Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

what mileage did your Clutch slave Cylinder give up at?

Views : 29369

Replies : 135

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What Mileage did your Clutch slave Cylinder give up at?
sub 75k 26 10.74%
75-100k 36 14.88%
100k-125k 32 13.22%
125k-150k 23 9.50%
150k-175k 14 5.79%
over 175k 9 3.72%
mine hasn't gone yet. 102 42.15%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 30th, 2012, 12:40   #51
Digidick

Well my slave cylinder went this morning and shes on 164k. I'll be having everything changed (slave, clutch and duel) at around £700.

Managed to use a 30% discount code with Euro Car Parts today saving me over £200 so got all LUK parts for £445.20, result!..... sort of.

I know the owner of ETS Tyres here in the Derby/Notts area so they'll be fitting the parts for me.
Digidick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Digidick For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 10:36   #52
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Question

My thrust bearing failed a few weeks ago as I could hear it complain by whining at me. Of course I was several hundred miles away from home with the family in tow and I was concerned I was not going to make it through the weekend and miss the events. If I even touched the clutch pedal with minimal force it would scrape and whine. Luckily I made it back down the A9 from Boat of Garten without having to be rescued and dropped it off at the stealers later the next week for a new clutch slave cylinder/release bearing and now it is like a new car. It was going to need a new clutch in the next 10,000 anyhow due to the mileage but I hadn't anticipated it was going to be this soon, especially just after buying the car. It was getting hard to get into first and reverse. Replacing clutches is the only thing I have not repaired myself in 14 years of Volvo ownership and I do like to repair my own car so I know it is done right and they seem to have reconnected and seated all the components back in the correct place which is a plus!. Luckily no DMF needed as that would have been a killer. Mental idea putting the slave inside the bell housing, makes life harder and more expensive for us home mechanics.

Is it just me or do you find the clutch pedal annoyingly high? It makes me want to rest my foot on there as it is a pain taking it off the pedal and resting my foor back on the floor and then back uip again. Resting your foot on the clutch pedal will wear out the thrust bearing early and I'm wondering if that is what has happened here?

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 09:06   #53
vagmuncher

Got in the car this morning and pedal went straight to the floor. So 97k for me.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 09:29   #54
Digidick

I got 30% discount from euro car parts last week with their discount code for my LUK flywheel, clutch kit and slave cylinder. Saved almost £200.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 20:03   #55
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digidick View Post
I got 30% discount from euro car parts last week with their discount code for my LUK flywheel, clutch kit and slave cylinder. Saved almost £200.
You can get discount from ECP all the time if you shop at their internet only website, carparts4less.

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/?gcli...FRGBfAodgkQAxg

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 20:30   #56
Digidick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
You can get discount from ECP all the time if you shop at their internet only website, carparts4less.

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/?gcli...FRGBfAodgkQAxg
Ahh cool, cheers.

They always have codes running ranging 15%-30% on the main site anyway.

At the time I needed all my stuff they had a clutch code for 15% but I had to call them to check stock and asked if they'd put the 30% code (spend over£150) onto my order instead as online it would only accept the 15% as I was buying a clutch so very kindly the bloke agreed to override the system and us it. I was already happy with 15%
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 13:52   #57
D5Nick

2004 S60 D5 with 90k on the clock and all the original CSC, Clutch and DMF as far as I know.

After reading all the posts in this thread I think I'll have all three replaced next year just to be on the safe side.....and that sounds like I'll only get change from a grand...

...Out of interest, how does a mechanic check the Clutch and DMF without taking half the car to bits? or it that exactly what they have to do? (just asking as it would be daft for me to fork out for replacing these items if it wasn't really necessary )
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 14:47   #58
uzyg

s60 2.0T 52 plate Concentric Slave Cylinder gave up at 165,000 miles. Was gutted as I was considering selling the car just before this happened.

Diagnosis was clutch pedal stuck to the floor although no signs of leaking fluid. After taking apart you could see the bearing went on the Slave cylinder and covered the clutch in fluid. The clutch plate itself had a fair amount of life left in it and DMF only had a little play in so was fine to keep in.

Managed to source a brand new LUK clutch for £50 (which was packaged as Motaquip but had LUK embedded stamps all over the actual clutch) and a Motaquip Slave Cylinder for £45 and £100 for labor costs from a colleague. So for £195 all in, wasn't a bad price at all

The chap that changed it said it was one of the longest jobs he has done with the subframe coming out and the sheer amount of wires/lead/connectors that need to be placed out of the way. The only hiccup we had was when it came to testing the car after everything had been changed as it wouldn't find gear nor would it bleed correctly. He thought the master cylinder may also need changing but thankfully it settled down after 30mins or so and all of a sudden all was well. Perhaps it was air locked in the system or the seals not popped back in place properly.

Got the car back and clutch is as light as a feather and biting point is low down with a great silky feel to it...Might just keep the car now and see how many more miles we can get out of it.
uzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 08:30   #59
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5Nick View Post
...Out of interest, how does a mechanic check the Clutch and DMF without taking half the car to bits? or it that exactly what they have to do? (just asking as it would be daft for me to fork out for replacing these items if it wasn't really necessary )
Unfortunately they can't Nick.....it all has to come apart.
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 14:11   #60
ondrugs

I'm having a problem with my '03 S80 D5 93k that i'm trying to figure out. I'm hoping it's not the clutch or gearbox.

Basically, I'm struggling to get into gear from stand still (any gear), but once it's in, all gears will engage - that's still while standing still with clutch depressed, cycling through the gears. If I go into neutral, release the clutch, I struggle getting into gear again.

When the car's moving though, no issues what so ever, athough 3rd has always felt a more difficult than others to get into.

What I haven't done is changed gears without the clutch while the car is off. Not sure what that would prove exatly.

There's no grinding, whining, slipping, and the clutch feels smooth.

What I'd love to hear is linkage bushes. What I don't want to hear is clutch, synchromesh or gear box.

Any input would greatly appreciated.
ondrugs is offline   Reply With Quote