Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Failed mot please help

Views : 2572

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2022, 10:32   #11
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
As Neil said it's hard to imagine how a bulb-less headlight held securely with 2 bolts and 2 screws has somehow gone out of adjustment all by itself unless the headlights were never set right and it's been ignored at service time ever since,

The wipers could hold a clue here, have a look at them, if there are no splits or rubber deterioration and they clear the screen fine then it's starting to look like Volvo dealer has primed you for some additional work thinking you were going to them for an MOT, sinister but not unheard of,

Also this ball joint should've been remarked on when they serviced it, they generally show signs of wear/cracking/perishing before they split so spin both ways left to right your front wheel on the side it's failed and see if you can see any of the joints with a black rubber cushion with any grease coming from it to determine if it has actually split or whether Kwik Fit are looking for work or not.
Thank you, yeah I'll go out and check the car.

No the wipers definitely need replacing. It's being caused by a faulty steering wheel module I haven't bothered to replace yet as all it does is set the wipers off every now and again even in full sun.

I have never had a car with so many issues tbh other than this 2016 S90 with just 55,000 on the clock. Faulty steering wheel module, faulty starter motor which cost me loads to fix, faulty steering wheel lock which wasn't cheap either, broken coil spring and now this. Only had the car just over a year. No warranty unfortunately.

Maybe it's the way I drive and having 20 inch feels probably don't help either. I wouldn't say I am a fast driver, maybe take speed humps bit too fast but nothing out of the norm

Car has full service history too with most of not all having been done at Volvo.

Last edited by ThomasC91; Jul 14th, 2022 at 10:35.
ThomasC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 10:48   #12
SnineT
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC91 View Post
Thank you, yeah I'll go out and check the car.

No the wipers definitely need replacing. It's being caused by a faulty steering wheel module I haven't bothered to replace yet as all it does is set the wipers off every now and again even in full sun.

I have never had a car with so many issues tbh other than this 2016 S90 with just 55,000 on the clock. Faulty steering wheel module, faulty starter motor which cost me loads to fix, faulty steering wheel lock which wasn't cheap either, broken coil spring and now this. Only had the car just over a year. No warranty unfortunately.

Maybe it's the way I drive and having 20 inch feels probably don't help either. I wouldn't say I am a fast driver, maybe take speed humps bit too fast but nothing out of the norm

Car has full service history too with most of not all having been done at Volvo.

I don't think main dealers servicing holds as much kudos these days tbh,

The problem with second hand cars is you never really know the history of the car, the ball joint shouldn't have failed this early unless it's been sat around too long and the lack of use has caused the rubber to go hard and then split once the car was active again, electrical things are likely to happen from day one on any car however you do appear to have a chain of related events with this one,

Let us know what you get quoted to do the ball joint later.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 15:44   #13
ThomasC91

£163 Kwik fit are quoting, said they can't get part from their suppliers so had to get it from Volvo.

I haven't said yes yet said I'll let them know tomorrow
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 15:55   #14
ThomasC91

Does anyone know what parts I would need to buy for this?

It's S90 2016 inscription.

Wondering whether it would be cost effective for me to find someone to do it baring in mind I'd have to pay for another mot and also already paid £30 for my current one?

What would you do?

This is whether there's actually wrong with it in the first place
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 15:57   #15
SnineT
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC91 View Post
£163 Kwik fit are quoting, said they can't get part from their suppliers so had to get it from Volvo.

I haven't said yes yet said I'll let them know tomorrow

Sounds about right especially with a genuine part,

Now here's how to go about it, ring a Volvo dealer and find out how much the part is, this will show the labour rate Kwik Fit are working to,

Then ask Kwik Fit about the headlight adjustment and are they going to throw it in foc if you have the ball joint done by them,

One way to check the lights yourself is to find a darkened wall (carpark) and pull up about ten feet from the wall, do the beams look level and are they within an imaginary area that can compare to your side of the road as if you were driving at night, they should be lower than the bonnet but not heading down radically or pointing over to the other side of the road.
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 16:05   #16
SnineT
Premier Member

Just had a look and if it's a normal ball joint only it's around £20 for the part, however if it's built into an arm it's more like £100 for the part,

PM Clan he might have more knowledge of it, I hadn't started my voyage of exploration underneath the car so they're still a bit of an unknown to me.
Old Jul 15th, 2022, 15:29   #17
ThomasC91

I don't see any splits;

Are there suppose to be two, an upper and a lower cuz on MOT it just says split upper ball joint cover.

Thanks

I'm going to jack the car when my dad gets home and take the wheel off to properly see but I'm not convinced it's split
Old Jul 15th, 2022, 15:32   #18
ThomasC91

Last edited by ThomasC91; Jul 15th, 2022 at 15:40.
Old Jul 15th, 2022, 15:40   #19
SnineT
Premier Member

I just had a look at some ebay legs and I think the one you are looking for is the wishbone type one that's in front of the spring, the joint or rubber will be the middle one so you should be able to see it over the top of the tyre, having said that it might not show a split until the spring is extended with the wheel off the ground,

If you're still lost look at the main alloy leg going up from the bottom ball you pictured in pic 1 and when you get to the top of the curve towards you your culprit should be visible.

Look top left corner in your last picture.

Last edited by SnineT; Jul 15th, 2022 at 15:48.
Old Jul 15th, 2022, 15:55   #20
SnineT
Premier Member

None genuine one is about £80 so I'd let Kwik Fit do it unless you are competent, it's an all in one C shaped arm so I don't think you can part the joint from the arm,

Google this,

S90 Upper track control arm or this SIDEM 67573 Suspension arm