Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Summer travels - what MPG

Views : 8899

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2013, 12:40   #31
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90driver View Post
Brittany back to Scotland on Super U supermarket diesel, a slightly disappointing 34.2.

Well it is up hill most of the way!
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 09:18   #32
Mistero
XC90? How very Harrogate!

First, I must thank everyone for all the responses on this thread.

Second, to advise that I've been on my second 'tour' of the summer and improved my figure, (see photo). A 2 day trip from Harrogate to the stunning Brecon Beacons and back, (outward via central Leeds, then M1, M42, M5, then A roads - return A roads through central Wales to Telford, M54, M6, M62 and back through Leeds). Driving mainly at around 65mph, I was holding an average of 39.6 until I hit massive jams on the M6 and M62.

As others on here have said, the car just feels effortless and covers the miles really comfortably. So much better since I had all 4 wheels re-balanced and laser aligned.

I reckon there's not many vehicles that can manage the combination of 7 seats, a massive boot, 4 wheel drive on demand, the power to take off like my dog after next door's cat and near 40mpg.

I haven't achieved my goal yet of an indicated 40+mpg over a 400 mile trip, but I'm getting there - really, really happy.

Thanks again everyone, keep the responses coming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00960.JPG (145.3 KB, 38 views)
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 21:18   #33
phaedrus

I have a 2004 XC90 D5, with 143,500 miles on the clock I mostly use it only for motorway mileage for work going from Leicestershire to Staffordshire (M1, A50), although there are some quick trips to the shops and back, etc. In early July I drove to the south of france, then roadtripped all around the alps for nearly 2 weeks, then back home again, with a car load of camping gear & family, plus a roof box. Then a week later me and the wife drove down to Bordeaux for 6 days. Then last weekend I drove down to Brighton and back (A14, M11, M25, M23) with a car full of guys for a stag-do. Pretty hectic couple of months really! All the long distance mileage has been done averaging around 70mph. My mpg counter is currently sitting at 39.0 on the nose so I am pretty happy with that for a car of this size!

I was also very impressed when acting as a shuttle service on the stag do that the power and driveability seems no different from just me in the car, to having a full load of 7 x 30something blokes in the car.
phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 13:27   #34
cvsmjd

Just got a brand new XC90 SE, drove to South of France (Bordeaux) area. 2400 miles, averaged around 30 mpg.

Will the mpg improve as the engine runs in - What should the tyre pressure be set for - I picked the car up from the dealer and expected the tyre pressures etc to be set?

I am not sure of the automatic box - fine at cruising / but finding it difficult starting out of a junction and at low speeds.

Had one scare after doing around 150 miles on the clock - starting the engine up and got a fault error telling me to have it serviced. Turned engine off and started up again been okay since?
cvsmjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 14:19   #35
Curly59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvsmjd View Post
Just got a brand new XC90 SE, drove to South of France (Bordeaux) area. 2400 miles, averaged around 30 mpg.

Will the mpg improve as the engine runs in - What should the tyre pressure be set for - I picked the car up from the dealer and expected the tyre pressures etc to be set?

I am not sure of the automatic box - fine at cruising / but finding it difficult starting out of a junction and at low speeds.

Had one scare after doing around 150 miles on the clock - starting the engine up and got a fault error telling me to have it serviced. Turned engine off and started up again been okay since?
Hi, Brought a 2010 XC90 geartronic 4 months ago average 30mpg over 7.5K miles.

Reading forums mpg will increase with mileage. Best I have returned 40 (over 200miles eco driving! ( 24K on the clock). I think that the DPF fitted has a marked impact on economy. A lot of the guys here quote older cars and looking at mpg comments seems they are better off.
Running at 39 psi on tyres as recommended by quite a few forum members. Seems better on how it "feels" on the road. This is top end of recommended scale, dealer will set at something like 32.
The auto box can be hard work, making you plan your "take off" at junctions, just had the car remapped this being one of the reasons. But you have warranty so only polestar is an option (assumed you don't have 205 bhp as standard)

Hope you enjoy the car!
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 20:54   #36
ianu
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quick update from me.
Long weekend down to Cardiff and back + the Monday commute down to Guildford yesterday.
Dash reading 48mpg, average speed reading 48mph, actual brim to brim figure 39.84mpg. From about 45mpg on the display upwards - always seems to be 38-39ish.
Diet - Tesco standard diesel with and occasional BP ultimate top up (for the free pizza).

Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 01:17   #37
cvsmjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly59 View Post
Hi, Brought a 2010 XC90 geartronic 4 months ago average 30mpg over 7.5K miles.

Reading forums mpg will increase with mileage. Best I have returned 40 (over 200miles eco driving! ( 24K on the clock). I think that the DPF fitted has a marked impact on economy. A lot of the guys here quote older cars and looking at mpg comments seems they are better off.
Running at 39 psi on tyres as recommended by quite a few forum members. Seems better on how it "feels" on the road. This is top end of recommended scale, dealer will set at something like 32.
The auto box can be hard work, making you plan your "take off" at junctions, just had the car remapped this being one of the reasons. But you have warranty so only polestar is an option (assumed you don't have 205 bhp as standard)

Hope you enjoy the car!
Cheers, does the higher tyre pressure result in high tyre wear?

Mark
cvsmjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 08:50   #38
laundryman
The Engineer

Mark,
No. Only extra wear is on the front nearside tyre. British roundabouts!! The rest is softness of rubber & heaviness of right foot!
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 09:41   #39
Just Drive

32-33mpg so far.

Sticking to speed limits and using cruise wherever possible. Climate set to AUTO.

Tried different fuels too, BP Ultimate, V-Power, Standard Esso, Standard Shell. Makes no difference.

Last edited by Just Drive; Aug 15th, 2013 at 11:55.
Just Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 11:48   #40
Mistero
XC90? How very Harrogate!

@ just drive - Totally agree re the fuels affecting mileage. My first 400+ trip was on BP ordinary diesel, the second was on Asda's.

Tags
mpg