Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front Wishbone (front) bush replacement?

Views : 13446

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 10th, 2011, 11:10   #11
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Here are the Volvo instructions on how to do the job inculding what to do with the drive shafts:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attach...5&d=1256576332
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 11:24   #12
fungus

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=60501

See above for piccies and how to.

I tried his bush removal method I twisted the old bush about 180 degrees and it wasn't going to give in more likely to throw me across the shed!

As for alignment...the inside of the polybush is profiled so when the pin is inserted in will locate itself to the correct position, very obvoius when pressing it in.
After the bush and pin is inserted into the wishbone correct location is again obvious as the polybush lips secure over the ends of the wishbone.
The pin can rotate within the polybush (it should do). Just ensue it is refitted as it was removed ie correct side facing the subframe. Make notes of orientation before removing old bush. Sounds harder than it is.

Re driveshaft. Undo and remove driveshaft bolt and knock back the shaft back into the hub with a drift, so when the hub is move to allow removal of the wishbone the shaft is not under tension. I did not secure the shaft just held it towards the gearbox when i was removing the wishbone. It wouldn't hurt to tie some string from the outer cv joint to some anchor nearer the centre of the car as a precaution.
Pretreat the nuts and bolts with wd40 beforehand to make it that little bit easier.

Trust me it is easier than it sounds!
Past: V40 2.0T Sport Lux Auto 2003 171K
Past: 340DL
fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fungus For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 21:02   #13
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Thanks guys!

Some really useful info, thank you so much.

Interesting that there is some strap tool shown in the 'how to'.

Just checking which bolts need replacing, it seems that the one that secures the end of the driveshafts does, do you think its OK to re use the ones for the front bush (x2) each side that come thru the subframe ?

Is the wishbone hub/balljoint end easy to get off ? and does this nut need replacing also?

Am i right in thinking that with the new powerflex bush, you first fit the poly part and then drive the round centre bar through it?, seems from the description like it can be rotated once in ? or is it a much tighter fit than that?

Sorry for all the Qs, !
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 21:47   #14
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post

Just checking which bolts need replacing, it seems that the one that secures the end of the driveshafts does, do you think its OK to re use the ones for the front bush (x2) each side that come thru the subframe ?

Is the wishbone hub/balljoint end easy to get off ? and does this nut need replacing also?

Am i right in thinking that with the new powerflex bush, you first fit the poly part and then drive the round centre bar through it?, seems from the description like it can be rotated once in ? or is it a much tighter fit than that?

Sorry for all the Qs, !
Loads of photos as you go Ben!

Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 01:08   #15
fungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post

Don't need it at all, only of any use for a ball jount change only.

The drive shaft bolts are stretch bolts and should be replaced or at the very least use tread lock when refitting as i did. The other bolts can be reused.

Have known the tork head for the counter hold to give way resulting in a new ball joint, pretreat with wd40 clean the area and tap the tork tool in before undoing.

Yup, I fitted the polybush first the pressed in the pin, the pin can be rotated with a lever i.e. screwdriver once in.Sorry for all the Qs, !

Hope this helps
Past: V40 2.0T Sport Lux Auto 2003 171K
Past: 340DL
fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fungus For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 09:11   #16
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Experiences of powerflex bushes?

Would be interested to know others experience of the differences after fitting powerflex bushes, PFF88-601 is their P/N for the S60/V70 i think. What differences do you notice on uneven road surfaces or vibration when say acellerating or braking ?

Is the poly bush hard to drive into the arm?, according to powerflex you should insert the middle pin first, and then drive the bush in, the pin can be rotated once fitted (unlike the original bush where it is all moulded together and needs to be installed at the correct angle it would appear).
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 14:48   #17
CherryB

Hi there. I spent 3 hours trying to fit the powerflex bush to an arm last week only to find that the pff88-601 is designed for oil filled bush repacement only
My metal centres are solid straight bar type with no waisting in the centre.
Can anyone tell me the diamter of the centre swage and the length of the waisting so that i can get them machined down?

Many many thankyou's to anyone who can help......

Hope this helps others and sorry for the tangent on this thread..
CherryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 16:24   #18
Thassos
GoldMember

Arrow Different styles of bush ?

Hi Cherry,

Interesting to hear, talking to powerflex last week they said that some manufacturers original bushes have voids in them (im not sure if you can see these) or whether they are hollow/hidden sections within the bush that give more flex in one direction only. Someone else mentioned that volvo had changed the bush style during the history of the S60/V70. I hadnt heard of oil filled bushes but maybe this is what the voids are filled with, I wonder if the original bushes were solid and later ones with voids for reduced vibration. Could it be the original bush splits and the oil comes out? Makes me wonder if the gap (in the vertical sense) is where these voids are (see original pic i posted) would be interested to hear if anyone knows if there are different versions for earlier cars? Has anyone got a low mileage car where the bush looks 'solid'.
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 17:50   #19
CherryB

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=60501

In the link, there are piccies of the oil bush and the waisted area of the metal centre. The powerflex bush has extra material to go in to these areas, thus giving it the correct torsion.
I have an early p2 v70, which, on consulting with volvo, do not come with oil filled bushes.The metal shaft is one thickness along where it comes into contact with the bush.The bush looks the same for both types, just the bar that is different.
I need some measurements to create the correct bar to go with the powerflex bush.
The original bushes in mine were volvo gen parts.
CherryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 21:16   #20
Thassos
GoldMember

Question help with this question (link below)

If youve had the wishbones off can you help with this question:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=117704
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:

Tags
bush, front, suspension, wishbone