Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V50 D 2011 issues

Views : 279

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2024, 17:26   #11
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanja4g View Post
Have ordered some electrical switch cleaner and will have a go next week at cleaning it. The location seems slightly different to the ones in all the you tube videos. On my one it appears to be on the passenger side, under the footwell, but not on the front wall but more on the ceiling of the footwell. If that makes sense, upside down. Anyway will have a go. I don't have any diagnostic instruments apart from a multimeter, which in this case , I guess, is pretty useless.
My biggest wformorry is getting the thing back in as will be working upside down.
Thank you everybody for all the help and suggestions.
yes thats right the cem is in the same place on all cars on this platform. after removing the decorative panel you will be able to see the cem. make sure to disconnect the battery give it ten mins for the modules to go to sleep. the cem can pivot down for access to some of the plugs. you need to lift the levers on the plugs this helps pull the plug proceed carefully as the pins are small an delicate. as you are going in there it may be worth changing the pollen filter as the access to it is behind the cem good luck and post your progress
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 19:04   #12
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
Personally, I think it's worth a try if you're prepared to invest a couple of hours of your time and you have the confidence to take it on.

If you don't already have the DICE and VIDA tools then you'd need to acquire them or book into a garage having them. Either way, you're looking at £100 upwards and even then, if it shows comms/signal loss errors to multiple modules the place to start is still going to be cleaning and checking wiring connections.

Since we're talking basic maintenance rather than throwing new parts at it, I don't see the issue with making an informed guess, if you're prepared to spend the time and a few quid on consumables (and still be defeated).

There's still every chance the CEM has failed and is irreparable but cross that bridge when you get there.

I recommend a contact cleaner from a well-known brand and also a small plastic brush to be able to give the contact surfaces a good scrub over. In the case of the vehicle I repaired, I went the whole hog - I removed all the fuses (noting carefully where everything goes come replacement time) and opened up the module, so that I could scrub and clean the tracks and solder joints of the PCBs too (mineral deposits from traces of corrosion can cause problems too, not just the contacts in the plugs).

The location in the vehicle sounds the same as the one I worked on. It can be done but you'll need to contort yourself in the footwell a bit to get good access. A head torch for illumination will make things easier.

AND - take some pictures of where all the plugs go into the module before you starting taking them out. They are all keyed and of different sizes (from what I remember) so they can't go back wrong however, there are quite a few and it can be daunting when faced with them all hanging there ;-)

Good luck.
Yup, photograph everything, every fuse location, every catch, everything. It's amazing how helpful it can be if you're doing something you're not overly familiar with.