Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 96986

Replies : 1520

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2024, 19:27   #1431
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
It just ain’t gunna happen. India have already said they’re going to keep running coal fired power stations for thirty years at least. That’s just one country, what about China, S American countries and other poor nations who can’t afford to splash the cash on the electric dream? As we withdraw from the fossil fuel rat race any gains we make will be absorbed by other polluting countries.
And that's the sad fact of it.

I have no issue with those minded to protect the future of our planet, if indeed at this late stage it still has one. I believe the transition to 'clean' energy is the right thing to do (but I also believe that nuclear is a necessary part of that right now, possibly as SMR, and 'clean enough'). However, when we start that in earnest, there's nowhere for energy costs to go but upwards and unless we can precipitate change in those with whom we trade, it will simply be another nail in the coffin for domestic production. We'll just be offshoring the burning of polluting fossil fuels.

It's the arrogance of a 'green' party that assumes the electorate is too ignorant to recognise that spending 5x to 10x over and above the cost of overhead grid ties will do anything other than push up energy prices and hence move pollution elsewhere that really annoys me. They're nothing more than another populist party, telling a different section of voters want they want to hear in return for tax payer funded tickets to the gravy train whilst knowing full well that they can't deliver any of it.
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 21:21   #1432
don kalmar union
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
And that's the sad fact of it.

It's the arrogance of a 'green' party that assumes the electorate is too ignorant .
Odd word Arrogance to describe those of a Green persuasion?

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 22:28   #1433
Forg

ULEZ charges and congestion charges are two different things aren't they?
ULEZ's are about trying to reduce localised pollution, whereas congestion charges are more about freeing-up transport aren't they?

I understand the problem with the entire developing world continuing to CO2; I guess if nobody ever starts, then it will never happen at all. And it needs to happen.
I kinda reckon we're doomed though.

Last edited by Forg; Jul 7th, 2024 at 22:32.
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forg For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 22:33   #1434
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
I think it right ALL vehicles pay the congestion charge. It doesn't matter what propels the vehicle a car is a car takes up space on the road and adds to congestion. That charge is meant as a deterrent.

I struggle more with ULEZ. There's no tailpipe emissions from an EV but there is an equivalent CO2g/kWh at the power station and peversely the cheapest electricity for charging your car (overnight) is the dirtiest in terms of equivalent CO2g/kWh as there's no solar feed then and gas or coal is the fallback.
I agree. Just because a vehicle is electric doesn't mean they should have been exempt from a congestion charge... That wasn't going to last forever. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I guess it was a way for people to "jump ship" from a regular petrol/diesel car that had to pay the congestion charge of £15 per day to EV's that were free. £15 per day is a lot if you're in the city regularly...

Quote:
I thought the whole point of ULEZ and Congestion Charge exclusion was to encourage people to buy less or zero polluting cars in a City where they’re always banging on about the pollution levels. It seems money now trumps people’s health and wellbeing. I’m waiting to see if the 2035 extension is kept or they’re going to bring it forward to 2030. It’d be nice if the government would just talk an adult decision and get on with it. It seems to be a thing that our government no matter what party is in charge seems to be incapable of doing. Give people direction and if it all goes Pete Tong, have the balls to stand up and be counted.
Fingers crossed, this government will give everyone an idea of what’s happening next

TT
Partially. I think its about money myself. Sadiq Khan won't release any data. In fact, there was an article in the Telegraph a few months ago that said he tried to "silence" Scientists who had basically disputed the whole scheme saying it makes minimal impact to pollution. What does that say? He's covering his own back side, but ULEZ is a cash cow that generates millions and it isn't going to disappear.

There's a chap on YouTube who recorded air quality data before ULEZ was expended and after. Guess what? The pollution levels have risen! Its no wonder Khan is hiding the details. So people can drive "compliant" cars, but is it really making a difference? The fact that the ULEZ zone is surrounded by airports doesn't help either. There's more pollution from the planes and London underground, but there's no word of that. Figurately speaking, its like putting a clean air zone next to a coal power plant.

Starmer reckons he's going to bring the ban on the sale of new petrol/diesel vehicles forward to 2030, which isn't long away at all. Car manufacturers have already started ditching EV plans for new ICE vehicles because Sunak changed the date last year to 2035. Now if 2030 comes to fruition, they'll have to go back to EV due to Government regulation. Its a clown show really. The Government don't know what they're doing. The manufacturers, through no fault of their own, don't really know either!

Quote:
It just ain’t gunna happen. India have already said they’re going to keep running coal fired power stations for thirty years at least. That’s just one country, what about China, S American countries and other poor nations who can’t afford to splash the cash on the electric dream? As we withdraw from the fossil fuel rat race any gains we make will be absorbed by other polluting countries. Will they follow our example? Unlikely. The only advantage will be localised pollution reduction and that’s about it. For the rest of planet earth, it’ll be business as usual

TT
That's why ULEZ is a scam. The UK's carbon footprint contributes less than 1% to global emissions, yet we have the biggest emissions zone in the world (London). Go figure.

The big countries need to do more. We're literally ******* in the wind.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 7th, 2024 at 22:39.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 00:59   #1435
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post

Don.
Having read their manifesto - I would say it’s wholly appropriate.

There are those of a certain green persuasion, and those of a certain persuasion who would say it is green…..
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 09:56   #1436
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post

Don.
As I've explained very carefully and at length already, not the many people of genuine good environmental conscience and values but this specific organisation of charlatans and grifters masquerading under the flag of Green for their own personal gain, ego and infantile idealism.

Last edited by Moose Test; Jul 8th, 2024 at 10:06.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose Test For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 09:58   #1437
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
... is surrounded by airports doesn't help either ...
*mutters something about zero tax*
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 10:38   #1438
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
As I've explained very carefully and at length already, not the many people of genuine good environmental conscience and values but this specific organisation of charlatans and grifters masquerading under the flag of Green for their own personal gain, ego and infantile idealism.
I have such living near me, Just Stop Oil , boyfriend, spends thousands on legal fees supporting crack-pot , illegal solar panels in a conservation area and drives a 20 year old diesel car that smokes like a b*s*a*d.

Inherited wealth , of course.
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 10:51   #1439
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
It's just another form of extremism, they're mostly extremists going from one cause to another hijacking it for their own agenda - be that green matters, just stop oil, animal rights, islamic matters, etc.

Don't misconstrue that as I think all folk under the Green flag are like that - I salute anyone who truly is "green" and "off grid". But you only have to read the Green Part Election Manifesto to realise most of it was faintly ridiculous and undeliverable without serious and catastrophic consequences from failure.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 12:07   #1440
don kalmar union
Trader

Quote:
I may have missed something here in that I cannot figure out which specific 'green' branded organisation you are so incensed about. Could you please point me in their direction and I will have a poke around.

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote