Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spicer axle type 27 - shims rh or lh side

Views : 2995

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2016, 22:23   #11
simonvolvo

Here is a good explanation of how things work:

http://www.volvokv.nl/forum/aandrijf...tart=10#145406

You don’t really have to understand the Dutch. The diagrams say it all.

Regardless of which side your shims are, I think you are OK if, once you have tightened both the backing plates:

1. the axial play you measure is within the specified range; and

2. if you carry out the measurement of axial play on one side and repeat it on the other, you get the identical value. If you do, it means that the distance piece (yellow in the diagrams) at the centre of the diff remains floating at all times, as it should. If you get different values left and right you have a problem in that the distance piece reaches the end of its free travel.
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simonvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2016, 10:50   #12
SwallownAmazon

When Rob Henchoz set up the clearances after re-biluding my axle earlier in the year, he checked the axial play both sides and adjusted both sides with suitable shims. Without asking him now, I can only surmise that it is best to keep things as central as possible in the diff to reduce any wear due to imbalance to a minimum.
Measurement was done by listening and feeling - if you can hear some play but not actually see it using the Mk 1 eyeball at the end of shaft, that's about right.
Experience and success talking!
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2016, 12:23   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

A good idea to put the clearance spec in here. It is 0.07 - 0.20mm. This is very small and at the 0.07mm end of the range unlikely to be reliably seen or felt, hence use of the clock gauge.
Regarding the 1mm clearance mentioned, if that is the exact measured play you will need to add shims to the value of at least 0.80mm to meet the max allowed clearance. 2 x 0.35mm an 2 x 0.1mm will get you up close to the minimum clearance at 0.10mm but I think I would prefer to use only one 0.1mm shim to keep it at 0.20mm. Obviously you can use 1 x 0.35mm + 5 x 0.1mm to get it below 0.20mm if you want to get it inside the limits.

The clock gauge set-up on the Nl link looks as if it uses a dummy plate to replace the brake back plate, which is a very good idea even if you are doing this task with the axle on the car.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2016, 13:40   #14
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Relevance

Working on this with Ciderman right now. His Amazon estate has too much end float and we'll fix that by removal/replacement of shims. While we're at it we've decided to remove the axle as there are various worn out suspension bushes but we'll store it after the fix. Replacement axle is a modified one I had built for me over 20 years ago with a saloon diff. Should be nice if it's still ok after all that time....
Old Jun 26th, 2024, 16:06   #15
ciderman

Default Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvorama View Post
Working on this with Ciderman right now. His Amazon estate has too much end float and we'll fix that by removal/replacement of shims. While we're at it we've decided to remove the axle as there are various worn out suspension bushes but we'll store it after the fix. Replacement axle is a modified one I had built for me over 20 years ago with a saloon diff. Should be nice if it's still ok after all that time....
The axle proved to howl like a banshee and rendered the car almost undrivable for 5 years.......
ciderman is offline   Reply With Quote