Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Laird Scooby

Views : 1132

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2024, 20:10   #21
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Glad you're ok LS.

Personally I wouldn't touch a Honda with a bargepole now! I bought a 2013 Civic 1.6 d-tec about 8 months ago, and spent over £2k on it in 6 months before deciding enough is enough and I virtually gave it away as a part-ex against a one owner S40 2.4i.

DPF failure, front wheel bearing, rear wheel bearing, rear brake sensor wiring, central locking issues, near side window motor failures (both doors), DMF, and finally the steering rack needed replacing. Thats on a car with a full Honda service history. Everyone says i was unlucky, but wow, thats one heck of a Friday car

I've had the S40 two months now (its our daily as I don't want to risk the 850R or 940 in supermarket carparks!), and I've replaced the tyres and cambelt and thats it so far. It was a one lady owner car with a full Volvo service history and just 82k miles up.
Japanese diesel's aren't good. Their success was with petrol engines.

If you buy a Japanese car, petrol is your best bet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 20:21   #22
Rumbo
Time Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Glad you're ok LS.

Personally I wouldn't touch a Honda with a bargepole now! I bought a 2013 Civic 1.6 d-tec about 8 months ago, and spent over £2k on it in 6 months before deciding enough is enough and I virtually gave it away as a part-ex against a one owner S40 2.4i.

DPF failure, front wheel bearing, rear wheel bearing, rear brake sensor wiring, central locking issues, near side window motor failures (both doors), DMF, and finally the steering rack needed replacing. Thats on a car with a full Honda service history. Everyone says i was unlucky, but wow, thats one heck of a Friday car

I've had the S40 two months now (its our daily as I don't want to risk the 850R or 940 in supermarket carparks!), and I've replaced the tyres and cambelt and thats it so far. It was a one lady owner car with a full Volvo service history and just 82k miles up.
I think Honda have been made in America for years now,BMW in South Carolina for donkeys years…I’d definitely recommend a Mazda now,still made in Japan most of them.Had a 2014 Mazda 3 2.2 skyactiv.Worst diesel engine ever,they run beautifully but will f*ck up.I got rid of it sharpish when I started finding out.
Having said that the build quality on these newer Mazda’s is incredible,I couldn’t believe how well they are screwed together but that 2.2 diesel engine is used by Toyota too,ticking time bomb!
Like Scooby says,do not buy a Japanese diesel,or any diesel for that matter,dpf,failed regenerations,diesel filling the sumps etc.Apparently the best Jap diesel is the older Honda CTID if I’m not mistaken,not the newer ones.
After my 940 betrayed me I got a BMW X1 with the 2.0 litre N47 diesel engine.It blew up twice,yes you read that right,twice…The garage I got it from sold up before I could get it fixed so I lost about 7k,God that hurt.Then I got the Mazda 3 2.2 Skyactiv but got rid because the web is full of horror stories about this engine.
It was then I made my mind up firmly that I would never ever touch any diesel engine,petrol only,so I scour the local ads and it’s incredibly hard to find a decent well sorted petrol automobile,took me months!
I got the BMW 130i 3 door msport in black to hide the odd rust bubble near the wheel arch.N/A N52 engine producing 261 bhp with a light chassis,not too big not too small.
Now I’m pining for another 940 wagon,preferably in the gunmetal type silver my last one was,don’t like the light silver.I miss that M90 box and the whoosh of the intercooler.The supple ride and other cars generally gave you more room .
Happy days

