Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Normal engine running temperature

Views : 13515

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2013, 09:12   #21
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2brett View Post
hi sorry for the delay in replying, i managed to log the engine temp on a 4 mile run to work this mornin (approx 10 mins driving) in that time it got up to 82c, no idea why intake hit 32c though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
Oh and to answer your question v2brett the turbo, driven by exhaust gases, heats the air up that is why it is/was at 32C, I'm not sure if that temp was after the intercooler or before it. If you were stationary when you took the screen shot I suspect it was after the intercooler. Look at it again when moving and I suspect it will only be a couple of degrees above the outside temp.
When driving mine this morning the intake manifold temperarture at normal driving was around 5 degrees C above the ambient temperature. Ie the ambient temperature was 4-5 degrees C and the IMT was showing around 8-10 degrees C. However, hard acceleration saw it go up to 16 degrees C and it then returned to a normal value after acceleration.

I think a figure of 32 degrees C for the IMT is too high unless it was very warm in Wakefield on the day you did the test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
I've been following this thread for some time and yes the engine coolant temp of a diesel should be between 80C and 90C. If you think about it some engines, Mercedes for example, fit a heater to bring the engine temperature up quickly as the block (in most Mercedes) is made of cast iron and takes a long time to heat up. In Sweden Volvo and other vehicle manufacturers used to fit sump heaters for use in the winter so the engines could be (almost) at working temperature before you got into the car to go to work. Not sure if they still do that. I can't remember the details of the efficiency graphs I learnt as a young Marine Engineer but a diesel engine runs at its most efficient between 80C and 90C.
I know when I had my V40 that a fuel driven engine heater was an option for the LHD market but not RHD. Perhaps this is the same with newer models.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 23:30   #22
v2brett

thanks for your advice tt82 the intake peaked at that temp yesterday after accelerating onto a dual carriageway but it did cross my mind that it was slightly high, the ambient temp was 4c.

i guess my 1st step is to clean the map sensor and then monitor the readings, is the sensor on the IC and is it easily accessible?

How did you get on with your service Richy, any reasons given for your slow warm up?
v2brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 06:52   #23
Richy Clark

The garage has had he car since Thursday a.m. for service and it's first MOT. They have confirmed that there is a problem but they are having difficulty getting the parts, something to do with the thermostat housing, I guess if this is broken it may be allowing coolant to bypass the thermostat. They mentioned difficulties with something at the back of the engine, they have been a little vague. A mate who has a working copy of VIDA is printing of the relevant sections so that I can have a look. As it stands the car is in the garage until Monday.
Richy Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 07:47   #24
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2brett View Post
thanks for your advice tt82 the intake peaked at that temp yesterday after accelerating onto a dual carriageway but it did cross my mind that it was slightly high, the ambient temp was 4c.

i guess my 1st step is to clean the map sensor and then monitor the readings, is the sensor on the IC and is it easily accessible?
That may explain it. There are some Volvo meets in the North with 2 popular ones being Wetherby and Rishworth Moor. I'm generally at these so we could always do a back to back test on your car and mine to see if we get differing results using the same OBD2 reader.

I believe the tempature and pressure sensor is a combined unit, placed on the exit of the intercooler but thats based on 00-07 models. Only had my V70 a few months and it's my first turbo engine so I'm still learning myself.

Old Mar 9th, 2013, 10:15   #25
rnlisg

Default engine temp

i can not for the life of me,understand the logic in volvo not fitting a simple guage,they go to the trouble of fitting a stupid compass in the mirror(dont need it)cruise control(dont need it)i pod gismo(dont need that either).
this means to get a simple idea of what the car is running at you have to get electronic gismo,s to plug in(god knows what they cost).
give me simple anytime,less to go wrong(and less leeway for the stealers to get you)!!!
THERE RANT OVER!!!
i still love my xc though.
sandy
rnlisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 10:34   #26
krzemien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Clark
They have confirmed that there is a problem but they are having difficulty getting the parts, something to do with the thermostat housing, I guess if this is broken it may be allowing coolant to bypass the thermostat
That's what one of the VOLVO garages around me suggested so far: it might not be faulty thermostat per se, but seal around it that leaks. And obviously they did not hesitate to point out that parts of seal might detach and enter water pump making bigger damage

In either case - it's 19th of March for my car's turn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlisg
i can not for the life of me,understand the logic in volvo not fitting a simple guage
I can sadly - that's the side effect of service-based economy and its resulting approach: sell the product for next-to-zero profit and charge zillions for everything later.

By the same token: missing oil level dipstick (who trusts the electronic one anyway - that its readouts can be bodged using rewritten firmware?), missing automatic gear oil level dipstick (OK, not missing, inaccessible perhaps), over-complicated electronic parking brake, etc. etc.
krzemien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krzemien For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 19:16   #27
big square car

What a rigmarol just to ascertain the water temperature!!..just give us a water
temperature guage for goodness sake!! Can't cost that much especially in electronic form
big square car is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to big square car For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 17:49   #28
Richy Clark

Talking Fixed!

Car back from garage and now fixed. The engine temperature got up to 87 degrees centigrade on the way home and interior now well cosy

The service slip says they replaced the thermostat but they also replaced it's housing and some connecting pipework; it took them some time to get the parts.

Thanks to you all for your support.

Richard.
Richy Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 22:54   #29
v2brett

nice 1 Richy, happy motoring bud
v2brett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to v2brett For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 08:01   #30
tt82
Forum Support Team

Glad you got it sorted in the end Richy.

Tags
coolant, engine, odb2, odbii, temperature