Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 82823

Replies : 1412

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2024, 00:12   #1411
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Lithium battery cells? Totally safe

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/24/w...uth-korea.html

Nothing to see here, move along now.
That probably says more about poor health and safety, fire alarms and evacuation procedures at that factory than batteries.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 09:55   #1412
poisondart
Well la dee frickin' da

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/co...ack-to-petrol/

Go back 4 or 5 years I would've loved a Tesla. Just because they were cool.

Now, nah.
poisondart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2024, 22:54   #1413
Craigtange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
That is true. There’s always going to be emissions… It will never be truly zero. New ICE cars will no longer be produced by 2035, leaving only the used market for ICE vehicles or EV’s then.

I’m not entirely convinced of how “green” EV’s are. It’s not just infrastructure for EV’s that needs looking at. Cleaner ways to produce the energy required to charge and manufacture them also has to be considered. Huge investment is required globally. exoticautoservices.ae/car-programming-in-abu-dhabi/

I think people often forget that there may be no tail pipe emissions from an EV, but the electric to charge it doesn’t magically appear. If everyone is driving around in EV’s in future, will we really be tackling emissions? Taking into account that renewable energy to charge these cars isn’t totally “green” either. The more EV’s that are on the road, that increases the volume of the production of electricity to keep them going electrical solutions for all car models, which in turn increases emissions. We can’t rely solely on wind. Progress has been made, but like everything, its going to take a long time and a lot of money to produce more sustainable non-fossil fuel energy.

There is no easy solution, but we could be robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Hi, I have a C200K (W203) 2003 model which recently started to act up. The problem started with the automatic windscreen wipers not working. I have to keep holding the stick to get them to work. Sometimes, when I signal left, the automatic wipers work. Then the instrument dashboard light started dimming after time. When I first start the car, it's ok and bright. But then it starts to dim the more I drive until it is no longer readable. Then the driver-side automatic window started to "lose power" as well. When I first start the car, everything is fine. But after I drive a bit, it stops rolling back up. Today, I started the car and the whole dashboard wasn't working. No warning signs. No lights. Even the speedometer and the petrol meter didn't move. After removing & inserting the key multiple times, they worked again, but now the SRS restraint system control worning is on. I checked all the fuses and couldn't find any fault in any of them. I had the window switch checked, and there doesn't seem to be a problem in it. I'm not sure where the problem is, whether it's a faulty SAM or a battery issue or what exactly. I took it to a garage and they couldn't figure out what's wrong with it. I'm due to take it to another garage soon, but I'd like to have a general idea what to look for so that we don't miss anything this time.
Craigtange is offline   Reply With Quote