Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering Column Lock issue late 2009 Volvo S40 2L diesel

Views : 755

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2022, 17:50   #1
aquacultureman

Default Steering Column Lock issue late 2009 Volvo S40 2L diesel

Right so more problems with my car.

Went to start my car and it wouldnt, followed by a message saying:

'Turn steering, try start again'

This I believe is a SCL (Steering Column Lock) issue. Some people suggest re-lubricating the pin on the SCL to release it. Others hit it with a rubber mallet to release the pin from locked to unlocked. Has anyone experienced this problem, and applied either of the fixes given above with success?

This issue has happened before on hot days only. Some say a hot day causes the SCL pin lubrication to coagulate and jam the pin. What do I know.

I am told a replacement SCL requires coding by Volvo btw.

Advice/input is appreciated.
aquacultureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 18:15   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquacultureman View Post

Went to start my car and it wouldnt, followed by a message saying:

'Turn steering, try start again'

This I believe is a SCL (Steering Column Lock) issue. Some people suggest re-lubricating the pin on the SCL to release it. Others hit it with a rubber mallet to release the pin from locked to unlocked. Has anyone experienced this problem, and applied either of the fixes given above with success?

This issue has happened before on hot days only. Some say a hot day causes the SCL pin lubrication to coagulate and jam the pin. What do I know.

I am told a replacement SCL requires coding by Volvo btw.

A car is like a woman , It has been gently telling you for a while that it is in trouble and you have ignored it . It wont give you any more chances it will strand you in the most inconvenient place very soon ...

All it needs is a new Electric steering lock .... yes it needs software to code it to the car . 👍
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 18:41   #3
aquacultureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
A car is like a woman , It has been gently telling you for a while that it is in trouble and you have ignored it . It wont give you any more chances it will strand you in the most inconvenient place very soon ...

All it needs is a new Electric steering lock .... yes it needs software to code it to the car . 👍
Lol. A very abrupt women more like! Thanks for the answer. Would you know the part number before I go to Volvo again? I would assume if I get it outside of Volvo, I could get them to code it separately.
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 21:45   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Lol. A very abrupt women more like! Thanks for the answer. Would you know the part number before I go to Volvo again? I would assume if I get it outside of Volvo, I could get them to code it separately.
Not off hand but the parts dept will easily be able to look it up. Of course they will do just the software but how will you drive it there? I always found it easier to take the column out to do the job on the bench , only 4 bolts and the steering joint . you will need a shear off bolt too .
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 22:51   #5
pinballdave

The steering column lock is coded to the car, and is part of the verification sequence for the immobiliser system, so you will not be able to start the car if the steering lock has not released and then sent the correct response back to the CEM to confirmed it has released.

It might be worth re-lubricating the lock, but I wouldn't rely on the 'hammer' method.

Be aware that Volvo dealers are unlikely to be able to re-code a second hand part from a breakers yard, it has to be a new unit. So if you go the dealer route, then you might as well let them do the whole job.

If it is a mechanical fault with the steering lock, then you can replace the mechanical part of the lock with a good second hand unit, but you will need to swap the control circuit board from your original lock to the replacement unit (as the coding is stored on the circuit board).

If it is an electronic fault with the steering lock control board, then it may be (theoretically!) possible to repair the board, or (if the codes are readable) to clone it onto a working board, but to be honest it'll be a lot simpler to take it to a Volvo dealer for a new lock and coding.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 11:26   #6
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Literally just today I came across this contraption (that never even would thought it existed ) and bookmarked it "just in case". Maybe something worth looking at aswell if all other options are exhausted?
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 14:52   #7
Teddy1975

You would have to break open the steering column lock first in order to use that emulator (it basically tricks the ECM into believing the SCL has disengaged when it's being told to do so).
Also, you need to install it before the lock fails so the data sent between the lock and the ECM can be recorded. Not really worth it for the average driver, in my opinion.
Teddy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teddy1975 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2022, 18:55   #8
aquacultureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Literally just today I came across this contraption (that never even would thought it existed ) and bookmarked it "just in case". Maybe something worth looking at aswell if all other options are exhausted?
Thanks yes I spotted that. Theres a UK company that supplies them wherby the emulator plugs straight into the cable that goes to the SCL - no messing about with shorting the emulator circuit board etc.

Anyway, personally, I would be wary of such a device, since the car would be relying on 3rd party software which may get the car confused at the wrong moment. I will be trying the remove and lubricate method 1st...then off to volvo if all else fails.