Last edited by Rumbo; Jun 17th, 2024 at 20:27.
Rumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rumbo For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 20:30   #23
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbo View Post
I think Honda have been made in America for years now,BMW in South Carolina for donkeys years…I’d definitely recommend a Mazda now,still made in Japan most of them.Had a 2014 Mazda 3 2.2 skyactiv.Worst diesel engine ever,they run beautifully but will f*ck up.I got rid of it sharpish when I started finding out.
Having said that the build quality on these newer Mazda’s is incredible,I couldn’t believe how well they are screwed together but that 2.2 diesel engine is used by Toyota too,ticking time bomb!
Like Scooby says,do not buy a Japanese diesel,or any diesel for that matter,dpf,failed regenerations,diesel filling the sumps etc.Apparently the best Jap diesel is the older Honda CTID if I’m not mistaken,not the newer ones.
After my 940 betrayed me I got a BMW X1 with the 2.0 litre N47 diesel engine.It blew up twice,yes you read that right,twice…The garage I got it from sold up before I could get it fixed so I lost about 7k,God that hurt.Then I got the Mazda 3 2.2 Skyactiv but got rid because the web is full of horror stories about this engine.
It was then I made my mind up firmly that I would never ever touch any diesel engine,petrol only,so I scour the local ads and it’s incredibly hard to find a decent well sorted petrol automobile,took me months!
I got the BMW 130i 3 door msport in black to hide the odd rust bubble near the wheel arch.N/A N52 engine producing 261 bhp with a light chassis,not too big not too small.
Now I’m pining for another 940 wagon,preferably in the gunmetal type silver my last one was,don’t like the light silver.I miss that M90 box and the whoosh of the intercooler.The supple ride and other cars generally gave you more room .
Happy days
Yeah, the "Skyactiv" diesel engine is awful. Its a shame because the Mazda's are a lovely looking car. A family friend of ours bought a 2014 diesel Mazda CX30 SUV - Nice looking, not too big and not too small. Downside is it has the diesel "Skyactive" engine which has just blown up out of warranty...

I know its a 10 year old car, but still... it hasn't even done 70k yet.

Petrol versions are better though, even the ones with the "Skyactiv" engine. Diesel Mazda's are not good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 21:02   #24
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's because it was a diseasel Sam, on many cars Honda don't use their own diesels, not sure on the 1.3 D-TEC Civic but i wouldn't go near a Honda diesel either.
Being a diesel does not explain the myriad of other issues the car had. Sam did make a mistake of buying a Honda with a diesel engine, but either way he seems to have been unlucky with that specific car.

I never had a Honda car. I was SO CLOSE to buying a 90s vtec saloon in spain, before I found my 940. I would like to buy a automatic HRV, I really like that car and they aren't expensive. Unfortunatelly automatic cars in Portugal are a niddle in a haystack.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 21:24   #25
GingerMagic

The nearest I got to owning a Honda was a 1983 Triumph Acclaim ( basically a Honda Accord with a Triumph badge ) and to be fair it was a fantastic car 😁

Looked like a grandad car so I rarely got pulled by the constabulary despite driving like a nob, it was super reliable and cheap to run being a 1335cc.

V-tec was relatively new at the time, there was a lot of talk about how good it was compared to other cars but I never drove one.

Anyway, good to see you are still around 👍
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 22:12   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
vtec can be tiresome,I used to have a Honda S2000 which behaved like any n/a 2.0 until it caught fire at around 6k and then run up behind Miss Daisy and the vtec dream was over…Glad you are still here anyway mate
Thanks, the Jag can be somewhat like the S2000 but it overcomes a lot of it with the variable length intake runners. The CR-V (assuming one of its intermittent problems isn't present - the PCV hose collapses when hot and this triggers the knock sensor fault) uses the VTEC at low revs (as previously mentioned) to improve performance and the kick is noticeable, not like the "yo- VTEC" moment but noticeable nonetheless.

Quote:
Happy days
Honda of America have been going for 35 years to my knowledge. I'm guessing the 2.2 Mazda diesel is the same one Ford use?

The BMW 1 Series is actually a Rover design, same as the original BMW Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
Being a diesel does not explain the myriad of other issues the car had. Sam did make a mistake of buying a Honda with a diesel engine, but either way he seems to have been unlucky with that specific car.

