Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4T Oil Leak Fix

Views : 4371

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2010, 22:54   #1
YellowPinkie
Secret Squirrel

Default 2.4T Oil Leak Fix

It appears that a common fault on S60s (and derived vehicles) is that the low pressure oil drain from the turbo can start to leak. Whilst it isn't great amounts of oil that are lost, the undertray soon gets yucky and spots appear on your driveway. This job was done on a 2001 petrol 2.4T, but other models will be similar.

It's a simple and cheap fix.

The parts from Volvo are about £2.70 for the small gasket at the top of the pipe (this is the bit that leaks) and a silicon o-ring that fits round the pipe as it presses into the side of the block, just above the sump.

Once the undertray is removed, access is simple. You need to undo the Torx headed bolt that holds the drain pipe to the turbo. The pipe is clamped to a neighbouring hard line; the clamp can be loosened so that the drain pipe is free. Removing it is a real tight squeeze but it can be done with a bit of wiggling and maybe a swear word or two.

Clean the gasket surfaces on the pipe and turbo, discard the old o-ring and refit.

The job should take 30 minutes or so.

The drain pipe is the thicker of the two pipes in the photo; the one that runs from the turbo to the block. To hep you orientate yourself, the photo was taken on my back looking up behind the engine, with my feet poking under the front bumper.

Last edited by YellowPinkie; Jan 17th, 2010 at 23:08. Reason: Trying to get the Flickr link to work...
YellowPinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YellowPinkie For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 10:40   #2
ZedTheHead

My 2000 s80 2.0T has the same problem.

Rather than just replace the gasket, it would be worth looking into what might have caused the gasket to blow, as on mine, a clogged up oil trap.
ZedTheHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 10:48   #3
YellowPinkie
Secret Squirrel

I thought the gasket went on mine because it is a lousy bit on engineering on Volvo's part...
YellowPinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 11:18   #4
ZedTheHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPinkie View Post
I thought the gasket went on mine because it is a lousy bit on engineering on Volvo's part...
It is!
But I like to be thorough.
ZedTheHead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, leak, oil, turbo