Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 - power tailgate sinks a few inches after opening

Views : 19812

Replies : 93

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2024, 19:11   #51
leckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGeo View Post
I'm amazed at how few of you (any of you?) have gone back to Volvo with this fault. There's obviously a manufacturing or design issue with these struts and a quick mention of consumer protection laws, fit for purpose, pre-existing, dangerous fault etc. etc. should have Volvo paying for most of, if not all of, the repair. If they'd refused my repair I would have taken them to the small claims court. Just because your car is out of the manufacturer's warranty doesn't mean you aren't entitled to have it repaired at Volvo's cost.
I have an open complaint under investigation with Volvo at the moment regarding this. There's far too many 2019 failures for it to be expected wear and tear. I got a 4 week update today stating it's still ongoing with a response likely before the 8 week mark. The struts on my XC60 were replaced as part of a recall, it feels these should be the same.
leckie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leckie For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 21:09   #52
Elffar

Default V60 Tailgate strut

Dear Volvo UK.

I have just been quoted £870 ex fitting for two replacement tailgate struts; the originals have failed and the tailgate drops down after fully opening.

Considering the car is less than 5 years old I find this price excessive and once the fitting charge is added I suspect the price will be in excess of £1000.

Having looked at the internet I find that I am not the only driver with this problem - it appears that quite a few have had similar problems. I see that Volvo also issued a recall for XC 60’s with a similar strut problem in January 2019.

Having looked at the strut I have observed the following;

1. The strut has been designed in such a way as to allow water ingress into the body of the unit thereby corroding the spring and possibly the motor.

2. When the tailgate is opened after rain the join between the rear window and tailgate frame channels the water onto the top of the strut which runs down into the main body of the unit.

Based on the above I would say that sufficient consideration in the design phase was not given to the possibility that water could get into the unit and in its current form the strut is not suitable for purpose.

I attach two images showing the issue.

Having owned four Volvos in the past, the first being a 145 estate in the 70’s. I have always considered them to be a quality and reliable car and apart from being very disappointed, I would not have expected to have such a minor issue with my current V60.

Unfortunately the car is just out of warranty. I look forward to receiving your response.

Kind regards,

Andrew Raffle

Let’s see what Volvos response image4.jpeg
Sent from my iPadimage3.jpeg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0046.jpg (116.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0041.jpg (214.1 KB, 38 views)
Elffar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 22:49   #53
Danny 1957

That is the same type of fault that Škoda have and no doubt the VW group.
Danny 1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 08:58   #54
leckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elffar View Post
Dear Volvo UK.

I have just been quoted £870 ex fitting for two replacement tailgate struts; the originals have failed and the tailgate drops down after fully opening.

Considering the car is less than 5 years old I find this price excessive and once the fitting charge is added I suspect the price will be in excess of £1000.

Having looked at the internet I find that I am not the only driver with this problem - it appears that quite a few have had similar problems. I see that Volvo also issued a recall for XC 60’s with a similar strut problem in January 2019.

Having looked at the strut I have observed the following;

1. The strut has been designed in such a way as to allow water ingress into the body of the unit thereby corroding the spring and possibly the motor.

2. When the tailgate is opened after rain the join between the rear window and tailgate frame channels the water onto the top of the strut which runs down into the main body of the unit.

Based on the above I would say that sufficient consideration in the design phase was not given to the possibility that water could get into the unit and in its current form the strut is not suitable for purpose.

I attach two images showing the issue.

Having owned four Volvos in the past, the first being a 145 estate in the 70’s. I have always considered them to be a quality and reliable car and apart from being very disappointed, I would not have expected to have such a minor issue with my current V60.

Unfortunately the car is just out of warranty. I look forward to receiving your response.

Kind regards,

Andrew Raffle

Let’s see what Volvos response
image4.jpeg
Sent from my iPadimage3.jpeg
I've been waiting a while so we'll see what you get back. Just on some of your points though:

1. The XC60 recall was cited as being due to possible failure/detachment during freezing temperatures so not the same unfortunately.

2. If the covers were reversed it would actually be worse as the boot spends more time closed increasing the chances of water pooling up and subsequent ingress. This also seems to be a fairly standard design from what I can see.

I don't know what the internal construction looks like but there should be decent seals designed to prevent ingress and that might be what's causing the problems.
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 09:44   #55
SmartMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckie View Post
I've been waiting a while so we'll see what you get back. Just on some of your points though:

1. The XC60 recall was cited as being due to possible failure/detachment during freezing temperatures so not the same unfortunately.

2. If the covers were reversed it would actually be worse as the boot spends more time closed increasing the chances of water pooling up and subsequent ingress. This also seems to be a fairly standard design from what I can see.

I don't know what the internal construction looks like but there should be decent seals designed to prevent ingress and that might be what's causing the problems.
The replacement part is of a different design and has a different part number so they must know there is an issue.
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 10:19   #56
Elffar

Default V60 tailgate power strut failure.

I would think that Volvo have had many issues with this strut. I’ve read threads from other EU countries with similar problems so it must be a design issue. Last year when the issue first appeared the door initially dropped a couple of inches, I re-programmed the tail gate switch this appeared to work. But now it opens to full height and drops approximately two thirds of the opening height and I have to manually push it up again. Unfortunately the gate does not hold open and closes, defiantly a safety issue. I now have to keep it open with a broom handle when loading items. Images I’see show the spring corrode and/or broken. The motors still able to lift the tailgate. Hope this is helpful to other V60 owners.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elffar For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 10:24   #57
leckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMAC View Post
The replacement part is of a different design and has a different part number so they must know there is an issue.
Yeah I agree completely. It's the exact reason I have the open complaint. Will see if they're willing to accept that.
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 16:31   #58
Number 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny 1957 View Post
That is the same type of fault that Škoda have and no doubt the VW group.
I have a work Colleague with a 2019 Kia Ceed, which has the same fault with the E struts, Kia's response, "yes sir, when would you like to book it in for a free replacement" !
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 20:05   #59
Elffar

Default V60 tailgate struts

Several years ago I had Saab 93. The front springs went on the McPherson struts. This was a known fault by Saab who willingly replace the said springs even though the car was several years out of warranty. Now that what I call customer service. It’s a pity Saab disappeared.
Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 09:28   #60
V60 probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elffar View Post
Several years ago I had Saab 93. The front springs went on the McPherson struts. This was a known fault by Saab who willingly replace the said springs even though the car was several years out of warranty. Now that what I call customer service. It’s a pity Saab disappeared.
I had a similar experience with Saab, replaced AC condenser for free on a five year old car (with full Saab history).

Prevously: 1992 440ti, 1997 S40 1.8, 2000 S80 2.4.
V60 probably is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, sinks, struts, tailgate, v60