Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Owner

Views : 3121

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2017, 17:49   #11
lynns hubby
Master Member

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the bubbling sound behind the dash sounds to me like a head gasket failure. Cylinder compression is getting past the blown gasket and into the cooling system which you are hearing through the heater matrix. That could also tie in with the engine rocking on its mountings if it is down on one cylinder and only idling / running on 3 cyls.
Check the top hose when its at normal temp. You should be able to squish it slightly, but if its really firm that's the engine compression pressuring up the cooling system.
Remove the plugs and check for wet/rust on one of them.
Hope I am wrong and its something simple like a blocked rad.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 21:29   #12
coolpurks

Thank you for this really helpful! Too it out for a drive today got it up to temp. Top rad pipe was not rock hard but was very hot (I assume this is fine!) and pulled the plugs from cylinder 1&2 I have attached photos- the uncorroded one is cylinder 1 and the slightly rusty one is cylinder 2. The third photo also shows the end of the plug which looks a little corroded- what do you think? Didn't bother pulling 3&4 as the ends of them looked fine.

You can see from third photo how much oil it leaks!!

Reading around on the forums I was thinking at least the speedo works well- well that failed on me today!! So far definitely a different experience to my type r which never goes wrong (although it is 7 years newer to be fair) but still enjoying it ATM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9269.jpg (117.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9265.jpg (110.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9272.jpg (99.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by coolpurks; Jun 13th, 2017 at 21:32.
coolpurks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coolpurks For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 21:58   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The breathers are definitely blocked and good do with a good clean out! That will improve economy, power and emissions and the general running.

It could be that because your breathers are blocked the Jetronic system is over-compensating and making the mixture lean which would also cause the suddenly high engine temperature.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 23:30   #14
coolpurks

Great thanks look like I'll hold fire on the HG for now then!
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 23:55   #15
volvo always
Premier Member

Certainly found my 1996 940 LPT auto with 183,700 miles neglected but it was only £250 to buy and it made it on holiday the 350 miles to the west coast of Ireland with no issues.

So far in 12 days driven over 700 miles, so probably 1000 miles by the time I return in 4 days time.

I have done a lot of work to it mostly cooling and exhaust and servicing. I also thought I had HG failure as cooling system pressurising but tested ok.

The rad was leaking and fitted a new nissens one. The coolant was very dirty so flushed several times and replaced nearly all the coolant hoses. Had new front discs and pads fitted, cambelt and tensioner, water pump, thermostat and drive belts, auto gearbox fluid change. Rear disks and pads still to do. New battery.
Replaced the downpipe and cat with BM make which was cheap. £55 for the cat and £32 for the downpipe. Fitting £180 as studs broke! Found a grey load cover and boot liner and door cards that were non wrinkled so very pleased.

Trying to get the AC working.

Very comfy and I love it being an auto like my 1989 240GLT. Certainly seems quite good on fuel. At least once it's up to a standard then basic service/ maintenance. So far with buying and parts/ labour around £1200 it's cost.
Hope to keep it for many, many years. Had the 240 for 8 years and still going strong.
Cost me £350 to buy and has been easier to work on but to be expected as non turbo and simple B230E K jet mechanical fuel injection and bolts seem to undo fine on it!

James

Last edited by volvo always; Jun 14th, 2017 at 00:18.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 00:16   #16
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpurks View Post
Thank you for this really helpful! Too it out for a drive today got it up to temp. Top rad pipe was not rock hard but was very hot (I assume this is fine!) and pulled the plugs from cylinder 1&2 I have attached photos- the uncorroded one is cylinder 1 and the slightly rusty one is cylinder 2. The third photo also shows the end of the plug which looks a little corroded- what do you think? Didn't bother pulling 3&4 as the ends of them looked fine.

You can see from third photo how much oil it leaks!!

Reading around on the forums I was thinking at least the speedo works well- well that failed on me today!! So far definitely a different experience to my type r which never goes wrong (although it is 7 years newer to be fair) but still enjoying it ATM.
As you have said, give it a full service and change the pump, thermostat and see what happens. If rad is original then change it. My nissens for my auto was £108 all off ebay.
It doesn't sound like HG failure from the top rad hose but see if the misfire from cold happens still after a service. Clean your Idle air control valve, presume a 940 turbo has one? Once up to scratch it should be reliable.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 10:17   #17
lynns hubby
Master Member

That first photo of the plug looks a bit worrying. You could try buying one of them test kits for the coolant from fleabay or if you have a friendly garage see what they will charge for a sniff test of the coolant.
At least go down the easy routes first. Breather clean etc.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 16:29   #18
coolpurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Certainly found my 1996 940 LPT auto with 183,700 miles neglected but it was only £250 to buy and it made it on holiday the 350 miles to the west coast of Ireland with no issues.

So far in 12 days driven over 700 miles, so probably 1000 miles by the time I return in 4 days time.

I have done a lot of work to it mostly cooling and exhaust and servicing. I also thought I had HG failure as cooling system pressurising but tested ok.

The rad was leaking and fitted a new nissens one. The coolant was very dirty so flushed several times and replaced nearly all the coolant hoses. Had new front discs and pads fitted, cambelt and tensioner, water pump, thermostat and drive belts, auto gearbox fluid change. Rear disks and pads still to do. New battery.
Replaced the downpipe and cat with BM make which was cheap. £55 for the cat and £32 for the downpipe. Fitting £180 as studs broke! Found a grey load cover and boot liner and door cards that were non wrinkled so very pleased.

Trying to get the AC working.

Very comfy and I love it being an auto like my 1989 240GLT. Certainly seems quite good on fuel. At least once it's up to a standard then basic service/ maintenance. So far with buying and parts/ labour around £1200 it's cost.
Hope to keep it for many, many years. Had the 240 for 8 years and still going strong.
Cost me £350 to buy and has been easier to work on but to be expected as non turbo and simple B230E K jet mechanical fuel injection and bolts seem to undo fine on it!

James
That's interesting- yes it does feel quite weird buying a car and then having to spend a few hundred getting it up to scratch as that's going to be my experience too but actually to have a solid volvo estate with 100k on the clock and not much else wrong with it (hopefully!!) for £1300 isn't too bad really!
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 16:31   #19
coolpurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post
That first photo of the plug looks a bit worrying. You could try buying one of them test kits for the coolant from fleabay or if you have a friendly garage see what they will charge for a sniff test of the coolant.
At least go down the easy routes first. Breather clean etc.
OK, thanks- I will get the garage to check it when I take it in- and if it's gone will get them to replace the head gasket too as might save on a bit of labour doing it all at the same time!
Old Jun 15th, 2017, 18:04   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpurks View Post
OK, thanks- I will get the garage to check it when I take it in- and if it's gone will get them to replace the head gasket too as might save on a bit of labour doing it all at the same time!
Looking at those plugs again i would do at least one of two things, if not both. First a compression check to ensure the cylinders have (relatively) even compression figures which will also help indicate a head gasket fault if present and second i would add some injector cleaner to the fuel tank and consider having the injectors cleaned and flow tested.
Either way i would renew the plugs ASAP and keep an eye on their colour/condition.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:

Tags
new owner, temperature gasket, turbo, volvo 940