Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Garrat GT1749V turbo cartridge swap?

Views : 595

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2017, 13:27   #1
tttonyyy

Default Garrat GT1749V turbo cartridge swap?

My turbo has recently become very noisy with loss of boost, and is very sluggish in the morning until the oil warms up.

Has anyone here swapped the core cartridge on their turbo with one of the eBay < £100 ones with any success?

My V40 has the D4192T3 engine with Garrat GT1749V turbo. The CHRA cartridge seems to be common across many cars including the Renault Lagunas, but I'm wondering whether a core swap is something that can be done DIY without any re-balancing?
tttonyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 16:26   #2
Jebus
VOC Member

If its a core swap then it will be a complete unit, and should be balanced and ready to go.

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 17:05   #3
tttonyyy

Great. I've got the core on order.

Free'd up the turbo exhaust and manifold nuts today with a load of penetrating oil when the turbo was hot. Not bad for 180k of motoring. Just one under the exhaust manifold that is hard to get to, will worry about that and the oil feeds when the core arrives.
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 11:23   #4
Jebus
VOC Member

Good going, hopefully it will all behave when going back it may be worth getting a new oil feed for the turbo since you are replacing the core, they do have a habit of getting gunked up

Old Jul 7th, 2017, 11:34   #5
tttonyyy

A local garage warned that turbos relatively high on an engine can become oil starved without a pressure warning light shown on the dash. They recommended checking the oil feed too.

It looks like a fairly windy long pipe, so taking it off for a clean seems like a sensible idea. I have no idea what the previous owners did as far as oil service interval, so it could well be sludged up!
The Following User Says Thank You to tttonyyy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 22:30   #6
tttonyyy

Removing the turbo was fairly straightforward.

Spot the missing chunk... Presumably ingested by the engine! Or, hopefully, stuck in the intercooler.

No spring clips on this one, just some very rusty bolts that took a lot of blow torch and penetrating fluid and rocking back and forth to ease out.

Felt a bit wrong laying into the turbo spindle with a lump hammer to separate it, but needs must! Did lose a few of the pins and guide bearings from the variable vanes on the floor though - didn't think about that. Fortunately found again.

Last edited by tttonyyy; Jul 14th, 2017 at 22:56.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 23:03   #7
Jebus
VOC Member

Looks a fun way to spend a Friday evening beer and turbos, once its all apart give it a bloody good clean, you tube has some great videos on turbo rebuilds and cleaning/ VNT stuff.

Not bad for a Renault engine on a 180k!

Old Jul 15th, 2017, 16:53   #8
tttonyyy

Not so good.

All fitted and seemed to be going well. Can hear it spin when blipping the throttle - but any time it gets under load it lets a load of oil into the exhaust. Back to idle and it burns off and returns to clean, but any loading and blue smokey smoke smoke.

I've spent all of Friday evening and most of today on it so I'm feeling pretty narked off with it. I note the part is from china... it wasn't a perfect fit to the hot end and wobbled a bit, so possibly distorted from crunching up the bolts?

Oil feed I know is good, pretty much filled a 2l milk carton within 60 seconds, was shooting out.

I've contacted the eBay seller to see what he says.

Might have been better just getting one from a breaker.