Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Engine System Service Required" + Orange triangle

Views : 1834

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2024, 20:24   #21
Simmy
Premier Member

if you are experiencing voltage problems its recommended to have an external power supply connected. start afresh re scan and read of the delivery tab then erase all codes scan again use the vehicle communications tab and read each module that shows red use the advanced tab to drill down further to discover what is causing the fault there are lots of possibles for your message try watching some vida tutorials to help you navigate your way through there is a good one by farpointfarms. on youtube
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 15:54   #22
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi all,

OK, started this morning by doing an UPDATE scan while the key was in position 2. Battery is fine - showing 13.9V

Got loads of codes. See
VIDA Many codes 1280 x 720.jpg

(I think I) Went to the Delivery tab and did ERASE ALL and another UPDATE
Got a nearly clean slate
VIDA Few codes 1280 x 720.jpg
and no "Engine System Service Required" message and no orange triangle. Hurrah!

Thought that was all good. Had lunch.

When out again, started the engine and "Engine System Service Required" has come straight back (and we are back to many codes again). I think the most significant code is ECM-1890 Swirl actuator control - jammed.
I cannot take the car out for a drive because it is currently SORN (and I am preparing the car for the MOT).

Am I right in thinking that the orange triangle is acceptable for the MOT, so I could just live with it for now, and investigate further later?

Simmy, now that the codes have come back, I will look for the Advanced tab. I have seen it in the past but cannot remember where.

I am finding difficult to get onto the same wavelength as VIDA - the interface is very non-standard. Not helped by the fact that my VM is slow and the touchpad is erratic.

======= A bit of history=========

Car was running very badly when I bought it. A few days ago I disconnected the connector arm between the swirl flaps and the actuator. The flaps seem to move freely to me. The actuator does move from time to time. Disconnecting didn't seem to have any effect on the bad running. Is that user-repairable? So I reconnected it (a few days ago).

From the condition of the intake hose (half gummed up) and the throttle body (partly gummed up), I imagine that the intake manifold needs a clear out. Hoping not to do that quite yet, but a few days ago I did clean the intake hose and the throttle body and doing that made a big difference to power and smoothness of throttle response. At that point I thought my troubles were nearly over.

The thermostat has been stuck open for a while, so I replaced it and engine now gets up to temperature. I wonder what state the DPF is in? (Is DPF with right term for that thing between the final intake hose and the throttle housing)? This is an E4 engine.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VIDA Few codes 1280 x 720.jpg (50.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg VIDA Many codes 1280 x 720.jpg (49.6 KB, 10 views)
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green

Last edited by SteveSarre; Jun 25th, 2024 at 16:05.
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 16:05   #23
stuart bowes
just trying to be helpful

as well as looking into the swirl flap issue it would appear that your MAF sensor may need investigating, has that been replaced yet?

if not you could try some MAF cleaner first

assuming of course you check the connection first and that's not loose or anything, and the air filter is fresh and nothing blocking any of the pipes

I may be seeing this wrong but are you on the 'delivery' tab ? that is the one I always go to for current issues. looking at the other tabs could be misleading

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jun 25th, 2024 at 16:09.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 16:07   #24
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Sorry, forgot to mention that I fitted a new MAF when I fitted the new thermostat.

It is not clear to me what the Selected, Unselected, Delivery tabs are for.

Will go back to the Delivery tab and look again.

Steve
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 16:08   #25
stuart bowes

is it a geniune Volvo or OEM bosch / denso ?

I suppose it's possible inlet issues like the swirl flaps might throw up misleading airflow / maf indications, I don't know

you really need someone who knows more about it, I'm sure one of them will be along at some point

I don't use the other tabs, but I think selected would be, on the diagram, which module you have clicked on, and unselected everything else ? maybe but could be wrong. I just ignore them all and look at delivery maybe there is a good reason for using them I'm not aware of

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jun 25th, 2024 at 16:12.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 16:13   #26
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Stuart,

The MAF is Bosch, new

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234784571727
from Carparts in Motion

As I understand it the 0281006184 is the Bosch code for just the housing and Bosch have fitted an appropriate sensor into the housing to make it appropriate for my car (Volvo part no. 30677999 as per the original MAF, Skandix by the VIN, and Carparts in Motion by the reg and VIN)

Thanks,
Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 16:48   #27
stuart bowes

Righto well that's seems alright doesn't it, maybe just focus on the flaps issue and see if clearing that away gets rid of the MAF faults as well I guess. it's all to do with intake isn't it

once you get shot of all the ECM faults that dash message should go away

re: MOT.. as far I understand it, the engine check light is the one that causes the fails. the rest should be ok assuming of course it isn't affecting the fueling such that you fail the emissions (but ask around and see if that's right maybe)

mini project - link
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 18:02   #28
SteveSarre
Premier Member

OK now I know where the Advanced tab lives. Under Vehicle Communication. And I think the key has to be in position 2

I have done :
Adaptation of turbo motor control
Adaptation of mass airflow sensor
Adaptation of swivel channel throttle

(And now I understand the "Click the VC2000" and Continue process a bit more clearly).

(I also may have done an UPDATE or two to pick up any changes).

I no longer have the "Engine System Service Required" message nor the orange triangle.
I then logged out, and back in, restarted the car and done an UPDATE a couple of times and the problems seem to be staying away.

When I am not parked so near the washing which is hanging out to dry, I may try the Combustion of Soot Particles but to do that, I need to know the quantity of particles in the soot filter - either between 25-99gm or above 99gm.
How do I find that out?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by SteveSarre; Jun 25th, 2024 at 18:04.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 18:25   #29
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

use vida to read the ecm and scroll down to find particle filter which should indicate how full the dpf is .if you are going to try a re gen of the dpf its adviseable to find somewhere away from home. as it can take a fair amount of time to do the process as it needs to build up the temperature of all associated components. this involves continuous revving of the engine and possibly a fair amount of smoke and noise i you have a lot of mechanical sympathy it might be worth letting a garage do it as it can be quite a brutal process let us know the outcome.ps berfore starting this check that the oil is not over filled.. if it is remove some before starting

Last edited by Simmy; Jun 25th, 2024 at 18:32.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2024, 13:44   #30
SteveSarre
Premier Member

"Engine System Service Required" and orange triangle was clear last night but came back again today.

Various codes such as
the usual ECM-1890 Swirl actuator control - jammed
and a few new ones
ECM-6662 glow relay control - Faulty signal
ECM-6663 glow relay control - Faulty signal
ECM-6664 glow relay control - Faulty signal
ECM-6665 glow relay control - Faulty signal

I can go to delivery and Erase All, then go in and out of VIDA and few times, and restart the engine, and sometimes the codes stay away, but then they come back.

Meanwhile checked the "Combustion of soot particles" situation. At idle, there is not much soot (4.5g) and the pressure sensor in the particulate sensor (8hPa) is within limits (3-20 hPa) so the regeneration process will not start. I guess that is good.

When I take the car in for its MOT, will the "Engine System Service Required" message and orange triangle be a problem? or only if that changes to a red triangle (possibly with a more serious urgent message)?

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg particulate filter 267062024 1280 x 720.jpg (59.6 KB, 4 views)