I never had a Honda car. I was SO CLOSE to buying a 90s vtec saloon in spain, before I found my 940. I would like to buy a automatic HRV, I really like that car and they aren't expensive. Unfortunatelly automatic cars in Portugal are a niddle in a haystack.
Why so few automatics in Portugal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerMagic View Post
The nearest I got to owning a Honda was a 1983 Triumph Acclaim ( basically a Honda Accord with a Triumph badge ) and to be fair it was a fantastic car 😁

Looked like a grandad car so I rarely got pulled by the constabulary despite driving like a nob, it was super reliable and cheap to run being a 1335cc.

V-tec was relatively new at the time, there was a lot of talk about how good it was compared to other cars but I never drove one.

Anyway, good to see you are still around 👍
Thanks!

The Triumph Acclaim was a rebadged Honda Ballade (Civic with a boot) 1st gen, the second gen Ballade (with a redesigned front) was the Rover 213/216 (the 213 was a Honda unit, 1342cc and 12 valves) and about 30 years ago, i had a Ballade 1.5 EXi - 1493cc, 12v Honda PGM-Fi and 100bhp. It used to scare XR3i drivers! I'd actually gone out looking for a 213/216 and only found the Ballade.

Did you hear of the Avon Acclaim Turbo? That ws a beefed up Acclaim with uprated brakes, suspension and errrrrr, oh yeah, a turbo! Think it was Broadspeed but may have been Janspeed, can't remember now.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 22:32   #27
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Why so few automatics in Portugal?
Good question to which I don't really have an answer. If I had to guess, I don't know if automatic cars are more expensive than manuals when bought new. If they are, I would say that has to be the main reason.
Obviously a lot of newer and high end cars, like above 50k€, are automatic. But you don't see lower end and old cars with automatic gears.
At any given time if you search for older'ish automatics in a search engine you will get only a handful of them and at least some will be imports.
Spain also doesn't have many automatics, but not as few as portugal.
Maybe it's a latin cultural thing. "Real men drive stick shift" kinda thing.
Probably for several reasons it never took and people were too used to manual and were afraid of buying autos or them being unreliable/more expensive to repair.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 22:34   #28
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:

Honda of America have been going for 35 years to my knowledge. I'm guessing the 2.2 Mazda diesel is the same one Ford use?

The BMW 1 Series is actually a Rover design, same as the original BMW Mini.
I believe the Skyactiv 2.2 diesel engine is purely Mazda and isn't used in any Ford product.

However, other models like the Mazda 2, 3 and 5 with the 1.6's are used in Ford's.

"Duratec" engines used in Ford were co-developed with Mazda back in the day.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 17th, 2024 at 22:37.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 23:27   #29
Rumbo
Time Traveller

Yeah it’s their own design and in the early days Toyota bought into it.
It’s a complete disaster and I think they should be held accountable for it as it’s not fit for purpose.The worst I’ve ever seen
Rumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rumbo For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 23:53   #30
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Yeah it’s their own design and in the early days Toyota bought into it.
It’s a complete disaster and I think they should be held accountable for it as it’s not fit for purpose.The worst I’ve ever seen
The biggest issues I believe with the Skyactiv diesels in the early days was the camshafts... they had a nightmare with these.

Then carbon, which built up around the valves and the oil sump. This then blocked the oil pump, leading to low oil pressure with little/restricted oil getting to the the main engine components. Eventually that lead to the chain for the oil pump snapping. These engines have a timing chain and a separate chain that drives the oil pump. When either of those snap, its engine rebuild time. You may think, "Well that's not unheard of... If a chain snaps or belt, it does damage." This was happening on cars that were less than 5 years old!

They also had problems with the injector seals and there was a huge recall for that in 2018 in Europe, particularly on the CX-5 SUV's and the Mazda 6's with the 2.2 Skyactiv diesel engine. They recalled thousands of cars to tighten the injectors with the right torque and clean the intake's.

Poor design.

Yet petrol's were decent.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 17th, 2024 at 23:55.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote