Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rising Oil Levels

Views : 7249

Replies : 65

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2010, 20:06   #61
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

You would think with all this malarkey, the software upgrade would include displaying the oil level as soon as you start the car!!!
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 22:27   #62
Vecais

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej View Post
I didn't get the call and have emailed the dealer to complain. Worse than that, I have just checked the electronic dipstick and it is again showing over maximum and oil service required message is on. What is going on?
At this point I would demand to see the Service Manager face to face and ask that very question. It seems that they are fobbing you off.

If you don't get satisfactory action, can you try another dealer who wants your business and satisfaction?
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 23:14   #63
dodgyblue

I wouldn't bet another dealer would have a clearer idea what is happening. Volvo prides itself on its electronic diagnostics and the link back to sweden. all they will do is check with the computer and say they will refer to overseas. until Volvo hq finds a permanent fix.. I think we should just check levels regularly and harass the dealer if anything is amiss.
dodgyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 01:25   #64
Vecais

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyblue View Post
I wouldn't bet another dealer would have a clearer idea what is happening. Volvo prides itself on its electronic diagnostics and the link back to sweden. all they will do is check with the computer and say they will refer to overseas. until Volvo hq finds a permanent fix.. I think we should just check levels regularly and harass the dealer if anything is amiss.
What is strange that you and I and a few others have reported that the software upgrade has fixed the problem, however, a few others report that their problem in this respect continues.

Presumably the the dealers service is somewhat deficient for the owners who still have a rising oil level problem. If I was so affected I would demand a fix because clearly there is a fix available.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 04:13   #65
dodgyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais View Post
Presumably the the dealers service is somewhat deficient for the owners who still have a rising oil level problem. If I was so affected I would demand a fix because clearly there is a fix available.
I am still dubious about the "fix". I think they re-programmed the alert to be less sensitive but I'm fairly certain that the oil levels have risen. The issue is that when I sent the car in for the fix, they told me they drained the oil to 2/3 what would show on the manual dipstick. I confirmed that by a visual check of the manual dipstick the next morning when the engine was cold. The electronic dipstick however showed it to be full.

The last check I had, the manual dipstick read full and the electronic dipstick reported full as well. However, I'm not too worried mainly because volvo has now recorded that the car did suffer from this issue and I intend to get it serviced religiously at Volvo so if there is any engine issue that can be attributed remotely to the rising oil level, I'll get them then.
dodgyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 10:48   #66
XC60Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyblue View Post
I am still dubious about the "fix". I think they re-programmed the alert to be less sensitive but I'm fairly certain that the oil levels have risen. The issue is that when I sent the car in for the fix, they told me they drained the oil to 2/3 what would show on the manual dipstick. I confirmed that by a visual check of the manual dipstick the next morning when the engine was cold. The electronic dipstick however showed it to be full.

The last check I had, the manual dipstick read full and the electronic dipstick reported full as well. However, I'm not too worried mainly because volvo has now recorded that the car did suffer from this issue and I intend to get it serviced religiously at Volvo so if there is any engine issue that can be attributed remotely to the rising oil level, I'll get them then.
I was told by the technician who applied the software fix to my car that the electronic dipstick has been reprogrammed to 'read high' to ensure the car is underfilled to allow for additional 'oil' to enter via the sump.
XC60Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote