Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo issues

Views : 222

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2024, 11:13   #1
Spriteracer

Default Turbo issues

Morning all. I need a bit of help please and apologies if this initial post is a bit lengthy.
I have a 2009 model XC70 with D5 and Polestar upgrade. Mileage approx 221k

The turbo was replaced by Volvo in 2019 (about 80k miles ago) Swirl flaps and actuator have been replaced and calibrated. A Volvo independent had a look at the boost pipes and couldn't see any leaks, albeit without a smoke test. EGR is clean and moves, Air mass device swapped for a known good one.

For the past few weeks it goes into limp mode intermittently with codes P029900 turbocharger under boost and P23484 turbocharger over boost at the same time. If the codes are cleared they can reoccur after 50 yards or 50 miles and can come and go driving along. The dash message is "engine service required - urgent"

Volvo have advised after two visits to diagnose, that another new turbo is required at a cost of £3k+ but are not 100% sure of the exact issue. They say all the relevant sensors are within parameter. Patently this is not realistic as it is probably more than the car is worth. Even an independent is likely to charge £1500- £2,000. The car is too good to scrap, but not saleable like this.

Does anyone have any further suggestions to offer, and can someone point me at a "how-to" to remove the turbo and it's controller myself to inspect. I'm reasonably mechanically minded and have built and run my own race car for many years.

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Spriteracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 11:26   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

did they fit a new actuator with the new turbo? also check the inter cooler for any bowing or splits check all associated pipe work including any rigid pipe work which may have broken away from the fixing a smoke test will aid these tests its not unheard off for the gears in the actuator to fail.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 13:25   #3
100K+
Premier Member

I have a 2015MY V70 D5 which has an infrequent ECM-P029900 under boost condition and a over boost condition - but a different code to you. They have never thrown a MIL. If I never exceed 2000rpm they would never return, and such is the torque staying under 2000rpm is no great difficulty. My initial diagnosis was the two turbo control values, located in my car on the RHS ( facing the car) at the back of the engine near the battery box. They are the size of a match box. One has 3 rubber pipes leading to it (IIRC the left and right run to sections of the intake system the centre one runs down to the larger turbo waste gate) the other has an electrical/vacuum operation?? and only 2 pipes one runs to the inlet manifold top, the other to the air flow diverter ( it looks like a waste gate actuator) which changed the air flow to the larger turbo from the small one.
I have read my issue is with the 2 pipe unit.
When I originally looked at this problem ( several years ago) replacement parts were three figures, recently I have seen the bits on ebay and similar for under £30.
Both bits are used across many V/S turbo cars. Si Robb has 2 or 3 videos on Utube about how to clean each unit- so they have been around some time..
Good luck Cheers Bob
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 14:33   #4
Spriteracer

100k+ many thanks. I will have a look at the parts you suggest although I would have hoped the Volvo main agent would also have done so...
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 14:39   #5
Spriteracer

Simmy, thanks. As far as I recall they replaced the whole thing. I do recall them mentioning broken gears, and the fact that they will not just replace damaged parts - such as the actuator even if the turbo itself is still ok.

I will check the intercooler and pipes again even though both Volvo and the indy have apparently already done so. I seem to remember a youtube video on how to make a smoke tester. Commercially available ones seem too expensive for a one-off use.
Old Jul 4th, 2024, 16:08   #6
Rcdean

I've had this problem before, was very intermittent at first, just thought it was gearbox being lazy and not wanting to shift down.

Was only after doing a scan and getting the over and under boost faults that led me to looking at the turbo system.

One thing that I noticed was that both errors logged at the same time which made me suspect electrical.

This pressure sensor will need replacing,

Bosch 0261230293 Pressure and Temperature Sensor https://amzn.eu/d/07muuuPf

It's located on the intercooler on the bottom right hand side where the pipe comes in it

Not the easiest to change if you've got big hands.
Rcdean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rcdean For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2024, 13:16   #7
Spriteracer

Rcdean, That is really helpful thanks. My two codes also occur at the same time so hopefully a new one will solve the problem. Ordered so fingers crossed !