Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What is the best way to re-fix the grille near the wipers?

Views : 935

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2024, 22:30   #11
volvojj

Default Mission completed! - wipers cowl/panel removal/installation

First let me thank all of you for the replies.

The feedback received helped me make the decision to start this project myself, instead of taking it to the shop. As a result, I have managed to:

i. remove cowl screen (access panel) and clean it
ii. thoroughly clean the area where the wipers motors are (from leafs and other organic dirt)
iii. fix the grille on the panel (using double sided tape)
iv. re-install the cowl screen

What follows is description of this process using photos from two days ago. I will put each step in separate posts in order to attach more photos:
volvojj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvojj For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 22:31   #12
volvojj

Default Removing the wipers

After removing the wipers few days ago (like in the videos in previous posts), I have marked them (left / right wiper – like in photo 1). I have read that they are not the same and if you mix them up, they will not work properly. To remove the wipers first your need to un-clip the plastic covers that are covering the wipers’ bolt nuts (photo 2). Be careful as the plastic might break. Then unscrew the nuts that are holding the wipers (13mm-but they are not on the photo) and then remove the wipers. Finally remove the two rubbers covering the cowl / panel above the wipers motors ends (photo 2).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (62.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Photo 2 - plastic and rubber covers.jpg (46.9 KB, 11 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to volvojj For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 22:33   #13
volvojj

Default Carefully removing the cowl screen /access panel

Prior to starting, I was mostly worried how will I remove the cowl screen/panel without braking anything (clips or smth else). The panel was tightly attached and did not feel loose even without the three screws.

The first step that made the cowl/panel release pressure, move slightly and become a bit loose was by applying force on the point where the two end-screws are located (prior to this all three screws/bolts must be removed; two on each side and one in the middle). With small plastic tool placed between the metal sheet of the panel and the one below (I started on the right side; photo 3) I managed to separate the two metals and immediately it felt that the cowl is moving a bit. I pulled the cowl about 1-2 centimeters back towards myself and the panel freed even more (photo 4). I did the same thing on the other end (left side-photo 5) and the cowl was even looser. Next I lowered the car bonnet/hood at ~30-degree angle, so I could pool back the cowl even more (when the hood is up - two hoses that bring water for the windshield sprinklers block the cowl). Then by pulling back the cowl it releases itself from the clips that are located below the windshield (photo 6) and from the two handles on both ends of the cowl just below the windscreen (photo 7). Once released from the clips and the handles the cowl/panel was fully released and can be raised above the windshield and removed (photo 7).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (57.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (48.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg photo 5.jpg (125.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg photo 6.jpg (71.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg photo 7.jpg (98.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by volvojj; Jun 18th, 2024 at 22:47.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvojj For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 22:35   #14
volvojj

Default A lot of dirt in the cowl compartment

From photos 8, 9 and 10 it can be seen that the grille was de-attached and that there were a lot of leafs and other dirt in the cowl compartment, including within the ventilation rotor which is located at the right end of the compartment protected with plastic cover and another smaller grille (photo 11) . To access the rotor, I removed the plastic cover that was holding on a piece of black mist (photos 11 – 12).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 8.jpg (338.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo 9.jpg (374.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg photo 10.jpg (394.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg photo 11 - after cleaning.jpg (64.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg photo 12 - after cleaning.jpg (131.3 KB, 12 views)
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 22:37   #15
volvojj

Default Cleaning the cowl and the cowl compartment

Photos 13, 14 and 15 show the cleaning of the cowl compartment. I used vacuum cleaner to collect leafs and dirt and cleaning wipes for the dust that has accumulated on the windscreen end, as well as on the metal and plastic parts. For cleaning the cowl/panel I have used cleaning wipes but first I have removed the old black mist (photos 16 and 17).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 13.jpg (277.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg photo 14.jpg (44.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo 15.jpg (269.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo 16.jpg (335.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg photo 17.jpg (232.5 KB, 10 views)
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 22:39   #16
volvojj

Default Re-attaching the grille and re-installing the cowl/panel

I have decided to re-attach the grille on the cowl/panel using double sided duct tape (photos 18 and 19). I also managed to put one side of the grille under one of the plastics of the cowl (photo 20). I used the remaining tape to fix the smaller grille near the rotor as well as to fix the rotor cover (photo 21).

Afterwards I have reinstalled the cowl in the reverse order. It helps if someone can help you to hold the cowl on your opposite side. That way it’s easier to correctly connect it to the clips. Unfortunately after attaching the two end screws I lost a lot of time trying to attach the middle bolt. After more than half an hour I gave up and used another bolt with wider thread (photo 22).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 18.jpg (118.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg photo 19.jpg (270.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg photo 20.jpg (116.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg photo 21.jpg (90.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg photo 22.jpg (76.1 KB, 11 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to volvojj For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 12:56   #17
bob12
bob12

Glad you fixed it. While you are there don't forget to make sure that the 2 rubber drains seen low down on the bulkhead each side in the engine bay are not blocked. You can make sure they are clear by poking something up them! Sorry not a very good photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 745 Drain B.jpg (205.2 KB, 14 views)
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 13:43   #18
mister grimsdale

Emboldened by this account, I took the opportunity to do mine today whilst the windscreen was being replaced (got too close to a lorry carrying a digger on the M1 and got a sodding great stone chip right in the driver's eyeline). Getting the cowl off was trouble free -- a bit reluctant to unstick on one side, but a bit of wiggling was all that was needed. Whilst I was at it I took all the windscreen trims off as well and only broke two of the clips, which felt like a win. The wiper arms also came free without hassle.
One minor thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that the rubber boots under the wiper arms have a slot that locates over a peg lower down on the casing. When I tried to pull the first one off, I had the uncomfortable feeling of pulling against a spring, and the boot tore slightly as it came off. On the second one I used a small screwdriver to stretch it over the peg. The torn one is still perfectly serviceable, but I repaired it with a drop of superglue anyway.
As per Forrest's suggestion, I'll use Tiger Seal to reattach the grille. It's previously been held by cable ties, but they do get brittle and fail in a few years.

Now, in spite of good advice against doing so, I removed the weatherstrip along the rear edge of the cowl (the one that sits against the windscreen). It came off really easily, but it is indeed proving to be a pig to get it back on. Anyone got a good trick for this? Perhaps something creative with string...
mister grimsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mister grimsdale For This Useful Post: