Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 1018805

Replies : 6748

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2024, 17:33   #6701
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Whilst carefully avoiding politics Andrew, it concerns me that 31% of the electorate has committed our nation to madness.

I live in hope rather than optimism. By their deeds we will know them.
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 16:04   #6702
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's a 2002 (2nd gen/RD5) 2.0 petrol auto with the K20A4 engine. To be honest, it's a bit tricky to give you a definite answer to what it's like on fuel as i've had a few persistent but intermittent problems since i got it, making them very difficult to diagnose correctly for a long time.

The last fill up returned 27mpg (nearly 28mpg but i don't recall the exact figure) for normal use ( a few miles to a nearby forest for the dogs and back) but that was the last tankful with any of the intermittent problems present.
A recent long run only returned 26mpg but that was with at least one problem present. However, i have now got to the bottom of that problem so my next fill will give an indication if things are improving. The one after that should give a more definitive figure.
I suspect i still have one minor problem that should be sorted in the next couple of days before my next fill. Most of the problems i've had with it have been down to incomplete or missed servicing although one was down to a failed new component.

Are you thinking of buying one?
I've always liked the look of the CR-V. I like the high driving position, the space that it has to offer and the size of the car itself seems just right. Plus the Japanese cars are known for their reliability. I know you've had niggles with yours, but its 22 years old. Most cars would be in the scrap yard long before that, so the reliability is there.

I think petrol is better for me. My current car (Volvo S80) is diesel, but I don't do many miles. I make sure that it gets trips on the motorway though when possible to keep the DPF happy, but I wouldn't have to do that if it was petrol. You're probably thinking why did I buy a diesel... Well, I fell in love with the car when I seen it, heard about the legendary D5 engine and the rest was history.

I like Volvo, but the petrol's are a bit too thirsty. The diesel's are good engines (at least the 5 cylinder ones are), but again, it doesn't really get used enough to warrant a diesel engine. SUV wise and Volvo... I don't really class the XC60 as an SUV. It looks quite squashed and rear space is poor. The XC90 is a better alternative for space/size, but its too big and the road tax is steep on the older models.

So its a situation whereby if I was to change, I'm not sure really what to buy. I don't think it would be a car, it would be something with a higher driving position for ease of getting in and out of for my parents and my disabled Sister. Don't get me wrong, the S80 is a lovely car, but I see them struggling getting in and out because its quite low down. Plus, with it being an older diesel, the road tax is approaching £400 a year (and rising no doubt).

I think the shocks are getting a bit worn on my car. Not that there's any rattles or bangs over bumps, but it just feels harsher than it used to. At 111k, I'm thinking the shocks are probably worn and need replacing. I've done lots to the car during my ownership... It doesn't want for much (I don't think) apart from shocks, but its an old car now.

Maybe I'm best sticking with what I have, but I'm unsure whether I should get something newer. In saying that, the car is a high spec and it has most of what the new ones have. I'm struggling to find something with similar spec without having to spend thousands.

I don't think my next car will be a Volvo though, as the newer ones are too expensive and the road tax is too high on the petrol's, plus low mpg. I don't think another diesel is the right call for me, based on the mileage I do.
I wouldn't want something older than what I have. I'd like to go up 3 years or so.

So I'm looking for;

-SUV or something that has a higher driving position
-Decent rear space/boot space
-Automatic only
-Some "mod cons" like air conditioning and cruise control, not base spec
-Petrol, but not a complete petrol guzzler
-Something that's reliable and not a complete lemon

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 8th, 2024 at 16:20.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 18:12   #6703
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Two points to clarify, one as a ASHP owner, and one as a moderator:

1) Several of the points made here about ASHPs are demonstrably incorrect, and display an ignorance of how they work...but rest assured that my system successfully heated the (lossy) upper floor of my stone-walled house with single-glazed un-sealed windows to 23 Celcius when the ambient temperature was close to zero.

In fairness, a friend had a system installed in her house around the same time as mine, and hers has been a disaster - expensive to run, and the house simply doesn't get warm. System design is absolutely critical, unlike with oil or gas boilers where there is some wiggle room, but they are not a white elephant. Right now, I wouldn't switch from gas to ASHP (on running cost grounds), but it is attractive against almost any other energy source, assuming you have some cash up-front for installation. The issue is likely to come in the form of unskilled people specifying them if they become mass-market. Huge upskilling will be required if it's going to be a success.

