Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2015 S60 Displays Overheating, But Not Always

Views : 140

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2024, 21:53   #1
parisi22

Default 2015 S60 Displays Overheating, But Not Always

Hi everyone. I am new here and hope someone has ideas. I have a 2015 S60. I brought it to the shop for a regular repair and told them that the "low coolant" message came on once, but disappeared.

They said I had a leaking hose and replaced it. I drove it home with no issues. About 5 days later, I was about 2 minutes from my house when the "engine running too hot" message came on. I turned around immediately. I had the car towed to the shop.

They said the water pump and termostat needing replacing. I did this. I drove it home (about 20 minute drive), with no issues. Later that day, I drove maybe 1 KM and the "engine running too hot" message came on. I returned home and had the car towed to the shop. When I returned home, I noticed a stream of coolant in my driveway and under my car in the garage. Not a lot, but some.

They said they found a hose that was not attached right. They fixed it. The mechanic drove my car 30 or so kilometers yesterday with no issues. Today, he started it, took it out and within minutes it said "engine running too hot." He doesn't think it's actually overheating b/c it's happening too fast.

I haven't seen signs of head gasket issue - no white smoke, engine performs very well.

Any ideas of what is going on?

Thank you.
parisi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 15:09   #2
scissors

If it's the 4-cylinder VEA engine then it seems the coolant system needs to be filled with a vacuum pump to avoid air in the system. Not sure if your garage has done this or even it is related to your issue. Just something to consider.
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 16:22   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisi22 View Post
Hi everyone. I am new here and hope someone has ideas. I have a 2015 S60. I brought it to the shop for a regular repair and told them that the "low coolant" message came on once, but disappeared.

They said I had a leaking hose and replaced it. I drove it home with no issues. About 5 days later, I was about 2 minutes from my house when the "engine running too hot" message came on. I turned around immediately. I had the car towed to the shop.

They said the water pump and termostat needing replacing. I did this. I drove it home (about 20 minute drive), with no issues. Later that day, I drove maybe 1 KM and the "engine running too hot" message came on. I returned home and had the car towed to the shop. When I returned home, I noticed a stream of coolant in my driveway and under my car in the garage. Not a lot, but some.

They said they found a hose that was not attached right. They fixed it. The mechanic drove my car 30 or so kilometers yesterday with no issues. Today, he started it, took it out and within minutes it said "engine running too hot." He doesn't think it's actually overheating b/c it's happening too fast.

I haven't seen signs of head gasket issue - no white smoke, engine performs very well.

Any ideas of what is going on?

Thank you.
Could be air in the system as the above poster mentioned.

Was it an aftermarket water pump/thermostat they fitted? The one they took off could have been better than the one they replaced it with.

I'd start with purging the system of any air first. If that doesn't help, I'd be suspicious of the water pump/thermostat they fitted. You don't want cheap/junk parts cooling the engine. It needs to be genuine Volvo, or as a minimum, quality aftermarket from a reputable brand. There's a lot of junk parts nowadays that simply don't work.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 1st, 2024 at 16:25.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling system, overheating, s60