Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AAOS - 2.10 is coming

Views : 5057

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2023, 23:43   #11
BrettEverett

I can’t for the life of me figure out where to set up scheduled charging. Looked in app, in car and user manual and nothing. Starting to think I’ve either gone blind or it’s not available for my car…
BrettEverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 07:45   #12
CocoPops
VOC Member

Here you go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1907.jpg (37.7 KB, 47 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to CocoPops For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 09:28   #13
Kourou

It didn't appear for me yesterday either, and I put it down to the fact that the software update claimed it was only for MY2022.5 cars (it specficially didn't say 2022.5 and later).

However that was fortunately nonsense as it appears for me today 😁

[by the way this feature was added about 6 months ago, appeared in the app and was then withdrawn again within a day or two]

Now it is possible to use a public charger with cheap overnight rates, or to use an overnight EVt ariff without getting up in the middle of the night, just like the owners of almost every other EV on the road. Slow handicap for Volvo adding an essential feature finally. Hooray.

Location also *may* have fixed itself, or may be ntermittent, not sure yet.

One day soon AAOS and the app will have feature parity with Sensus cars c. 2018,. Could be a while though at current rate of progress (since November 2 Sensus features have been added, location and scheduled charging, still waiting for really simple things e.g. seeing mileage in app 😂 and Android Auto (yes there is a use case, and it will be available for EX cars)).

I mean the odometer value is there in their very flakey and (almost) inaccessible API, albeit in km and inexplicably divided by 10. It would lbe ess than trivial to print it on a page in the app as they do for Sensus cars. That would have saved me going out to the car in the puring rain yesterday to get the mileage for an insurance quote.

At that point we can refocus on being disappointed that the new EX cars have been launched with the souped up AAOS we can see in the launch videos, while we are stuck on AAOS 0.1beta,. I bought into getting a car with AAOS because it had the power to continuously upgrade/improve the car we have purchased (just as we see with other devices now), and the potential is enormous. Sadly I now very much doubt we will see that, or that Volvo even vaguely comprehend what is possible. It seems their investment in developers working on curent rather than EX AAOS is at a bare minimum. I suspect it may even have been close to zero for a few months. One, maybe two? Full-time? Who knows.

And before anyone suggests that the EX cars will have better infotainment hardware, so our cars won't support the newer AAOS, no. Volvo sold £80k cars and could easily have put faster processors, more memory onboard to future proof them. Hopefully they have in which case there is no excuse, but my guess is they didn't. In any case everything I've seen on EX cars looks doable on current XCs, bar the hardware upgrades such as Lidar etc. yet still I doubt we'll even see the UI improvments.

See you in 6 months for another post on a Sensus feature being added that should have been there when we bought the car 👋

Previously: XC40 T4 Momentum MY19, V90 D4 Momentum MY19, XC60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav MY13
Kourou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 10:11   #14
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

I don't know an EV owner that uses the car to schedule charge, it's all in the EV wall point and its app, I'm surprised so many are pleased of this introduction and plan to use it.

Is it because you don't have an EV charge point at home and are using the 240v cable?

The feature they really need to add is to enable 3rd party API access so you can use stuff like Intelligent Agile without needing a specific charger.

Last edited by sandys; Jul 5th, 2023 at 10:13.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 10:31   #15
BrettEverett

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoPops View Post
Here you go.
Thanks.

Nothing there either so I'm guessing mine doesn't support it for some reason. My understanding was that if my car doesn't support the feature then it wouldn't have come up on the release notes of the update. Tough I guess...
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 12:46   #16
MG14

Just updated mine. Mine’s not a plug-in so the only change is the centre map and it’s not an improvement. The position is now centred but I don’t see the point as you need to be able to look ahead on a map, surely? You now have less of the route visible and more of what’s passed on show. It’s like, in flying, having runway behind you - pointless!
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 17:24   #17
Kourou

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
I don't know an EV owner that uses the car to schedule charge, it's all in the EV wall point and its app, I'm surprised so many are pleased of this introduction and plan to use it.

Is it because you don't have an EV charge point at home and are using the 240v cable?

The feature they really need to add is to enable 3rd party API access so you can use stuff like Intelligent Agile without needing a specific charger.
Agree 100% on the API access, lots of people could solve a lot of problems themselves and take the pressure off if they actually provided access.

My suspicion is that they feel it is not ready yet (it is a bit flaky and is still changing) but I fear they are letting the perfect be the enemy of the good (especially as those using the API are those most able to accept and work around such issues).

For scheduling, many don't have smart chargers (in-laws for example, who schedule charging in their ID3, so feels a bit rude to charge there), and yes many hybrid owners like us use 3-pin as a charger at c. £1000 cannot really be cost-justified for a hybrid battery than can be filled on a 3 pin during the Go/Intelligent/Flux slots (this is more of an issue now that the government grants are no longer available). Yes you can use an adapter with remote control or a timer, but given this is advised against by Volvo, some fear it is a warranty risk.

Then there's my brothers street in London where charging on some of the lamp posts is a rip-off except during the middle of the night. The car has to be able to schedule to use that, so we've never been able to charge there either.

Personally we control the socket at home using Home Assistant, but that's of no use when travelling, and the same applies to those who are lucky enough to have a smart charger when they are away from home.

All in all its a fundamental EV feature for many, not one that should be an afterthought, even if some don't often need it.

Previously: XC40 T4 Momentum MY19, V90 D4 Momentum MY19, XC60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav MY13
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 15:13   #18
neilgorin

Having had this car with AAOS rather than Sensus for a month, the thing that irritates me the most (and there are few things to be honest) is that the left/right arrows don't switch between cruise and limiter.

My car doesn't have adaptive cruise or pilot assist, yet on a long journey yesterday I started off city driving where I wanted a limiter, then did 200 miles on motorway standard roads where I wanted cruise and then finished the day wanting the limiter again as I was on non dual roads with way too many cameras.

That and the lack of a bong noise for speed cameras - a very odd thing to not include given even the old sensus version with the four knobs in the previous generation cars had that.
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 16:21   #19
Kourou

Yep, and until a day or two ago, we couldn't even switch between Pilot Assist and (the rather cryptic for many people) ACC.

When I saw that was being added I assumed it would include the ability to switch between those and speed limiting (for exactly the same reason as you), but no.

Tbh I mainly use Pilot Assist or nothing so the new feature is relatively pointless.

Really makes you wonder whether the people working on this stuff actually drive the cars.

On the plus side I've noticed a couple if API endpoints have been fixed over the last day or two - hopefully this signals renewed interest in working on various problems, Sensus feature parity and and you never know, improvements!

Old Jul 6th, 2023, 20:49   #20
BrettEverett

I get a “Propulsion system failure, service required” message every time I start the car up, and spoke to Volvo Assist and the chap said it’s probably an issue caused by the software update so will need to go in the dealership for a reinstall. Just thought I’d share in case anyone else ends up getting the same warning.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrettEverett For This Useful Post: