Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knocking/clunking noise front n/s v70

Views : 1337

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2019, 21:03   #11
R-P
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattten View Post
On my S80 2.4l 2002 i jacked the car up at each corner and placed a 8 inch garden hose around the spring as far down as possible . Secured it with zip ties. I cut a 8inch part of the hose and the cut it along its lengt to alide it on to the spring.

So you have an 8" length of hose and you cut it open length wise? And then you fold it open and slide it over the spring and then the spring-coil is INSIDE the hose and then make sure the hose sits as low as possible around the spring, right? What should this solve? Could the sound come from the lower part of the spring compressing so much it touches itself?

Ordered more parts to get rid of my clonk after already replacing the engine mounts. But haven't fitted them yet...

Quote:
It is kinda comon for the P2 cars to have clunks without anything wrong.
Both comfoting and disturbing at the same time...

Last edited by R-P; Feb 9th, 2019 at 21:10.
R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 15:53   #12
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
On my S80 2.4l 2002 i jacked the car up at each corner and placed a 8 inch garden hose around the spring as far down as possible . Secured it with zip ties. It is kinda comon for the P2 cars to have clunks without anything wrong. There are volvo parts to put on the springs but garden hose works and is more or less a free way to diagnose. I cut a 8inch part of the hose and the cut it along its lengt to alide it on to the spring.
can you post some pictures of this mod? im not shure what this mod could do to stop clunk noise I am prepared to be educated
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 16:06   #13
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Clearly something is worn. If there's clunking then there's something to find. Thinking about our P2s, over the time we've had them I've had every suspension component bar top mount replaced (in total, not every single one, I'm pleased to say!).

As said, an experienced mechanic with a pry bar is your friend (my S60 passed its MOT without advisory yet needed terminally worn lower ball joints replaced a few weeks later, for instance)
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2019, 21:32   #14
Kattten

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-P View Post
So you have an 8" length of hose and you cut it open length wise? And then you fold it open and slide it over the spring and then the spring-coil is INSIDE the hose and then make sure the hose sits as low as possible around the spring, right? What should this solve? Could the sound come from the lower part of the spring compressing so much it touches itself?

Ordered more parts to get rid of my clonk after already replacing the engine mounts. But haven't fitted them yet...

Both comfoting and disturbing at the same time...

Correct , not sure exactly what is causing the clonk but the hoses removed my clonks. I have read on many Swedish forums regarding this. Attached is an image of the oem part that the hose can mimic.

Will try to get a picture of mine when I have the car jacked up next time.

Translated from a Swedish forum:
can be such that it is enough to mount spring insulators on the lower lap of the spring, I myself had a clonking sound, but nothing loose in the front, cost 150sek. I mounted on these myself.

Drove the car freely from noise since then
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8035658D-8464-44D6-9E88-C3F342B596BD.jpg (29.4 KB, 32 views)
Kattten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kattten For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 15:06   #15
shezza250

Hi all, I've had the pry bar out and no ball joints or bushings appear to have any play in them at all.
Since the garage replaced the cv joint & anti roll bar links, the problem seems to have got even worse. I've been driving it around for the past few days and now every bump is clunking/knocking really loud.
I decided to take it back to the garage & as soon as the mechanic (a fairly solid bloke) got in the passenger seat, the problem pretty much vanished. Does this mean anything to anyone that it gets better when weight is added on the affected side?
The mechanic seems to reckon it could be shock absorber or top mount as some on here have already suggested but advised it won't be a cheap job to replace the shock & top mount.
I don't want to throw more money at the problem without being sure of the cause.
This is driving me mad!
Any more input would be much appreciated.
Thanks
shezza250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 18:43   #16
bkulcsar

Default ARB bushes worn

Your ARB bushes may be worn, and the droplinks may be hitting the wishbones, as oragex explained here.

Other reason and fix
Old Jun 26th, 2024, 22:59   #17
Pietro2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezza250 View Post
Hi all, I've had the pry bar out and no ball joints or bushings appear to have any play in them at all.
Since the garage replaced the cv joint & anti roll bar links, the problem seems to have got even worse. I've been driving it around for the past few days and now every bump is clunking/knocking really loud.
I decided to take it back to the garage & as soon as the mechanic (a fairly solid bloke) got in the passenger seat, the problem pretty much vanished. Does this mean anything to anyone that it gets better when weight is added on the affected side?
The mechanic seems to reckon it could be shock absorber or top mount as some on here have already suggested but advised it won't be a cheap job to replace the shock & top mount.
I don't want to throw more money at the problem without being sure of the cause.
This is driving me mad!
Any more input would be much appreciated.
Thanks
On the chance that you are still 'tuned in' (5 years on), did you get an answer on what was going on? Mine sounds very much yours.

Cheers.
Pietro2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2024, 00:00   #18
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro2003 View Post
On the chance that you are still 'tuned in' (5 years on), did you get an answer on what was going on? Mine sounds very much yours.

Cheers.
Test the suspension for any play.

if it sounds like its coming from the top of the shock near the windscreen, its likely a worn top mount. If you hear a metallic "ping" noise turning the steering, that could be a broken spring.
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 07:54   #19
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile drop links can def make those kind of knocking noises

i would try removing one drop link (go for the side you think the noise is coming from.. ) then you might feel any slop or loose ness in any of the joints.. pry bars sometime dont reveal this as it only needs a small amount of movement to make a clonking
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2024, 09:37   #20
stuart bowes
just trying to be helpful

drop link clonks can sometimes be identified by simply rocking the car from side to side

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote