Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETS Light - ETM failure -> Volvo US admits to problem.

Views : 115443

Replies : 434

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 13:23   #411
roadhog

It affects all ME7 cars. Mine's a '99 S-reg T5 and it very definitely is affected, although not at the moment. I've had the upgrade done at my cost by an indie and other than burning a couple of exhaust valves since the car has been fine. Fingers crossed!!
roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 17:34   #412
beoutside

Default N american response for v70 warranty

You are right on the nose for the situation in N america.
We just bought a Volvo use 1999 v70 x/c, and thanks to your info called up the local service tech. They searched the vin number and made an appointment this week for two warranty repairs. The throttle module and a faulty light harness I believe.
Thanks for the info and good luck with Volvo UK
A Canadian living in US , Donny
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 22:40   #413
AllyB
AllyB

Default ETS fault

I have read some of the comments on Electronic Throttle System (ETS) problems. My year 2000 C70 now has this fault. I have to wait for the ETS light to come on before the car will start. I live in Surrey in the UK and use the local dealer Squire Furneaux. Has anyone had any luck in getting it fixed free of charge? My car has done 59,000 miles.
AllyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 15:26   #414
keefrto1
VOC member in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyB View Post
I have read some of the comments on Electronic Throttle System (ETS) problems. My year 2000 C70 now has this fault. I have to wait for the ETS light to come on before the car will start. I live in Surrey in the UK and use the local dealer Squire Furneaux. Has anyone had any luck in getting it fixed free of charge? My car has done 59,000 miles.
Hi is this the same problem as the ETM issue? If it is I have just bought a C70 T5 GT AUTO 2000 and because of this website I asked the garage to send the vehicle to Volvo for the software upgrade which is free. Check out www.volvocars.co.uk and I beleive its under ownership section where volvo have a statment.
cheers
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 15:06   #415
keefrto1
VOC member in Canada

sorry if this has been postedaready:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...73/detail.html
OH MY GOD WATCH THE VIDEO
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 17:51   #416
OogieBoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyB View Post
You've probably had this done by now - but if not the Squire Furneaux guys at Pirbright did it no questions asked after mine died on the way home just after xmas.
OogieBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 00:40   #417
kelpie

Default free replacement

hi oogieboogie,
Was that just a clean and software upgrade,or a whole new unit replaced free ?
kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 01:20   #418
Oli
VOC Member

Volvo customer services told me this week that the cost of replacement is now £250 with a £50 (20%) contribution from Volvo on my car. I've a reference number I can give to any dealer to get the work done when I feel it's needed.

Now that may still be £200, but it is £450 less than the dealer wanted to charge me a month ago!

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:41   #419
Muscas
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Volvo customer services told me this week that the cost of replacement is now £250 with a £50 (20%) contribution from Volvo on my car. I've a reference number I can give to any dealer to get the work done when I feel it's needed.

Now that may still be £200, but it is £450 less than the dealer wanted to charge me a month ago!

Oli
Hi Oli,

How is life????

What is the mileage on your car?
Seems like I got a raw deal from Volvo, I had to pay £550 13 months ago and that included a 10% discount from the dealer.
My opinion of Volvo is not improving!

Patrick
1994 Volvo 480ES 2.0i (In and out of Roadworthiness)
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser, daily car
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 23:02   #420
Oli
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscas View Post
Hi Oli,

How is life????

What is the mileage on your car?
Seems like I got a raw deal from Volvo, I had to pay £550 13 months ago and that included a 10% discount from the dealer.
My opinion of Volvo is not improving!

Patrick
Hey Patrick,

Pretty good, except for a sprained ankle that refuses to repair.

My milage is now up to 97k miles. I had the software updated a while back and the instances of poor idle and irratic revs has dropped off a lot, but not completely eliminated. However, I had to speak to Volvo on another matter and the price of replacement of the ETM came up in conversation. This deal should be available to everybody it seemed. I'd give them a call if I were you and see if there's anything they can do for you retrospectively. They did say that it is a new pricing policy though - and yes, given what we know, it should be free.

I'll be posting on the real reason for contacting Volvo once the issue is resolved.

Passed an MOT this week with no observations, so pretty pleased/releaved. Tyres will need doing soon, so saving up for a decent set.

Work is work; family great, though exhausting; enjoying the sun.

How about you?

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote