Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Charging failure Service urgent" plus red battery light

Views : 864

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2024, 16:00   #1
Paul Bearer

Default "Charging failure Service urgent" plus red battery light

Volvo V70 2.4D 2008

For a couple of weeks had a low whine whilst in motion, nothing when stopped, so booked in with local mechanic to see what the problem was but got hit with covid, so could not take it and car sat for 10 days without use

Tested negative so off to the shops, its only 1.6 miles, got there no issues, went to go to another shop close by and a warning came up "Charging failure Service urgent" plus red battery light, so off home I go

Glad to get home without issue, checked with a multi meter, my battery then reading 12.01v, with running engine 13.38 to 13.42v , with fan, lights etc on 13.34 to 13.36v

So it appears the alternator has insufficient output

I am assuming here its the alternator but can't get to mechanic yet as he is booked up, would I be right in thinking the alternator is the likely cause?

And being without any other transport, what are the chances of the alternator dying completely?
I don't want to risk getting stuck but may have to at some point

It had a new battery September 2022

I phoned the nearest Volvo dealer and they quoted £615 for an alternator, I confess I burst out laughing ;-)
Paul Bearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 16:28   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

dont risk it if the alternator seizes it will wreck the belt and possibly damage other things buy an alternator and fit it at home with a new belt as well.. check the the tensioner and pulleys .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 17:32   #3
Paul Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
dont risk it if the alternator seizes it will wreck the belt and possibly damage other things buy an alternator and fit it at home with a new belt as well.. check the the tensioner and pulleys .
Thanks for your reply, not so very long ago I would have done just that without a second thought, but like the car I am getting a little long in the tooth for mucking around with cars but may be forced to

Back in the day it was a whole lot easier to get at and change items like alternators but these days you have to disassemble half the car to get at anything

I saw no sign of binding in the alternator but want to check into that further tomorrow
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 18:55   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

try to find a local independent garage ... main dealers charge £200 per hour .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 19:12   #5
Paul Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
try to find a local independent garage ... main dealers charge £200 per hour .
Thanks for yours, yes I already use an independent but he is just very busy as are all garages round here, its what we find every summer, influx of tourists and lots of breakdowns

Last I had to use a main Volvo agent I think it was £140 per hour that was two years agao for a steering lock, for which no one has the software to install and program, such a con but there was no other way, over £525 !!
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 19:28   #6
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Do you have a local auto electrical Ctr?
Most will test the alternator- supply parts or repair:~
A lot of garages will sub out this work anyway.

Good Luck.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 19:32   #7
Paul Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Do you have a local auto electrical Ctr?
Most will test the alternator- supply parts or repair:~
A lot of garages will sub out this work anyway.

Good Luck.
Bob.
Cheers, yes we do and I used him recently but he also is very booked up, its always the same come tourist time, and when do our cars all start going wrong, yes the same time, they run fine all winter ;-)
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 20:40   #8
capt jack
VOC Member

Are you in the AA?

When a rear brake calliper seized on my V70 they sorted it and fitted a new one whilst the car was on the driveway. In total, including running through to York to collect the parts, the patrolman spent about 4 hours on my car, and I was charged £300. A new calliper from Eurocarparts is £140 or so. He said it made a nice change to do some proper mechanical work, instead of just plugging a diagnostic computer and then towing the car in!

I'd have thought an alternator swap would be a perfect AA driveway fix.

If you've got a red warning light that usually means the car is not drivable.

The other thought would be a local Halfords / National Tyres branch. Again, I'd have thought very much the sort of thing they'd do?

If the alternator seizes and the aux belt lets go you could be in trouble.

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Jul 10th, 2024 at 20:49.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 21:00   #9
Paul Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Are you in the AA?

When a rear brake calliper seized on my V70 they sorted it and fitted a new one whilst the car was on the driveway. In total, including running through to York to collect the parts, the patrolman spent about 4 hours on my car, and I was charged £300. A new calliper from Eurocarparts is £140 or so. He said it made a nice change to do some proper mechanical work, instead of just plugging a diagnostic computer and then towing the car in!

I'd have thought an alternator swap would be a perfect AA driveway fix.

If you've got a red warning light that usually means the car is not drivable.

The other thought would be a local Halfords / National Tyres branch. Again, I'd have thought very much the sort of thing they'd do?

If the alternator seizes and the aux belt lets go you could be in trouble.

Jack
Thanks for your but no, not a current member of either RAC or AA although have been looking at joining due to concerns

You must have been lucky with yor man as not many do that, it would be a quick fix or tow to nearest garage and dump you

As I said in anothe reply, I will check for any binding on the alternator or pulleys but haven't noticed anything yet but time will tell

I fear I may end up doing it mysef but could do without it frankly
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Bearer For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 00:01   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

I know it may be a bit of a wait, but I'd be inclined to book it into a garage and don't use the car until then (if at all possible). I know its not a job you fancy doing yourself as you mentioned, so leave it to the professionals.

Short journeys to the shops won't help, although I know we all have to do it. Starting and stopping the engine puts pressure on the belt and the alternator. Its not a risk you want to take if at all possible. If that belt snaps or the alternator packs in, your engine will be destroyed. The whining noise is your warning.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 11th, 2024 at 00:05.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: