replace lost oils. Basically a case of either experimentation or finding a product in a shop and some elbow grease to apply it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2021, 15:54   #3
Deck1ng
Master Member

Another way I’ve seen is a hot air gun (paint stripper). Throughly wash and dry the plastic area. then with the heat gun, making small circles and keeping the heat moving, it restored a bull grey to a matt black finish.
I personally have not tried this but it works on the video.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deck1ng For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 15:58   #4
Adrian B

I am sure the above method works well. Another option is K2 BONO BACK TO BLACK. On eBay 500ml £7.98. the one that does rubber as well. Worth a go. It is better than back to black type silicone sprays There's enough for many years and keep using it to build it up after each washing of the car.

Last edited by Adrian B; May 31st, 2021 at 16:01.
Adrian B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adrian B For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2021, 23:04   #5
Bungle1976

The second hand car dealer that shared the fuel forecourt I worked at as a student used to use something called "Plastic Dressing" by the gallon can, though I suspect it was just a silicon oil based product.
Bungle1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bungle1976 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 07:47   #6
glynh

thanks all, will take a look at suggestions (apart from the heat gun, dont fancy melting the bumper in errror!)
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 21:43   #7
Mick787

May I suggest Autoglym's bumper care.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 22:47   #8
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle1976 View Post
The second hand car dealer that shared the fuel forecourt I worked at as a student used to use something called "Plastic Dressing" by the gallon can, though I suspect it was just a silicon oil based product.
Yes, silicone oil. A temporary solution. Thermoplastics used on almost all cars cars are not UV stable, OEMs use different levels of stabilisers, the more they use the more it costs ! The surface colour cannot be restored without sanding. Some can be painted successfully ( like PC/ ABS), but not PP.
GrahamHR is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamHR For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 02:43   #9
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle1976 View Post
I used to use that all the time when i used to do valeting, it was a very temp solution and normally only lasted long enough to sell the vehicle, a dressing is all it is, that and engine compartment shine, that stuff is even worse lol
Another fix is tyre dressing, put that on sparingly with a cloth or sponge...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 09:14   #10
Bungle1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
Yes, silicone oil. A temporary solution.
Well, I imagine being a secondhand car dealer he didn't really care once it was off the forecourt!
Bungle1976 is offline   Reply With Quote