Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cup Holder removal

Views : 8369

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 01:58   #11
D5 Monkey
Gone and forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm295 View Post
WOW.....Thanks, Ill pop out at lunch time......watch this space.
Any good?

My Photos on Flickr
D5 Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 09:00   #12
mjm295

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5 _Monkey View Post
Any good?
I had a very quick go last night, and got the ratchet to work, but when I pushed the cup holder back in and out, it was bust again. I was in my work shirt and trousers and its a bit greasy under there, so I'll try again tomorrow.

Cheers

Mark

and

Robin Hood Sub K - 1.8 OHC
www.coventrykitcar.co.uk
mjm295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 15:44   #13
wheelnut

I took my cup holder out and got the ratchet to work, but only if I was holding the cup holder unit upside down. As I felt this was only of fairly limited use, I dismantled it again but put a small washer under the screw which retains the small spring which creates the ratchet. This keeps the spring in contact with the rachet and solves the problem.
Reassembled and it now works when the car is still on its wheels. This ought to be a bit more use!
wheelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 14:39   #14
DaveMitch

Help!!!
Made the tool ( from a trampoline spring puller !!) to remove the cup holder as per 'pdf' in earlier post BUT, although I seem to get the thing loose it still doesnt want to come out , am I missing something? Havent removed any additional dash facia...should I be doing this? Dont want to go to mad a break something ( which it feels like I,m close to doing).Am inserting the tool into the bottom clip & turning; the cup holder then becomes 'free' but seems to be holding on something to the bottom left . There are a couple of 'hints' in the pdf instructions which are not clear to me .......sorry for being stupid !!!
Thanks in advance
Dave
DaveMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 19:29   #15
D5 Monkey
Gone and forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMitch View Post
Help!!!
Made the tool ( from a trampoline spring puller !!) to remove the cup holder as per 'pdf' in earlier post BUT, although I seem to get the thing loose it still doesnt want to come out , am I missing something? Havent removed any additional dash facia...should I be doing this? Dont want to go to mad a break something ( which it feels like I,m close to doing).Am inserting the tool into the bottom clip & turning; the cup holder then becomes 'free' but seems to be holding on something to the bottom left . There are a couple of 'hints' in the pdf instructions which are not clear to me .......sorry for being stupid !!!
Thanks in advance
Dave
Yeah, there is a lug on the cup holder assembly that goes down behing the aircon control, exactly where you say it is sticking. It was broken off on mine so I didn't need to worry but I guess that the best way to get it out if it won't tilt forward from the top (even though the instructions don't say so) is to work up from the bottom;

remove pen holder (unclip) - remove but do not disconnect aircon control (unscrew 2 screws at bottom and writh about until it finally comes out. The cup holder should fall out then if you already have it uncliped.

My Photos on Flickr
D5 Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 14:35   #16
Wirralguy

Big thanks to D5-Monkey and Bob for the excellent instructions - it didn't help me as the spring had gone and, despite various attempts with paper-clips, peg springs and other assorted pieces of spring steel I couldn't repair it but still a great set of instructions to remove, dismantle and re-mantle (sic!) without damage to cup-holder or dash!

As an addendum, I used a flat blade screwdriver to reach and lift the bottom clip - it worked fine once I located it in the right place.

Oh, and also phoned a stealer for a new one but at £44 +vat it can stay broken :-)
Wirralguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 18:33   #17
johnS60

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5 _Monkey View Post
The ratchet on the cup grip on mine had been broken since I got the car and I finally got round to removing the cup holder and fixing it yesterday. Will post with full details/pictures later on (if work is quiet and I have time to write it up!) but basically I needn't have removed the holder as the ratchet assembly is accessible from underneath with the cup holder in the open position. Basically there is a small spring, the end of which runs in a tiny notched track. All that was wrong with mine was that the spring was slightly loose and had popped out of the track, a quick fiddle and working again fine.
All that's needed is small fingers!

Not saying this is always the cure but has worked for me.
I've come across this method before and it worked for me!
johnS60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 17:32   #18
jonlast88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi,

Haven’t taken the holder out myself. But check attachment as to how Volvo recommends it is done!
I reckon the tool can be made from my favourite tool the wire coat hanger!

Hope it helps?
BobS
HHi guys,

I can't get any of the pdfs to work. can someone PM me a guide?

Thanks in advance from a newbie to the forum
jonlast88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 08:09   #19
NightOwl07

Hi guys,

Proud owner of a 16 year old V40 here. Unfortunately couldn't see any of the pdf files, would someone be able to re post?

Thanks!
NightOwl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 09:18   #20
Simon Jones
Premier Member

You'd probably find the V40 cupholder is significantly different to V70 so you may be better off searching out the appropriate instructions.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote