Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Engine System Service Required" + Orange triangle

Views : 1759

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2024, 15:31   #41
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Still puzzling, will report back when I understand what is going on.
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:25   #42
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Problems now solved.

On my 2006 2.4D E4 , I was getting various network connection errors in VIDA, and some very odd MAF readings with a"Engine System Service Required" message and orange triangle

At numerous points I cleared codes etc, but the codes kept coming back.

From time to time I would also get swirl actuator control jammed message. If I disconnected the swirl link arm, the swirl flaps seemed to move freely, so I reconnected it.

The throttle position didn't seem to correspond to the pedal position, and would often stick at 90%. I cleaned the throttle blade (which was a bit coked up) and that seemed to fix that.

I also replaced the thermostat because the engine was never getting up to temperature, and the aux belt while I was at it.

Then, long story short, I replaced the MAF
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234784571727
and that did improve the running but I would still get "Engine System Service Required" message and orange triangle and the swirl actuator control jammed message.

I noticed the intake manifold pressure was unchanging (at 1024 hPa? - I don't have it in front of me). That was the default value that VIDA says is used if the sensor is not providing a signal. I cleaned the intake manifold pressure sensor, which was very oily/tarred up, but that didn't help.

I fitted a new Boost pressure sensor (which is another name for the intake manifold pressure sensor in this situation)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235062938921
and the problems have gone away.

At some point I disconnected the battery and shorted the positive to the negative leads for a while, which I believe resets some parts of the network.
That seems to have cleared the recurring network connection errors in VIDA

By the way, that boost pressure sensor does both temperature and pressure
Google
"0 261 230 295" "Bosch" "temperature" "pressure"

At last all codes have gone and are not recurring (I am just left with parking assist sensor and air conditioning (low pressure)) which I will deal with later.

On this troubleshooting journey, I watched this Youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iTSnbBS218
It is a bit long winded, but was very helpful for me to understand how MAF/Boost pressure and swirl actuator interact.

Hope that helps,
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green

Last edited by SteveSarre; Yesterday at 09:30.
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post: