Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 Rear washer help

Views : 338

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread : Goshawk

Old Jun 13th, 2024, 15:12   #1
Goshawk

Default V60 Rear washer help

Hi Guys,
I have noticed that our 2020 V60 rear jet wiper wash is not working. The front screen wash works fine. I topped up the screen wash reservoir and disconnected the hose attached to the rear wiper but still no water. The wiper moves ok and i can hear the pump, any ideas, cheers Gos
Goshawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 21:45   #2
richardt1994

Hello Goshawk,
I had the same problem on my V70. Is there any washer fluid on the ground under the car after trying the rear wash? If so, it could be split or loose hose fitting to the pump. Although I am not sure where the pump is on a V60, On the v70, it is behind the passenger side wheel arch liner and is a single pump for both front and rear washers. On my V70 pump there is a mesh filter that was plugged up with gunk and blocking the flow. Accessing the pump on a V70 is a pain and really needs a ramp and the bumper removing so I paid a local indy garage to remove and clean the pump. Hopefully, the pump is easier to access on a V60. I believe that cheap washer antifreeze uses mineral salts to do the "anti-freezing" and this is what can cause the build up of gunk. More expensive fluids (Volvo) use spirit (alcohol) as the anti-freeze and do not cause gunk build up.
Good luck
richardt1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardt1994 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 13:42   #3
EssexExile
Master Member

My XC60 stopped washing the rear screen so I got the dealer to look at it during the service. I was told he just flushed some muck out, he'd obviously been working behind the trim on the tailgate, £60 please. It worked ok for over a week but then...
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 20:08   #4
Goshawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt1994 View Post
Hello Goshawk,
I had the same problem on my V70. Is there any washer fluid on the ground under the car after trying the rear wash? If so, it could be split or loose hose fitting to the pump. Although I am not sure where the pump is on a V60, On the v70, it is behind the passenger side wheel arch liner and is a single pump for both front and rear washers. On my V70 pump there is a mesh filter that was plugged up with gunk and blocking the flow. Accessing the pump on a V70 is a pain and really needs a ramp and the bumper removing so I paid a local indy garage to remove and clean the pump. Hopefully, the pump is easier to access on a V60. I believe that cheap washer antifreeze uses mineral salts to do the "anti-freezing" and this is what can cause the build up of gunk. More expensive fluids (Volvo) use spirit (alcohol) as the anti-freeze and do not cause gunk build up.
Good luck
Thsnkd for the reply, i will have another look tomorrow under the car as i have been away. To be honest i haven't seen any fluid on the drive so think may drain and flush with warm water let you know how i get on
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 20:13   #5
Goshawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
My XC60 stopped washing the rear screen so I got the dealer to look at it during the service. I was told he just flushed some muck out, he'd obviously been working behind the trim on the tailgate, £60 please. It worked ok for over a week but then...
Thanks for the reply, i will try flushing with warm water as it maybe gunk, to be honest i cant remember the last time it was working i do believe there is a non return valve in the tailgate behind trim i will look at that also, thx for the reply will let you know how we get on, if no good book it into my local indie
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 14:24   #6
Goshawk

Default Seemed to be fixed

Hi Guys, strange one this, looked on you tube and decided to drain the washer tank then fill with warm water hopefully to loosen any gunk. Bought a siphoning tube but i was unable to insert the tube into the washer tank as on the V60 20 plate the cap filter comes out OK but the tube wont go in as it seems to go in on a angle not straight down which i was expecting it to do so. So i thought about draining the tank by activating the front screen wash which are working OK. After activating the front screen wash on and off for about 30 seconds I tried the rear and it worked perfectly. I think i must of removed the blockage somewhere when operating the front washers, thats all i done, Gos
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 21:29   #7
EssexExile
Master Member

I'll have to try that!
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 08:15   #8
Adam73

Default rear wash

i had a very similar problem, rear wash stopped working during this last winter. the pumps are behind the front nearside wheel arch between the wheel and the bulkhead (UK spec). i have two pumps, as i have headlight wash. the twin outlet pump is for the screens. the rear pipe has a join here, if you pull the join apart liquid will flow. the next join i found was at the top of the D pillar also on the nearside. the next join was on the rear hatch, and then the issue on mine the non-return valve that is directly behind the rear wiper motor. i used a small hex key and flushed it through with tap water and now all working fine. the pressure shouldn't build up that a join can pop, as the pump isn't made that way hence the liquid flow from gravity at the wheel arch. only did this myself this week after 7 months of no rear wash.
Adam73 is offline   Reply With Quote