I could go on (honestly...you won't want to open that can of worms...I could bore you to tears on this subject...!), but I'm hoping you'll just take my word for it - do it right, and it can absolutely be a success.

2) Although talk of politics is officially banned, it is tolerated as long as it's kept cordial...so keep it cordial, please, all!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 11:10   #6704
Steve 940
Premier Member

Default Now Then !!!!

Well I can't see a huge amount wrong with this one?? Enjoy....

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction...pp=48&pn=1&g=1

Cheers
Steve

PS - got carried away, have scrolled through the rest of the photos, and arches look as though getting a bit frilly. Could be a forum user as a note saying for sale due to Amazon purchase??

Last edited by Steve 940; Jul 9th, 2024 at 11:13.
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 12:18   #6705
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Well I can't see a huge amount wrong with this one?? Enjoy....

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction...pp=48&pn=1&g=1

Cheers
Steve

PS - got carried away, have scrolled through the rest of the photos, and arches look as though getting a bit frilly. Could be a forum user as a note saying for sale due to Amazon purchase??
Looks kind of familiar, it's not the one that was up for >£10k recently is it?

Wouldn't be as worried by the rear arches as the fact it appears to have a Pulsair system on it, they can be troublesome.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 20:52   #6706
Steve 940
Premier Member

Default Our Laird’s Holy Grail…..

You’d really need to want one for that money…

https://www.graemehunt.com/inventory...lcraft-estoura

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 22:32   #6707
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Nice, but I'd offer about £10k less than the asking price.

--------------------------------------
A cheeky little number for the lad.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 22:53   #6708
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
You’d really need to want one for that money…

https://www.graemehunt.com/inventory...lcraft-estoura

Cheers
Steve
Oh dear. The clutch is worn (signified by the excesively high clutch pedal and possibly as a result of the blocked breathers), the engine breathers are blocked (oil pressure should be 35psi max at 2000rpm or above when hot, blocked breathers allow crankcase vapours that should be burned by the engine to build pressure and blow seals), the "V8" badge on the tailgate is crooked (so will need a massive tailgate repair and the holes drilled correctly), the tyres are the wrong size (should be 185/70HR14 not 185/80/14), front door internal release levers are wrong (should be same style as rears) and they've lost 30+bhp by fitting P38 Range Rover heads on it!

No doubt if i studied the ad and pictures more deeply i could find other anomalies but for near on £36k i would expect it to at least have those details correct! Just noticed it's also missing the factory fit front fog lights, originally Wipac or Cibie if memory serves but Lucas DX95s were a popular retrofit.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 23:18   #6709
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Oh dear. The clutch is worn (signified by the excesively high clutch pedal and possibly as a result of the blocked breathers), the engine breathers are blocked (oil pressure should be 35psi max at 2000rpm or above when hot, blocked breathers allow crankcase vapours that should be burned by the engine to build pressure and blow seals), the "V8" badge on the tailgate is crooked (so will need a massive tailgate repair and the holes drilled correctly), the tyres are the wrong size (should be 185/70HR14 not 185/80/14), front door internal release levers are wrong (should be same style as rears) and they've lost 30+bhp by fitting P38 Range Rover heads on it!

No doubt if i studied the ad and pictures more deeply i could find other anomalies but for near on £36k i would expect it to at least have those details correct! Just noticed it's also missing the factory fit front fog lights, originally Wipac or Cibie if memory serves but Lucas DX95s were a popular retrofit.
Hi Dave,

Well that is a very comprehensive analysis of the shortcomings, this is a dealer who has some stock in the £500k+ probably proves that you should be advising them 😀

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 11:37   #6710
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
...the engine breathers are blocked (oil pressure should be 35psi max at 2000rpm or above when hot, blocked breathers allow crankcase vapours that should be burned by the engine to build pressure and blow seals)...
Surely breathers have nothing to do with oil pressure...? Crankcase pressure, yes, of course, but not oil pressure!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post: