Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Road Signs: Time to change to Metric?

Views : 35309

Replies : 362

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Should road signs be update to metric units?
Yes 79 27.82%
No 205 72.18%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 25th, 2015, 10:28   #231
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Is there not a case for remaining individuals with the ability to use both? Why the need to make things easy? I can and do work in both systems with no problem, could it be that the mental calculations keep me more alert and focused on the job.
In the general dumbing down rush to the bottom cannot we be a beacon of hope for those capable of working things out for themselves.
25.4mm= 1"
39"=1m
Fractions if inches 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/16 1/32 1/64 etc or thousandths are easy enough to use and .000" are a lot easier to read on a venier gauge than the metric scale, micrometers makes no odds, its a reading.

I listened to a radio debate some time ago on this subject and the protagonists had to agree that the base 12 imperial system was far more versatile than the base 10 metric system and no more difficult to use once learned. The only thing going for the metric system was more used it. Which brings me back to my first point.

Paul.

Some south east asian cultures do use the 12 numeric system and it is indeed very practical for everyday life. However, it would be impossible to apply in science yet again. I see the imperial system as part of the culture of the UK, and I have embraced it, use it on my daily life and have no problems converting either way. However, if I am to be honest, it is a lot more illogical to use than the much much simpler metric system.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 11:01   #232
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Some south east asian cultures do use the 12 numeric system and it is indeed very practical for everyday life. However, it would be impossible to apply in science yet again. I see the imperial system as part of the culture of the UK, and I have embraced it, use it on my daily life and have no problems converting either way. However, if I am to be honest, it is a lot more illogical to use than the much much simpler metric system.
If we did have a single imperial system that used one base then it might be easier, for length it is 12" to 1' then 3' to a yard, 22 yards to a chain, 10 chains in a furlong and 8 furlongs in a mile - where is the base 12 in this little lot?

And then for weight we have 16 ounces equal 1 pound, 14 pounds (lb) equal 1 stone, 8 st (or 112lb ) to 1 hundred weight (cwt) and 20 cwt equal 1 Ton.

Clearly all using Base 12? - somehow I think not (and I won't go into power where the numbers get really stupid)

shown like this our system doesn't make sense, and it didn't when I was at school - the metric system is so much more logical and much easier to use, luckily I had forward thinking teachers and a Scottish education system that allowed us to use MKS way back then when the English schools were still using imperial measurements
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 11:13   #233
gatos
Premier Member

lol. go figure out what the square root of 5' 2" & 5/16" is..... lol,

Nullius in Verba
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 13:04   #234
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Is there not a case for remaining individuals with the ability to use both? Why the need to make things easy? I can and do work in both systems with no problem, could it be that the mental calculations keep me more alert and focused on the job.
In the general dumbing down rush to the bottom cannot we be a beacon of hope for those capable of working things out for themselves.
25.4mm= 1"
39"=1m
Fractions if inches 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/16 1/32 1/64 etc or thousandths are easy enough to use and .000" are a lot easier to read on a venier gauge than the metric scale, micrometers makes no odds, its a reading.

I listened to a radio debate some time ago on this subject and the protagonists had to agree that the base 12 imperial system was far more versatile than the base 10 metric system and no more difficult to use once learned. The only thing going for the metric system was more used it. Which brings me back to my first point.

Paul.
I think Imperial measurements are fine for those who have been taught and brought up using it, but people like me (90's kid) were never taught the Imperial system and it's totally out of sync with everything we've been taught at school and brought up with. It should be standardised.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 13:34   #235
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Here's a compromise, lets all start to use base16! What do you mean you've never heard of it? Computers work by using hexadecimal. 0123456789ABCDEF
Seriously any system is easy if you've been brought up with it, so those of us old enough to have learnt imperial measures can do them and decimal because we learnt to count in base10.
Historically there have been cultures that used base12 which is logical when you consider that you have 3 joints on each of your 4 fingers

the biggest problem with imperial measures are as wimorrison says the arcane way in which different bases are used in even one system so 12inches=1foot, 3feet=1yard etc let alone the inconsistency between length, weight (16oz=1lb) and volume (8pint=1gal)

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 15:32   #236
gatos
Premier Member

The insanity of imperial measurements

Nullius in Verba
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 19:55   #237
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Can you please post a link to this picture please?

It is superb and I can think of many uses
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 21:28   #238
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Can you please post a link to this picture please?
Right click the image and copy the location....
Code:
http://www.whydoesitsuck.com/public/why-does-the-imperial-system-suck/english-length-units.png
Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2015, 21:45   #239
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Right click the image and copy the location....
Code:
http://www.whydoesitsuck.com/public/why-does-the-imperial-system-suck/english-length-units.png
Des. . .
Difficult on an iPad

Might that be why I asked for the URL?
Old Nov 26th, 2015, 12:44   #240
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Difficult on an iPad

Might that be why I asked for the URL?
I am actually wondering how many poppy seeds thick is your ipad?

Also, how many shackles is the wifi range?....

Nullius in Verba