Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

On call service required - worth the diagnosis charge?

Views : 1075

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2024, 14:13   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falter View Post
I've been getting the message pop up 'on call service required' for the last few weeks.

This message does not affect the vehicle, and all of my on call features still seem to work ok (eg I can remote start the car, locate it etc).

I did have a strange issue the other day, when locking the car, all windows would lower themselves. I wondered if this could be anything at all to do with the error I am seeing? I don't want a repeat of that problem, as the risk of a rain soaked car is too high!

Volvo dealerships are charging £200 just for the 1hr diagnostics, and parts and labour are all on top of that figure. Is there any other troubleshooting I can do?

The on call app in the car is up to date (as of today 8 july), as it the app on my phone.

Thanks
Have you pressed the button and talked to the ON CALL operator? They might be able to check it out and advise.
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 10:27   #12
falter

Update:
The diagnostics suggested 'internal battery' fault code. They tested a known working battery, but the warning was still present.

They have quoted for a new VCM £2,056.44

Given that there doesn't seem to be any issues, I think i'll leave it as is

Last edited by falter; Jul 11th, 2024 at 10:42.
falter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 11:45   #13
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Update:
The diagnostics suggested 'internal battery' fault code. They tested a known working battery, but the warning was still present.

They have quoted for a new VCM £2,056.44

Given that there doesn't seem to be any issues, I think i'll leave it as is
I am sure the software update will sort it out, they are not trying the easiest cheapest options first. As mine was under warranty and I was not having to pay for a new VCM the update was applied and fixed the problem.
Maybe if I had not had a warranty they would have gone down the same route as your dealer, as it was a warranty issue they contacted Volvo UK who informed them of the software update for this issue.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 11:50   #14
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Have you pressed the button and talked to the ON CALL operator? They might be able to check it out and advise.
When I had this issue i did that and everything still worked as it should, it was just the message popping up every time you turned engine on. But it is a good idea to contact Volvo direct and they might advise the dealer of the update.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 13:12   #15
falter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
When I had this issue i did that and everything still worked as it should, it was just the message popping up every time you turned engine on. But it is a good idea to contact Volvo direct and they might advise the dealer of the update.
Full details from the dealer:
Module internal failure

VCM-U105000 - Backup battery lifetime confirmed long duration fault (ie it is constant)

VCM-U106000 - No communication over ethernet to IHU (internal head unit ie the screen)

How would I go about contacting Volvo directly to obtain the software update information? Many thanks!
falter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 21:50   #16
Alben
Al

Best of luck contacting Volvo UK. All I got was a referral back to the Dealers diagnosis of a faulty speaker or dash wiring.
Lost all faith in both Dealer and Volvo.
Next car will not be one of theirs.
Also well known problem in the USA, see my earlier post, resulting in a recall.
Alben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 00:34   #17
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Full details from the dealer:
Module internal failure

VCM-U105000 - Backup battery lifetime confirmed long duration fault (ie it is constant)

VCM-U106000 - No communication over ethernet to IHU (internal head unit ie the screen)

How would I go about contacting Volvo directly to obtain the software update information? Many thanks!
You can press the on call button to chat with the call service or use the contact details in this link https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/contact
Old Jul 12th, 2024, 15:04   #18
nimnul

In 99% cases of the "volvo on-call service required" error it's related to VCM battery replacement.

1) You can get genuine battery (part number 31450445) for £80 and get software update at dealership for £80 = £160 in total if you replace is by yourself (£240 savings). You can save more if you'll get

2) If you want dealership to do everything then you'll pay £400 in total.

Source:
https://www.volvopartscounter.com/oe...ttery-31450445
https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/v...-guide.680280/
nimnul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2024, 16:04   #19
Alben
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
This is being reported more and more lately, I had it a month or so ago and the dealer diagnosed the voc/vcm module internal battery required replacing, which did not fix the problem, then they contacted Volvo UK who said it required a software update which sorted it, before getting the battery replaced which is expensive ask for the software update.
Also had this problem and the service software update did not solve the problem which was diagnosed by the “Tech” as either the central speaker or the Fascia wiring. No mention of the Voc/Vom module battery.

Volvo UK help desk knew nothing about any software update, I just wonder if they make all of this up to pacify the Customer?
Alben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2024, 17:10   #20
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alben View Post
Also had this problem and the service software update did not solve the problem which was diagnosed by the “Tech” as either the central speaker or the Fascia wiring. No mention of the Voc/Vom module battery.

Volvo UK help desk knew nothing about any software update, I just wonder if they make all of this up to pacify the Customer?
Maybe, but at least I got mine fixed at second attemp. Hope others do too without much expense.

Tags
on call service required