Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition Coil

Views : 787

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2024, 11:16   #11
Nick850GLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJVTHEBEST View Post
I had read that both camshaft position and crankshaft position sensors play up and can display the symptoms you're experiencing but, as I said, the crankshaft one was the culprit in my case although the camshaft one is easier to change!
My apologies - I mis-read your original helpful post, not realising at that time there were actually 2 position sensors! (can't quite see why). I've gone and ordered the camshaft one now - I guess given the modest cost if I end up doing both there is little lost. Thanks again for your help, will update when the saga concludes. P.S. Just decided to order both sensors as the cost isn't much compared with a garage bill.

Last edited by Nick850GLT; Jun 28th, 2024 at 12:12.
Nick850GLT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick850GLT For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 15:02   #12
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Yes, let us know. Apologies in advance if it doesn't fix it!
PSJVTHEBEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2024, 20:03   #13
Nick850GLT

Default Update 1

Well the new crankshaft/RPM sensor arrived today and is now fitted - sadly still no improvement. The Royal Mail didn't deliver the camshaft sensor, so that awaits Monday. Fingers still crossed!
Old Jun 29th, 2024, 20:18   #14
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick850GLT View Post
Well the new crankshaft/RPM sensor arrived today and is now fitted - sadly still no improvement. The Royal Mail didn't deliver the camshaft sensor, so that awaits Monday. Fingers still crossed!
Absolutely. Fingers crossed!
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 16:11   #15
Nick850GLT

Default Cam sensor now replaced

The Camshaft sensor finally arrived today and is now fitted. Sadly no improvement at all, it is just added to the list of things I've changed to no avail. The engine continues to run rough - it still sounds like it isn't running on all cylinders. but I've now been through all the likely electrics and sensors, as well as doing a compression test.
I think it is time for the garage to see if they can find it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick850GLT For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 17:41   #16
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

It's a tricky one. As I'm sure you know it's usually either spark or fuel related but if you've checked you have spark at the plugs and your fuel pressure is good at the rail then without taking off the rail and checking the injectors are ok and they are firing as they should maybe the best bet is a garage if you have a good indi you can trust?
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 17:46   #17
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Just one more test that I'd be doing just to be sure - take the black spark plug cover off and run the car in the dark. It'll have to be quite late at this time of year, (the darker the better) but in the dark it's amazing how many stray sparks can show up. I know you've changed the HT leads etc but they're probably after-market ones and some of these can be of questionable quality. The "run it in the dark" test is quick and easy, and of course free - if you have NO stray sparks you can be confident that the HT side is fine IMHO.
Old Jul 3rd, 2024, 17:59   #18
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Just one more test that I'd be doing just to be sure - take the black spark plug cover off and run the car in the dark. It'll have to be quite late at this time of year, (the darker the better) but in the dark it's amazing how many stray sparks can show up. I know you've changed the HT leads etc but they're probably after-market ones and some of these can be of questionable quality. The "run it in the dark" test is quick and easy, and of course free - if you have NO stray sparks you can be confident that the HT side is fine IMHO.
I totally endorse Luxobarge's suggestion.
At 240,000 miles, the injectors could be clogged too! Checking them involves a bit more work!
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 15:21   #19
volvo2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick850GLT View Post
Interested to know if you have got anywhere with this?
I have the same car - also in Worcestershire (Malvern) - with 250k on the clock. The engine has just started to run a bit rough - juddering a bit a low revs.
Initial diagnosis was a random misfire, so I replaced leads, plugs, rotor arm and distributor cap - all to no effect. Back to wondering if the coil might be in partial failure.
Various folk have suggested air leaks - but I can't find anything.
Yes, I cleaned the Idle control valve, replaced the fuel pump relay, distributor cap, rotor, and cables, along with the cam shaft sensor, and thankfully the problem went away.
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 16:38   #20
Nick850GLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo2 View Post
Yes, I cleaned the Idle control valve, replaced the fuel pump relay, distributor cap, rotor, and cables, along with the cam shaft sensor, and thankfully the problem went away.
Thanks for responding. Any idea which item actually did the trick?
As far as I understand it, the idle control valve could cause erratic idle (revs varying), but perhaps not the rough/judder I've got.
Also, did you change the coil?
The garage has my car at the moment - and have just had a total failure, car now won't start and they think the coil has died. I'm just hoping that isn't a mis-diagnosis caused by something else, like the brand new crank sensor! (Too many times I've seen the newest item die, with a journey up the garden path resulting)
After that cleaning the throttle body and chasing fuel problems may be on the list.

Thanks to others for various suggestions. Will update as and when.....