Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 875134

Replies : 1195

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2014, 09:10   #681
owenfackrell
Premier Member

I had the nokian WR3 SUV tyres fitted 5000 miles ago and thought I would give some feed back on them. The tread has drop around 1mm in that time. They have been to the south of France where the temps were in the mid 30's. They are quite and grip well giving good confidence even in torential down poors. The mpg on the car has improved since fitting them compared to what was on there. Overall I would highly recomend them.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to owenfackrell For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 23:50   #682
ifzal123

continental 18" from my local supplier £150
ifzal123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 07:02   #683
T1sh0

Hello everybody,

I've had General Grabber UHP since July 2014. I've done just over 37000km. Tires have been pretty good if the incident my wife had last Friday driving 130km/h on the motorway( in Poland 140km/h is allowed).

Right rear tire burst and she told me that it took her good 200-300m before she was able to stop in the emergency lane. She drove in left lane and nobody wanted to let her move to the right!!!

Anyway long story short even though tyre got busted she said that she hasn't had difficulties with handling of the car.

I need to wait until tomorrow to fit 4 brand new tires for this winter, I decided to try Barum Polaris 3 235/65/r17.

By the way those General Grabbers will be my last all season tires for sure!

And...at last photos of what was left of the tire!

http://s6.ifotos.pl/img/IMG2489JP_eaqhxqw.JPG

Outside part of the tyre is just next to it!

Last edited by T1sh0; Sep 14th, 2014 at 07:06.
T1sh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 09:46   #684
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1sh0 View Post
Hello everybody,

I've had General Grabber UHP since July 2014. I've done just over 37000km. Tires have been pretty good if the incident my wife had last Friday driving 130km/h on the motorway( in Poland 140km/h is allowed).

Right rear tire burst and she told me that it took her good 200-300m before she was able to stop in the emergency lane. She drove in left lane and nobody wanted to let her move to the right!!!

Anyway long story short even though tyre got busted she said that she hasn't had difficulties with handling of the car.

I need to wait until tomorrow to fit 4 brand new tires for this winter, I decided to try Barum Polaris 3 235/65/r17.

By the way those General Grabbers will be my last all season tires for sure!

And...at last photos of what was left of the tire!

http://s6.ifotos.pl/img/IMG2489JP_eaqhxqw.JPG

Outside part of the tyre is just next to it!
Hello T1sh0, are you of the opinion that the fact the tyre was all season was contributory to the blow-out? or were you just not that impressed with the tyre in general?
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2014, 21:22   #685
T1sh0

Hello TruckbusUK,

I believe that because of tyre being all season contributed to the blow-out. Temperature differences in Poland are very high. Last winter temperature dropped to minus 25-30. This summer was far too hot with temperatures of 40-45 for near a month. Three weeks ago I went to check tires and guys at my local tyre shop exchanged front to rear. They said that tires were not in great shape meaning not round anymore although there is still quite deep thread. Also tires started to screech while turning around 2 months ago. I wanted to change them to winter ones at start of October. Local tyre garage talked me out of winter Nokians due to many tires they fitted came already defected( not round in shape), I guess this might be connected somehow to tires being produced in Russia.

Tires were a bit too noisy and loads of small stones are getting stuck in the tread. Other than that they were pretty good and winter time I hadn't had any issues whatsoever.

So Barum Polaris 3 for this winter. I would have plenty of time to decide on summer tires for next year.
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 01:40   #686
agallo

Default Pirelli Scorpion Verde update

To start: XCO thank you for your post on alignment - will be scheduling mine shortly.

As far as the tires are concerned: they're awesome! We had a shot of snow here in Calgary - and drove through slush and some lightly covered snow and all I can say is: wow!
The tires are quite - and run beautifully. Tread-ware so far looks good, but still too soon to report though, as have only done less than 1000 kms.

I'll keep you posted.

Kind regards,
Angelo
Old Sep 16th, 2014, 21:25   #687
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by agallo View Post
To start: XCO thank you for your post on alignment - will be scheduling mine shortly.

As far as the tires are concerned: they're awesome! We had a shot of snow here in Calgary - and drove through slush and some lightly covered snow and all I can say is: wow!
The tires are quite - and run beautifully. Tread-ware so far looks good, but still too soon to report though, as have only done less than 1000 kms.

I'll keep you posted.

Kind regards,

Angelo

Thanks agallo you are welcome.

I am off to Scotland from Devon at the end of the week to give the beast a play in the mountains at fort william so the run up will be a good proving for mpg return and how they perform in general on different surfaces and I too love these tyres.
Very quiet and precise and the steering also seems better since the 4x alignment.
Looking at the weather forecast for today though with expected heatwave hear in uk it looks too much to ask for some snow where we are going.
I will give the forum some feedback re mpg return etc and how the tyres handle on a long run

Regards
Wherever you go............There you are!!!

Last edited by xco; Sep 16th, 2014 at 21:30.
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2014, 04:25   #688
xco
Premier Member

Smile

Hi all

Just come across an interesting site whilst doin my internet browse.

www.tyretest.com gives valueable feedback on the very topic of this thread.

Nice to see the Scorpion verdies all season fared rather well which makes me glad I chose them for my beast.
Old Sep 20th, 2014, 19:24   #689
semo

Long story short, if you want WR G2s, best to balance them on a Hunter roadforce machine. But make sure you specify "roadforce" and/or "gsp9700" as hunter do bog standard balancers too

Mounted 2 WR G2s today with a Hunter roadforce. One tyre needed 145g weights before a match-mount. So after the tyre was remounted, only 45g of weights were needed.

The other tyre actually needed more weights after remounting but it resulted in less pressure limit. Didn't really understand what p/limit was but the lower it is (in nm), the better.

With the previous set, one of the WR G2s needed 170g! But since that was on a normal balancer, this was the best you could achieve.

Problem is, the cost for the job including changing and disposing of the old tyres was around £27 per corner which is quite high.

Can someone comment on how well the WR 3 SUV tyres balance and how much weight they require?

Last edited by semo; Sep 20th, 2014 at 19:30.
semo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to semo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2014, 22:43   #690
xco
Premier Member

Hi all,
Just been to Scotland from Devon on a 1 week 1400 mile round touring trip and time to report back on the Scorpion Verdie All Season Tyres as promised.
Well I have to say they are absolutely wonderful.
The steering tracks superbly both on and off road (no snow up there yet so cant report on this yet but plenty of chance to run in grass,stones, gravel,mud and puddles) and I wasn't concious of any slip or run away, the tyres give a very sure footed and confident grip at all times both in the wet and in the dry.
I've done close on 2 k now since having the tyres fitted, they are ultra quiet and are starting to return better mpg being c rated in economy and 70- db rated on noise.
My mpg has gone from average 30mpg to 35mpg on motorway driving with cruise locked on 75mph and on the odd occasion coming back down from Scotland managed an incredible 37.4mpg!
Just waiting for the snow and ice to come to give out and out verdict and then summer to give rating in the heat but so far I think they are excellent tyres and I can highly recommend them as an all season tyre.
A perfect match for the xc90.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xco For This Useful Post: