Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Restoration Project Considerations - Any Thoughts??

Views : 8661

Replies : 123

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2023, 13:50   #81
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I've read probably 1/4 of this thread so far Steve but one little bit of advice i can give from personal experience is don't go buying any big tools, no matter how much you "need" them, until the garage is at the minimum started as the foundations/floorspace but preferably has some walls.

It's amazing how quickly the big tools use the space up and before you know it, you've got the car, the big tools and you in and you can't slide a 0.010" feeler between you!

Also going on the general advice given, it might be prudent to get yourself a rotisserie for the stripdown/repair work and then a lift/ramp later and sell the rotisserie when the ramp arrives.
Alternatively, build a fire pit in the garden, put the rotisserie above it and stick a hog on it for a mahoosive hog roast!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2023, 14:19   #82
Steve 940
Premier Member

Well after a number of months, I had the very welcome email yesterday from our local planning, confirming our application to extend our single garage to large double has been approved.

Alan, aka 'Othen' had asked me to update this thread as we do the build, as I'm sure some of you guys have great ideas / hints etc. and pitfalls to avoid.

Summary of project is single skin brick / tile garage currently 5m long x 3m wide, and will be knocking front and one side wall down, remove existing concrete slab. Extend length of garage to 6.2m so I can get the 940 in as its just under 5m long, width will be a tad over 7m. Brick walls with piers as per regs, roof will have front pitch using the old tiles from the old roof, rear pitch will be a row of metal box profile at bottom, and upper row of sheets to be clear to allow daylight.

Door will be sourced electric roller door 4.5m wide x 2.2m high, one side door for easy access without having to use roller, no other windows.

Mains electric and water are already in the existing, but will need to re-route.

Electric, currently has a cable not sufficient to cope with my hoped plans on new kit, but fortunately our next door neighbour is recently retired sparks, so will get him to review.

Hopefully can run some 16/25mm tails through underground duct, and sort earthing etc.

Planned loads at the moment:-

Existing Woodwork Kit
3kw motor is on my combined table saw/planer thicknesser/spindle moulder.
1.5kw dust extractor for above.
Record CL3 wood lathe (may sell and use footprint for Myford metal lathe)??
Floorstanding drill press, not sure of motor load but not a huge draw.
Various hand held tools such as router, circular saw, jigsaw etc

New Toys, (I Mean Essential Tools) Planned Now or In Near Future

2 x Air Compressors, with a plumbed in ring around the workshop, drains filters etc to be confirmed. Compressors on outside of workshop wall in a brick cupboard with loads of sound deadening. Might need to duct fresh air into it and cooling fan???

Remote switching inside ?? Is it possible as instructions say switch on/off at compressor??

https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/...ic-3hp-hy3200s

Lift, and edging towards something like a Quick Jack as ceiling height is limited to around 2.4m, electrical load shouldn't be too much.

https://www.quickjacklift.co.uk/car-lifts/5000tl/

General wiring for plugs will be in trunking with metalclad sockets, lights probably will be LED workshop lights x 6/8 units

New concrete slab will be power floated, and white epoxy floor paint, walls will be painted white.

Right hand side wall will have a side door in the 6m run near the front corner, so around 4.5m run of bench with cupboards underneath. Thinking tambour office cupboards, so doors don't get in the way and to keep general dust and crap out of cupboards when cutting/grinding etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266195051499

Wall cupboards

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285286468861

Now I need to get one of the Machine Mart temporary tent garages to put on our patio so that everything that's in the existing garage can be kept as dry as possible while the build is underway. Oh, Mrs Steve940 not aware of this step ....

Also need to source new steel oil tank, will do a couple of extra coats of tank paint all over before putting in place, then get oil company to come and transfer oil circa 500lts or so currently, and take the old plastic one away as its classed hazardous waste.

Expect there is loads I still need to think about on this project, but that will do for now.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Steve 940; May 17th, 2023 at 14:22.
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2023, 15:16   #83
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
2 x Air Compressors, with a plumbed in ring around the workshop, drains filters etc to be confirmed. Compressors on outside of workshop wall in a brick cupboard with loads of sound deadening. Might need to duct fresh air into it and cooling fan???

Remote switching inside ?? Is it possible as instructions say switch on/off at compressor??

https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/...ic-3hp-hy3200s

Now I need to get one of the Machine Mart temporary tent garages to put on our patio so that everything that's in the existing garage can be kept as dry as possible while the build is underway. Oh, Mrs Steve940 not aware of this step ....

Also need to source new steel oil tank, will do a couple of extra coats of tank paint all over before putting in place, then get oil company to come and transfer oil circa 500lts or so currently, and take the old plastic one away as its classed hazardous waste.

Expect there is loads I still need to think about on this project, but that will do for now.

Cheers
Steve
Two compressors Steve? Are you sure you'll need that much air?

I'd say forget the second compressor and fit a dryer instead, you will need a cool air inlet and a hot air outlet (the dryer usually has a fan on it to cool the condenser) and the compressor has a fan on it and design a flap mechanism so in the winter it pulls cool air from outside and the heat it picks up from going over the compressor and dryer can be ducted into the workshop but the flap can be flipped so in the summer it pulls cool air (comparatively speaking) from the workshop and pushes it through the compressor enclosure and out of the vent.
Free heating in the winter and cooling in the summer - for the workshop at least.

By the way, your neighbour - is he a retired house basher or industrial/commercial sparks?

There are some areas where the two cross over but some things are different for domestic to industrial and you're putting yourself into a very grey area with an industrial installation in a domestic setting. Whether the powers that be determine it's a domestic hobby installation or a light industrial installation is where the problems may arise. I'd like to think the latests IEEE regs have worked themselves out on this but the last ones i knew fairly solidly had differences of opinion

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2023, 15:30   #84
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Dave,

Ha, Ha, yes I'd forgot to add on the kit list, I have a smallish blast cabinet, and that chews through air at quite a rate.

My thinking was to have 2 matching compressors with same motor powers, feeding into one hard plumbed ring. Day to day I can alternate switching each compressor, but when perhaps blasting/spraying i could have both on.

Need to make sure they both don't start up at same time.??

I had planned to have flexibles from compressor outlet to hard line, then running into the usual filter/dessicant dryers, on the branch output I will use for impact wrench or suchlike then I will need an oiler.

Will ideally need an output with filter that can run air fed mask.

Yes the neighbour is a bit of both really, as he was doing a lot of schools/police station installations, and a bit of domestic as required.

Cheers
Steve
Old May 17th, 2023, 16:56   #85
griston64
Premier Member

wonder if I can persuade the missus that she needs a car lift more than the Kettler Garden furniture I'm about to shell out on ?
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2023, 17:30   #86
Steve 940
Premier Member

Nice one Mark,

Be much more useful, and you could use it to store your 740 so you don't need to sell it. Prey don't tell me the 740 proceeds are earmarked for 'garden furniture'!!!!!

Cheers
Steve
Old May 17th, 2023, 19:50   #87
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Nice one Mark,

Be much more useful, and you could use it to store your 740 so you don't need to sell it. Prey don't tell me the 740 proceeds are earmarked for 'garden furniture'!!!!!

Cheers
Steve
740 is sold so the proceeds will be going on the 940 and the spare engine big build

The Garden furniture is an extra expense so the ramp will have to wait ! Luckily my mate has a garage with 5 lifts so its not as if I'm stuck
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2023, 07:26   #88
Othen
Premier Member

This is good news Steve, congratulations.

Old May 22nd, 2023, 14:36   #89
Steve 940
Premier Member

First official day of semi retirement, so time to crack on with the garage project.

Meeting with Building Regulations booked next week, just an informal site visit where hopefully he can get a overview of what we are looking to achieve, and also identify any potential problem areas.

First step to clear all the general crap from the old car port area, just how many empty flower pots does a woman need???

Four trips to local recycling centre only 1 mile away fortunately, and it hardly looks as though I've made a dent in the pile of stuff marked "we'll keep that as it will come in handy later"

Change of plan slightly, in that I was going to put all my tools/equipment in one of those temporary garages from Machine Mart, but as they are circa £3-£400 I'm now going to hire a Luton with tail lift for around £110 and take the kit to my elderly mothers empty garage as that will keep it all dry much better.

Cheers
Steve
Old May 25th, 2023, 13:12   #90
Steve 940
Premier Member

Building Regs chap called for initial site visit, overall a good meeting with no foreseeable issues, but......

Original plan was to have roof covering in steel box profile with clear sheets inserted to provide daylight into workshop. Regs not happy with that, and wants membrane layer also, and if I want daylight then I'm going to have to get Velux type of Windows and flashings etc.

Hey ho, I knew the project would escalate, but will need 3-4 roof lights I'd guess, so not a cheap requirement.

Cheers
Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post: