Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Owner

Views : 3122

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2017, 22:59   #31
coolpurks

Thanks I did check those where they joined to the bulkhead/firewall they looked fine. My immediate thought was hoses as some water had managed to gather on the injectors / fuel rail so seemed as though something had actually squirted out but it's definitely gathering by where the the dipstick goes into the block
coolpurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 23:08   #32
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If the water pump to head joint is leaking, it can spray coolant out into the fan which then splatters it all over the engine bay - injectors, plugs, dizzy cap etc
so although i forgot the dipstick is on the back end of the engine on the 4-pots, the main theory holds true - the water pimp is still at the front of the block and having had that joint leak due to an incorrectly fitted head gasket and the fan blow it all over the dizzy and plugs and cause the beast to stutter, couch and splutter.................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 10:47   #33
coolpurks

Unhappy

OK thanks for this- I drove it to the garage on Sat morning (but not open!!) so took about half an hour tinkering around and having a look. Looks almost certain to be leaking from the rear of the engine, I think around the head- seems almost as though they haven't tightened the head enough- not sure they replaced the head bolts so maybe those have just stretched. When I twist the throttle cable back, I can physically see it seeping out of somewhere around there. It's not losing a crazy amount of water (less than a litre for a 20 min motorway drive) but obviously not great either! Still keeps temperature perfectly and the car otherwise drives perfectly.
I also think it is spraying oil out somewhere - it's coming out the filler cap again a bit even with the seal replaced so I'm thinking the breathers are not fully cleaned out again- it also seems to be spraying out at the top of the engine as the bonnet liner thing was wet and seemed to be dripping oil (I thought it was water to begin with) - anyway, I'm taking it to the garage after work today so lets hope it all gets sorted!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coolpurks For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 20:30   #34
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Does sound very much as if they haven't tightened the head down properly!

If so you'll need an oil and filter change, coolant change (ethylene glycol, NOT that horrible OAT stuff!), breathers re-cleaned as the crank case will have been pressurised by the ill-fitted head and insist on a new cam belt, even if they've just done it. There is no doubt from what you've said it will be contaminated with oil now and as such could easily fail in service, if not now, sooner or later.

They should also have the engine bay cleaned (not steam cleaned though) to get rid of the oil and coolant stains that are now there.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 20:05   #35
coolpurks

I was wrong and James was right! Hoses whilst ok where they were connected to the bulkhead, one was leaking at the block so head is fine. Phew! Replaced with 2 new genuine hoses. Garage assures me breathers cleaned out properly and no pressure there so has put on a new seal on the filler cap so let's hope that cures it. Now let's get down to actually using it!!
The Following User Says Thank You to coolpurks For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 21:00   #36
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpurks View Post
I was wrong and James was right! Hoses whilst ok where they were connected to the bulkhead, one was leaking at the block so head is fine. Phew! Replaced with 2 new genuine hoses. Garage assures me breathers cleaned out properly and no pressure there so has put on a new seal on the filler cap so let's hope that cures it. Now let's get down to actually using it!!
Glad it was something simple although awkward to access hence gets left unchanged.

Hope you can now enjoy your car.

James

Last edited by volvo always; Jul 11th, 2017 at 23:06.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2017, 22:32   #37
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad you got it sorted and that it (apparently) wasn't the head gasket and/or head bolts not being tightened correctly.

Old Jul 30th, 2017, 17:52   #38
coolpurks

Hi all just thought I'd give you an update on the beast!
Very much enjoying owning it- since getting the head gasket done it has run great using no noticible oil or water- of the issues it did have-
Speedo dead- I pulled it out (impressed the surround is metal!! You'd never get that on a car these days!) and got hold of the instructions off the Volvo forum to fix the dead caps- turns out these instructions were for the 91-92 speedo only so the caps I ordered were not needed!! Couldn't spot any probs with any components but a couple of the joints looked a little corroded and possibly bridging so I cleaned it all up with some servisol went over all the joints with it and cleaned up any oxidation and hey presto now works perfectly- very happy! One of the back light leds is a bit temperamental so might take it out and wiggle it around a bit to see if that helps.

Washer fluid leaking on my feet was a fairly easy fix- pulled out large rubber grommet from bulkhead, reattached pipe which was a bit fiddly and put on new zip tie as tight as poss. Seems to have done the trick! Low washer fluid light is on despite reservoir being full. Tried tapping washer bottle to free float but no luck so just removed sensor plug!

Idle was pretty dodgy would occasionally stall on idle so cleaned out throttle body, idle control valve and MAF and now idles great so very happy!!

Also lubricated creaking doors with some lithium grease which did the trick and fitted a Bluetooth stereo so I can make calls.

Still loads of niggly little things to do but really enjoying ownership so far! Thanks for everyone's help!
The Following User Says Thank You to coolpurks For This Useful Post:

Tags
new owner, temperature gasket, turbo, volvo 940