Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Summer travels - what MPG

Views : 8896

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2013, 14:46   #41
Curly59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvsmjd View Post
Cheers, does the higher tyre pressure result in high tyre wear?

Mark
Not really done the miles myself to prove either way, but other comments suggest could be better as the xc tends to scrub the corner edge off the tyres at reccommended pressures . Just dropped a new pair of Goodyear's on the front so will monitor over coming months.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 09:55   #42
cvsmjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly59 View Post
Not really done the miles myself to prove either way, but other comments suggest could be better as the xc tends to scrub the corner edge off the tyres at reccommended pressures . Just dropped a new pair of Goodyear's on the front so will monitor over coming months.
Thanks for the advice - will get the pressures checked.
cvsmjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 22:34   #43
moncman

Just back from the Vendee.

2010 SE geartronic (200hp) 5 up and boot loaded to the roof with awning BBQ second fridge etc etc and towing 1500kgs of Elddis 6 berth. 26mpg average at mostly 65mph.

I find it works best with the van on the back with cruise set at 1900rpm.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 10:23   #44
TWPC

Living in London and leaving sometimes at the weekends, our diesel manual 2010 SE does about 29 mpg. I pumped up the tyres from 32 psi to 39 psi before the wife set off for summer on the Isle of Wight.
She's now averaging just over 32 mpg and apart from the drive down there is doing short journeys.

I'm pretty happy with that improvement. The numbers don't look hugely impressive but we've only done 17,700 miles in close to 3 years (bought new) and I have never got the wheels aligned.

The ride has deteriorated slightly in my opinion but nothing serious and none of the family have noticed/complained.

We changed the tyres from Conti Cross Contacts to Nokian Z SUVs, which seem absolutely fine.
TWPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 20:59   #45
adieu
Master Member

We don't go far, but managed 28mpg from out T6 with 84k on Sunday going to Legoland from Swindon. i know it's not far, but if i can average that over a short journey on the M4 i wonder what it might do on a longer trip.

Normal use only see's 19mpg round town.....

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 11:08   #46
Mistero
XC90? How very Harrogate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncman View Post
Just back from the Vendee.

2010 SE geartronic (200hp) 5 up and boot loaded to the roof with awning BBQ second fridge etc etc and towing 1500kgs of Elddis 6 berth. 26mpg average at mostly 65mph.

I find it works best with the van on the back with cruise set at 1900rpm.
I've been meaning to reply to this comment for a few days. That must be a fair weight to haul and you're still getting 26mpg? I'm thinking that's pretty impressive, (unless someone else corrects me).
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 16:41   #47
moncman

Yes I was very pleased. There might have been a bit of a tail wind but over 400 or so miles it probably averaged out.

As it happens we took the van to the South Cotswolds for bank holiday. Perhaps a bit lighter with the porch awning etc but still got 23 average on the way home. That included quite a bit of stop start traffic jams up the Fosse Way through Stow etc.

I think gentle acceleration and obviously reading the road ahead to reduce sharp braking helps. The XC90 will pull the side off your house but it'll get through quite a bit of fuel if you try

Oh - and I used posh diesel in France as it was quite good value. Mostly Total Excellium.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 16:58   #48
Carrizos

Default towing

Living in a hilly bit of N Cornwall I have averaged 29 MPG over the last year, pulled down by a fair amount of short trips of 5-10 miles.

01 August I drove Roscoff to Galicia, (last minute holiday and the Santander ferry was full) one adult one child + towing about 500Kg in a trailer covering 934 miles stopping once for a refuel and a couple of eating breaks. My stay awake mission strategy was trying to stick around 60 mph and coasting downhill/floating uphill where possible and gently feathering the throttle to ensure I was coasting as much as possible. Amazed to see 44 MPG all the way to Bayone then dropped to 41 overall after completing the hilly section along the N Spain coast route. I had plenty of time to experiment on the gentle French autovia and just doing an extra 5 mph more even up a gentle uphill vastly affected the instantaneous reading, e.g. 35 @ 55mph but 22 @ 60. On most downhills it was possible to hit 99.9 with the trailer pushing us along. Tankful to tankful calculation was 43 mpg on the first tank.

Was back to around 30 during three weeks in galicia, again a fair few short hilly trips from base. It went down to 22MPG for the 4 days were spent in the Asturian mountains but we were camping at about 5000feet and trugging up and down very steep winding roads.

Home trip on Sept 4th with 2 adults and 2 children and and extra 50kg in the trailer managed 39 overall. 6 days back in Cornwall and a gentler driving strategy than before and I am up to 32mpg without the trailer :-(

Anyway doing long trips and driving like Reginald Molehusband on an economy mission and being very patient seems to make a vast difference to MPG.
Trip blog

Last edited by Carrizos; Sep 10th, 2013 at 17:01. Reason: added link
Carrizos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 22:39   #49
DCO

Smile

On a return trip to northern Italy the average consumption on our 2005 model 163 geartronic with about 500kg load in the form of people and gear, was 37.1mpg. On the outward journey the consumption was about 39mpg until we started our first climb up the Alps.

Most motorway driving was at 75 - 80mph actual. Tyre pressures 36F / 39R.

Climate control permanently on (as always!). Used basic supermarket fuel (cost about €1.33 per litre) which was generally cheaper than major fuel brands by €0.08 in towns to €0.19 at motorway services.

Excluding breaks, I drove 7 1/2 hours in one day and at the end felt fine, with no aches or tiredness having driven 6 hours the day before. Another testament to the comfort of the XC90! Well pleased!
DCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 00:57   #50
diro

last time I checked it was 23mpg which is ridiculously low most of the journeys on the rural roads.
Last weekend DPF was removed and remapped. DPF was completely clogged and no sun was seen on the other end looking through the filter. Watching tank gauge and miles I can say mpg is improved. But this is still not the end.
Have performed diagnostics and it said "heated oxygen sensor" (lambda) signal too low. Just disconnected sensor plug to make sure I am looking for right one (there are 2 sensors next to each other), performed diagnostics again and the tool pointed at the same sensor.
A new lambda sensor has been ordered today and should be on its way tomorrow.
Looking forward new sensor will make a difference.

Tags
mpg